Where are we with fish finders?

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
AndrewRawlingson

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:02 pm

My little boy may have trashed my beloved Humminbird (what a joy it is to be a parent :@), so will be looking for something new. Particularly painful as I just got it working properly after a load of SLA/wiring/internal battery issues ;(

Criteria:

1. Integrated mount/electrical connections like on the old Humminbirds. Such a good system. Sadly, I don't think any manufacturer does this any more, so may have to compromise.

2. CHIRP (why not!).

3. Down imaging (just fancy it).

4. Integrated GPS chartplotter, preferably Navionics compatible.

5. Waterproof, or at least water-resistant.

6. Not touch screen, or at least the option to be not touch screen.

Any recommendations? Haven't been hearing great things about Lowrance or Furuno. I'm drawn to the Helix series, but that's probably just because I like Humminbird.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:29 pm

I have a 9 inch Garmin Echomap 95sv which does everything you've listed there, including #1

The only thing, it doesn't take Navionics, they have their own map (which is good) PLUS quickdraw (which I love!!!)
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:23 pm

cheers sk8e8. i'll definitely look in to that one. any chance of a photo of how you mounted it?

i should have added quickdraw (or equivalent) on to my wishlist. bloody cool!

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:39 pm

I got someone to do it for me. Mounted on the cup holder, on an SS custom bracket.

I bought it with the GT51M transducer, and had that mounted on the ride plate on the ski. Been up to 60km/h and still reading the bottom.

Can put some pics up later if you want. I think Mad Mike has the exact same setup on his boat??
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:23 pm

sk8e8 wrote:I got someone to do it for me. Mounted on the cup holder, on an SS custom bracket.

I bought it with the GT51M transducer, and had that mounted on the ride plate on the ski. Been up to 60km/h and still reading the bottom.

Can put some pics up later if you want. I think Mad Mike has the exact same setup on his boat??
no, that's good. cheers.

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:02 pm

So, HLD's trick for fixing it has worked again. Phew :sweat: That's $1k saved at least. Has made me think about what's coming next though.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:39 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:So, HLD's trick for fixing it has worked again. Phew :sweat: That's $1k saved at least. Has made me think about what's coming next though.
:y: That fix has worked a lot!
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

• Information