stormy weathers in welly....

Wellington region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
fishboy
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: scrambler xt

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:52 pm

how are you folks in welly?? anyone been kayaking or at the beach??? was there a hoax about a kayaker gone missing or was that true??? hope you all doing alright down there....
There is simply no final PB in the fishing industry... Theres always gotta be a bigger one..

Paul in NZ
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Scupper pro - scrambler XT

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:51 am

I got it twice yesterday. I'm working in chch for my sins and when I got up at 5am it was dark and a very cold 5deg... sheesh... Thats why we left ChCh in the first place :lol: Later in the day we could see the front coming up and whammo - raining, cold as... brrr... Naturally during the only outdoors tasks of the day... :devil:

On the plane to wellie about 3pm - flew through the front and despite doing a lot of domestic travel via air it was one memorable bump coming through the front. Got back to the office about 4pm or so and whammo - front slammed the building again.... Quite dramatic as looking at it from the wellie airport rocking up the coast it looked to have gained impact, sigh... Rang Vicki to get her to batten down the hatches and around 6;30 let the wind blow me up the motorway... (hang on - up at 5am, home 7:30pm hmm, wonder why I don't get much fishing in?)

Cammie
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4893

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:21 am

It was certainly a great frontal system coming through, but "really no surprises there mate" (using the Mitre 10 advert phrase) as the frontal system had been forecast. The http://www.stuff.co.nz has some excellent photos.

The kayaker "wasn't" - quote from the Dom Post Police also started a search for a missing kayaker about 4.30pm, after someone reported seeing a person in trouble. They called it off about 7pm after the "kayaker" turned out to be a buoy.
Attachments
3443129.jpg
Storm front in Wellington harbour between city and Somes Island - from DomPost site
3443129.jpg (29.48 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
3443370.jpg
Met Service rain radar image
3443370.jpg (73.49 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Cam Ronald
Prowler Elite 4.5
ZMW4893

Patch
Kayak Make: Nissan
Kayak Model: floaty type
VHF Call Sign: Oi! Noddy . . .

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:45 am

I don't miss those storms/gale force winds :whew:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

:coffee: :^: :beer:

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:01 pm

was sitting at home in the lounge and saw the tree in the front yard dissapear as it got blown into the neighbors. cracked the trunk but mostly ok. the other tree got destroyed and there are tree branches down all along the street and these are branches with greater than 6 inch diameter was a scary five mins as the worst went past
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

Skonski
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3

Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:57 pm

What an awesome photo :clap:

fishboy
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: scrambler xt

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:42 pm

yea dude honestly that was a nice picture.....oh well its good to hear folks frm welly are aite then......so for now, get back out there and slay thoses snappers!!! :devil:
There is simply no final PB in the fishing industry... Theres always gotta be a bigger one..

• Information