Maiden voyage

Taranaki region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
vr4king

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Right tomorrow im gonna go on my maiden voyage, Thinking about Wai-iti/Whitecliffs after work(4pm)
I have never even been out there for a look..........
Do i need to be wary of certian tides?
Where not go when i get there?

I'm only gonna take one rod and some bait as this will be my 1st yak trip EVER and am more intersted in just having a paddle but just cant bring myself to not chuck a line over

Gonna leave my anchor behind too and just drift around.

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 pm

All the best vr4king :y:

I can't give you much advice about the area apart from.... Don't forget your paddle and pfd.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

kpofisha
Kayak Make: Handcrafted
Kayak Model: JEM Wadefish 15-32

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:29 pm

Good luck vr4king, lets us know how it goes.

The only thing I can tell you about Waiiti Beach is that it is best to launch and return from the north side of the stream.
I have been told the south end (around the rocky areas) has a tricky current that can quickly see things going pear shaped.
Life is measured in achievement, not in years alone - Bruce McLaren

JEM Wadefish 15-32
Cobra Fish 'n Dive

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 pm

All the best :y: Re the anchor - I would still carry it as if you'r drifting or getting blowen somewhere and can't paddle against the flow for whatever reason you can anchor up and wait for conditions to improve or some assistance, Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it!

mikG
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: FnD

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:38 pm

Good luck mate. Im heading out tomorrow either BBK or further north. Went down to waitara river tonight and got a couple of kahawai for bait. Good advice about taking ya anchor i reckon, ya never know when you may need it.

Flowrider
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Flowrider

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Those spots are better left for when you have a bit of experience or at least going with a buddy. for your first paddle I would recommend just heading out at the port just to get the feel of the kayak. There might be someone from here heading up there in the weekend you could hook up with and learn the ropes quicker. Just keep an eye on this forum to see who is going.
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

crabman
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ???

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Im most likely going to be fishing out from wai-iti from about mid day on Saturday
Will probably be looking at heading towards the 30m mark for a decent paddle.
I agree with Flowrider that you should look to buddy up even though WC is normally pretty safe.
Have you got any paddle experience?

vr4king

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Cheers guys

I will chuck the anchor in then, I have paddled once before and own a boat so I'm fairly confident in and around the water, I also do a fair bit of free-diving too.
The reason I wanted to head out those ways is I have fished a fair bit around the port and north and north ALWAYS produces more.

My main concern is if there is big surf/swell and not to sure what tides are ok for launching out there.

I was thinking about just getting so wont go to far out.
And yes I have PFD etc

vr4king

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Well I ended up heading out off bell block around 4.30pm paddled out just past the reef where the BIG waves break and slightly north of that.

And within a few mins off droping some bait I got hit hard thought to myself YUS its on.........But soon realised it was a dirty ray i was fighting but perserverd and got my hooks back.
Figuired out i was drifting north so paddled back towards the reef again and dropped nmore bait and BOOM a 40cm gurnard was stoked with that so only hung round for about another 30mins then headed back in

Learnt a few things,
1. You guys that paddle out far are fit.
2. My silly looking chilly bin in the back is staying put(makes a mint back rest when chilling out)
3. The "fisn n dive" is a barge and aint no speed demon.
4. Keep an eye out if your drift fishing for where your headed as it can creep up on you.
5. I need a trolly
6. I need rod holders.
7. If you pack gloves wear em(got blisters on my hands now).........and i packed gloves.

Cant wait to get out again now clean up was a breeze compared to the boat.

PS I could be looking for a crew member for boating on Sat if anyones keen in return for maybe taking me out yak fishing in the future.

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:23 pm

vr4king wrote:Well I ended up heading out off bell block around 4.30pm paddled out just past the reef where the BIG waves break and slightly north of that.

And within a few mins off droping some bait I got hit hard thought to myself YUS its on.........But soon realised it was a dirty ray i was fighting but perserverd and got my hooks back.
Figuired out i was drifting north so paddled back towards the reef again and dropped nmore bait and BOOM a 40cm gurnard was stoked with that so only hung round for about another 30mins then headed back in

Learnt a few things,
1. You guys that paddle out far are fit.
2. My silly looking chilly bin in the back is staying put(makes a mint back rest when chilling out)
3. The "fisn n dive" is a barge and aint no speed demon.
4. Keep an eye out if your drift fishing for where your headed as it can creep up on you.
5. I need a trolly
6. I need rod holders.
7. If you pack gloves wear em(got blisters on my hands now).........and i packed gloves.

