View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Battery charging? 

Post Battery charging?
Just when you thought everything related to fish finder batteries had been discussed already!

How do you charge your battery?

Constantly when not in use?

Before/after each trip?

Before each trip?

Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Post Re: Battery charging?
Before/after each trip though I don't mind leaving it on charge when I forget to unplug it.

Have been forgetting to put it on charge lately and my new FF was set to not have a battery alarm, so now it seems to never get fully charged :(

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=63cm, J.D.=39cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:23 am

Depends on the battery and charger:

For my SLA batteries I use chargers that are designed specifically to remain connected so they can periodically condition check the battery and keep it in premium order. While they're more expensive to purchase initially they've greatly extended the life of my batteries and ensure they're fully charged whenever I need them. Also negates the need to periodically charge SLA's (e.g. once a month) when not in use.

For my Lithium batteries I NEVER charge them without monitoring them i.e. if I go out or head to bed I stop charging. This means that once charged I always disconnect them.

ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:34 am
Profile WWW

Mine is SLA and I charge it after every trip and put it on the charger again before I head out. Works well.

"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:41 am

MikeAqua wrote:
Mine is SLA and I charge it after every trip and put it on the charger again before I head out. Works well.

Yeah, that's what I do normally, then last time I didn't recharge just before I went fishing, battery went to shit quite quickly, followed by the FF (see other thread).

I have a CTEK smart charger which I use on my jetski battery. I believe this has sorted my FF. It's now charging normally.

Moving on, I don't know whether to go back to what I was doing before...

OR

keep the SLA attached to the charger when not in use, charger is similar to this:

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/12v-1-amp-seal ... r/p/MB3526

OR

buy another expensive CTEK charger and leave that attached when not in use.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:49 pm

It's an interesting problem: how expensive is an expensive charger?

I've opted for a CTek. Since going to it I've not had to replace a battery despite my cycling them extremely deep on the large sounders I use. Previous to this I used a good quality budget charger (roughly $35-$40) and was getting around 2 years out of a battery before performance dropped to the point it needed replacing as it couldn't last a full session on the water. Since I'm using 12Ah batteries at around $70 each the CTek charger has already more than paid for itself in savings on replacement batteries.

Using fuzzy logic I might even be able to argue my charger is now making me money because I'm not buying replacement batteries :lol:

ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:43 pm
Profile WWW

Limitless wrote:
It's an interesting problem: how expensive is an expensive charger?

I've opted for a CTek. Since going to it I've not had to replace a battery despite my cycling them extremely deep on the large sounders I use. Previous to this I used a good quality budget charger (roughly $35-$40) and was getting around 2 years out of a battery before performance dropped to the point it needed replacing as it couldn't last a full session on the water. Since I'm using 12Ah batteries at around $70 each the CTek charger has already more than paid for itself in savings on replacement batteries.

Using fuzzy logic I might even be able to argue my charger is now making me money because I'm not buying replacement batteries :lol:

Good post. Looks like I'll be buying another CTEK :y:

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ] 

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:07 pm