Taranaki Classic 2017 Team mate

Taranaki region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:14 am

Hello all ,
I'm coming over again for the classic and i was looking for someone to fish with that knows the area . we will be staying in urenui. if anyone needs a keen team mate i'm keen as . i just didnt have many ideas on where the heck i was going last year,

cheers :rock:
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.4kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
35cm Trevally - Te Awanga
Est 30kg Thresher Shark Released - Urenui

zaktheyaker
Kayak Model: 440

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:24 am

what area did you fish last year?
PB
Snapper 21.7lb
Gurnard 0.89kg
Kahawai 3.00kg

Epicskwid

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:47 am

Started out just north of tongaporutu which i think is white cliffs. all the sponsored guys went out through the big surf , i wasn't keen on going through that in my 2.9m yak so i fished urenui for 1 kahawai. I don't think i was deep enough but i was with no-one else who knew the area it was also quite lumpy. second day i fished the port and got a john dory on a live-bait and that was my classic basically. I have a 4.1m kayak this year.
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton

Flowrider
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Flowrider

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:00 pm

White cliffs is just past Wai iti, before you go over Mt Messenger. WC is also called Pukearuhe, down the end of Pukearuhe road. Tongaporutu is over the other side of Mt Messenger further north.
It depends a lot on the conditions where the best spots will be and also what you want to target. Urenui and north you usually get snapper and gurnard plus kahawai and occasional trevs and kingies and is mainly sand bottom. South is where the blue cod are mainly as there is more reef and rocky ground and also closer to deep water for tuna and there are some good kingy spots south also. You already found a good JD spot :y: Big snapper always get pulled in from both north and south locations.
If you are after the most species you might need to move around to 2 or 3 different spots to target different fish.
My advice from my experience at Urenui is to fish at anchor between 10m-18m with both ledger rig and stray line and use burley and also chunk up bait. Good baits are pillies and also kahawai or squid are good if baits getting stolen.
I will probably try and fish north one of the comp days so you are welcome to come along if you like.
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

Epicskwid

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Cheers for the great information Flowrider,
I'm looking to target a large snapper along with gurnard, kahawai, trevally on the ledger and the John Dory. I know what i'm doing for the JD. I haven't done a lot of stray-lining so i may have to look into doing it on my soft-bait rod which can also do lures. I saw a lot of large snapper caught on slow-jigs. Thanks for the offer of letting me tag along i will be sure to PM you when i'm over there. can't wait for the comp :rock: Time to make a plan :rock:
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton

nakiyaker
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 44o

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:29 pm

I be keen to team up with ya if ya want mate. Urenui is a good spot we fished it the Sunday last year and got fish to 5kgs. Flow is bang on the money ya gotta get a good trail going. Check out the maniyaks vid on YouTube from 2014 he got a 20 pounder in 8 meters on the ledger rig of urenui. I'll be fishing urenui 1 day of the comp depending on the weather. Follow flowriders advice and you will get into some fish

Epicskwid

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:09 am

I was staying with the maniyaks at vr4king's house last year. They went off tongaparutu and got snapper up to 18 pound, i was at urenui saturday. I didn't have berly down and got undersize snapper and a kahawai that was it. The main reason i put up this post is just so i have some people out there in the area to fish with plus some backup . Vr4king is going to join me the saturday at urenui so hopefully i'll see a few of you out there.
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton

• Information