Versatile and affordable kingfish setup

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
aaronmic
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: none yet

Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:16 pm

Firstly, thanks everyone for sharing all of your vast knowledge, I have been lurking here for many months while leeching your fishing tips. I've gotten pretty good at catching a feed of snapper while softbaiting in Doubtless Bay, but as I explore offshore islands further south and start to see deep reef on my sounder, I feel myself getting sick with the kingi fever. Seems that jigging is the most effective and funnest way to target them, but I'm not able to afford a quality jigging set at the moment. Which limits me to softbaiting and livebaiting, as best as I can tell. I've read heaps of posts about people's kingfish setups on this site, but most were from 5+ years ago. Wanted to get some expert opinions before buying.

I was thinking about a Penn Spinfisher VI 8500 Live liner ($250), spooled with 50lb braid and flouro leader. That way I could drop a livie if I have one, or if not I could do a fast vertical retrieve with a softbait. The 6500 seems like plenty of line capacity, since the fish will tow me before spooling me, but it seems like the extra drag (40lbs on the 8500 vs 30lbs on the 6500) is important in stopping the fish from running to the bottom. I use the 4500 on my snapper setup and the drag is nice and smooth, but I have never used a bait runner reel before, and don't know if it would be suitable for multiple types of fishing. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:04 pm

If you're lining up for Stevies or the Cavs over the next few weeks, drop me a line if you'd like some company.
As for Kings, had a very decent one teasing me this morning, nutting itself on the yak and actively pushing the tub around, but laughing at anything and everything I sent over to tempt it.

Can't help you with a dedicated kit for kings though, they always seem to take the lightest set I have onboard :lol:
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:44 pm

I use a Penn Assassin rod and Penn Slammer III reel (IPX6 rated) for kingfish. It'll cast stick baits and big sofites, and work light mechanical jigs. I'd dare say it'd be fine for a bit of live baiting too. Budget is relative. It isn't a dirt cheap setup, but quite adaptable, so good value for money. I can provide specs if you're interested. By the way, I'm not a Penn fanboy, it's the only Penn gear I own!

aaronmic

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:03 am

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:44 pm
I can provide specs if you're interested.
Thanks Andrew, what size Slammer do you use? Is it important to have that bigger reel for more stopping power? A 6500 and 8500 are the same price, I'd rather go smaller if I don't need that extra 10lbs of drag.

aaronmic

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:22 am

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:04 pm
If you're lining up for Stevies or the Cavs over the next few weeks, drop me a line if you'd like some company.
Thanks HLD, I'd be very keen to do a Cavs trip this week or next. Been eyeing them for months, but wanted a buddy go with. Weather should clear up by Thursday morning, but looks like strong westerly winds after that. I trust your judgement though, I'm game for any day.

I've laid awake in bed for the last 4 nights thinking about kingfish, maybe a 6km paddle into 20 knot winds is just what I need to cure my fish fever. PM'd you my contact info.

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:51 am

I actually use the 4500. Sounds small, but it's quite a big/heavy reel for the size rating compared to other manufacturers. It takes 240m 30lb braid which is enough for me, but I usually fish over clean ground. Max drag is 13.6kg which is ridiculous for the size reel and more than enough for kayak fishing. If you fish over reef, you might need heavier line and therefore a bigger reel.

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:46 am

I don't think you'd ever be able to exert anywhere near that max drag from a kayak (at least not without flipping your kayak). I'm sure I've heard it said that 7kg (~15lb) is about the max. You also need to remember that if the pressure comes off suddenly, you need to avoid going over backwards.

My kingi set is an old Shimano Speedmaster III on an Ocean Angler Carbonflex rod. I think the braid is 30lb, but I'm not sure because I bought it secondhand and he couldn't remember what he'd put on it. Its been enough to stop a few kingfish, though I've never really had to put the heat on one to stop it (I fish in low snag areas).
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

Smudger.aws
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution 16

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:14 pm

I caught my first legal kingie (1 metre) a couple of weekends back, off Langs Beach, using a 60g Kubara, 6kg braid, Shimano Saragosa 5000 reel and a K Labs softbait/spinning rod. Took over 20 mins to get it to the gaff!

Return to “Tackle and Accessories”

• Information