View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Whangarei / Waipu cove trip 

Post Whangarei / Waipu cove trip
Hello northland kayakers.
I will be up in northland in the whangarei / waipu cove area if all goes to plan late march.
Would anyone be keen for some pointers of the area or maybe even showing me around if its a nice day, i'm keen as to get into something decent out there. Any tips for good areas to start would be very helpful ( can be up and down the coast a bit ). I was wondering about tutukaka and whangarei harbours as i love john dory and want to target some more along with snapper.
cheers guys,
-Blair

Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.4kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
35cm Trevally - Te Awanga
Est 30kg Thresher Shark Released - Urenui

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Post Re: Whangarei / Waipu cove trip
Hi Blair

Happy to take you out on the ski if that is of interest, provided that your parents are cool with that, the weather is good AND I have a day off. You'd be surprised at how infrequently the latter don't line up :@ See if I can get you on to some of our big Northland snapper. I normally launch from Parua Bay (Whangarei Harbour) or Tutukaka.

There's lots of trip reports on Tutukaka. As for the harbour, if you decide to go out on the yak, bear in mind that it can be a nasty bit of water. Strong currents, lots of boats driven by idiots and it's surprisingly exposed to the prevailing southwesterlies.

Andrew

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Post Re: Whangarei / Waipu cove trip
Sounds great great andrew , my pb snapper is 40cm :D . I'd be totally fine with going out on a jetski ... as long as i'm fishing the craft doesn't really matter.. :y: It will be a weekend when we are up there . If the weather plays ball hopefully i'll be able to get into some fish straight off where we are staying in my yak too. Keep in mind i've only ever caught snapper on bait in hawkes bay so a bit new to soft-baiting / slowjigs . i have all the gear though. Thanks very much for the offer and advice :y:

Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.4kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
35cm Trevally - Te Awanga
Est 30kg Thresher Shark Released - Urenui

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ] 

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:07 pm