Newbie in Wellington

Wellington region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
stevegr32

Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Hey all. Im Steve. Just moved up to Wellington from Dunedin. Im hoping my kayak arrives on Wednesday with the rest of my gear.

I was wondering if anyone would like to share any of their favourite spots in the harbour? or further afield.

Im not really after a certain species just be nice to catch a Kawahai, Snapper, Red Cod or even a Blue cod (my favouite :D )

As im used to fishing for Blue Cod in Dunedin using Squid and soft baits, is there anything i should be changing for fishing in Wellington to target any of the above listed species? I think i read somewhere that Kawahai like Pilchards.

Thanks and look forward to hearing some good tips :)

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Snapper around the wellington region is seasonal and very close to ending about now... Kahawai will take anything pretty much and i usually drag a lure/plastic around whenever i go out and will get a few. Blue cod well no real change from what you are doing. red cod i wouldnt bother with. or if you do get some and want to try them at least have them in teh fridge for a day that firms the flesh up. otherwise they are a bit soft and mushy. plenty of spots to launch from in the harbour and around the coast. terakihi is also around in good numbers.
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

Bamalang
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:52 pm

Hey Jae, here is some surf action from the Naki we did. Was hard work! 20mins and we were STUFFED!

Nice fish peeps!

Blazer60
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:45 am

Welcome. Makara and Pukerua are popular launching places, as are some of the beaches from Plimmerton going north.
Blazer60
Viking Reload ZMW5911

Ikwezinz
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:46 pm

Anyone have idea what this means, comes up when I try play some the videos posted on here on IPad, irritating to say the least Image

Profish 440

Hurley Burley
Kayak Model: Espri Angler

Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:13 pm

I think it means that when the user loaded the video on YouTube they have selected to be not available on mobile devices. I'm assuming you're viewing on tapatalk?
You can get round this in tapatalk by selecting the 3 little dots in top right corner and selecting web view. The video should then play. Works for me.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:48 pm

8) Nice filming Bam , one suggestion though -check your paddle orientation , on a fair few of the sequences it's upside down , the Propelz label should be right way up as guide -just twirl it 180 and she'll be right :y:

Ikwezinz
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks HB

Profish 440

Danfili
Kayak Model: Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6439

Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Welcome to Welly Steve , KF pretty much covered it. Elephant fish is a fun fish to catch in the harbour with light gear. see you out there sometime.
Kayak Fishing You Hooked Yet

Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF ZMT6439
https://www.facebook.com/LLKFT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bamalang
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:32 pm

So sorry for hijacking your thread bud. Was pretty certain I had posted this in another thread, not this one. :tmi:

Look forward to hearing about your adventures Steve! :y:

• Information