Cant wait to get out again now clean up was a breeze compared to the boat.

PS I could be looking for a crew member for boating on Sat if anyones keen in return for maybe taking me out yak fishing in the future.
Well done! You'll keep learning - every trip,
you'll get fitter,
don't worrie about how things look its function that matters,
speed ain't everything stability is good,
a drouge will slow drift speed
trollys help but rod holders are essential
and blisters heal and your hands get tougher!
keep at it and watch out - it gets addictive :lol:

Tanglewoods
Kayak Model: P400

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:53 am

Well done.
I went off BB at about 9:30am. I was in 8m of water.
4 small keepers and a 640mm snapper
7 good sized Kahiwai most put back.
1 eel
3 small Blue Cod
4 sharks to 2m long.
So a very active morning, bring on the summer schools. It was dead calm at about 12. Not a bad day at all.

Bamalang
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:22 am

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!

Nice work bro! Glad to see you had a bit of fun!!!! :)

mikG
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: FnD

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:16 am

Nice work mate, i was out off BBK from 12 till 3. Saw tanglewoods out there. Unfortunately i had a mare!! Even though i moved a couple of times i kept getting snagged. Pulled up some reef couple of times. All i got was sunburn haha.
I got a fish n dive to mate, like a bloody battleship with a 45hp aye? haha. Concur about chilly bin and rod holders :)
Was frustrating not to catch any fish as i had small baitfish hiding by kayak, a school of something (small kahawais maybe?) couple of metres away, kahawai swimming past and i think i may of even seen a snapper swim past! Although by that stage i may of been sunstruck!

vr4king

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Hey mikG............I prob saw you guys when I went and had a scout out about 1pm I basically went were I saw you guys hahahahaha

There were a few more guys out further than me when I was out but they came in earlier
Stupid me didnt even know about that boat ramp till I was paddling in so it was a mission to carry the beast down the rocks ,Then when paddling in i saw it and thought to myself what a dick head i drove right past it to.

Oh well now I know.
Thinking about heading again friday after work wanna go with another though and anchor up as i just drifted last time.

Tanglewoods

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:30 pm

vr4king, paddle straight out off the ramp aiming for the right hand edge of the reef. Then about 50m before the reef turn right 45 degrees and paddle out past the reef. I can use this method to safely go in and out in 2m plus swells. Just never return at high tide with a swell running. The back wash makes damage a very real prospect.
Yes, definitely anchor and when you are braver burly too.

vr4king

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Thats about what I did

It must have been you two hanging around when I went down foor a look earlier in the day.
How far out do you normaly go?.........Seems very shallow where I was fishing but then again im used to boat fishing.
The other two that were out when I went out were quite far out. I wasnt that keen for my first time.

Tanglewoods

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:59 pm

I fish 8-18m. I pick a direction and paddle. I stop when one of these gets me excited.
1. The sounder tells me it "believes" fish to be under me.
2. Kahiwai on the surface.
3. Current lines if all else fails.

Forget about depth! I have been fishing in 4m just north of the reef and back toward the beach. Caught snapper and then it went quiet. All of a sudden 3 Orca, one big male and a mum and calf turn up. Also 4 years ago I sore a 21 lb snapper get caught by a young girl surf casting.

vr4king

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Sweet cheers

Yeah ive heard of big fish being caught shallow so really wasnt fussed about it.
You got plans to head out this weekend?
Ill prob try to get out again in the yak if i cant find someone to help out with the boat.

vr4king

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Well went to the same place today and had some big excitement..............A thresher shark bigger than the yak damm thing didnt even know it was hooked it swam up to the yak without to much of a fight I SHAT my pants but was pumped at the same time but still cut it free.

Still managed a few gurnad and a kahawai and an eel............only kept the gurnad as got a fridge full of fish from boating yesterday.

Need to get a go-pro cam for these times

Still buzzing about the shark.

• Information