Whangarei / Waipu cove trip

BOI/Northern region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:46 pm

Hello northland kayakers.
I will be up in northland in the whangarei / waipu cove area if all goes to plan late march.
Would anyone be keen for some pointers of the area or maybe even showing me around if its a nice day, i'm keen as to get into something decent out there. Any tips for good areas to start would be very helpful ( can be up and down the coast a bit ). I was wondering about tutukaka and whangarei harbours as i love john dory and want to target some more along with snapper.
cheers guys,
-Blair
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
35cm Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi Blair

Happy to take you out on the ski if that is of interest, provided that your parents are cool with that, the weather is good AND I have a day off. You'd be surprised at how infrequently the latter don't line up :@ See if I can get you on to some of our big Northland snapper. I normally launch from Parua Bay (Whangarei Harbour) or Tutukaka.

There's lots of trip reports on Tutukaka. As for the harbour, if you decide to go out on the yak, bear in mind that it can be a nasty bit of water. Strong currents, lots of boats driven by idiots and it's surprisingly exposed to the prevailing southwesterlies.

Andrew

Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:05 am

Sounds great great andrew , my pb snapper is 40cm :D . I'd be totally fine with going out on a jetski ... as long as i'm fishing the craft doesn't really matter.. :y: It will be a weekend when we are up there . If the weather plays ball hopefully i'll be able to get into some fish straight off where we are staying in my yak too. Keep in mind i've only ever caught snapper on bait in hawkes bay so a bit new to soft-baiting / slowjigs . i have all the gear though. Thanks very much for the offer and advice :y:
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
35cm Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

• Information