Have you a good set of split ring pliers/cutters?

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:53 pm

Mine sucks. It was a cheap Ocean Angler pair and it hasn't even lasted a Summer. I'm hoping to buy something that'll last many years. Split rings, hook removing, cutting braid. Trying to find one tool that will do the lot unless there's a good reason to have multiple tools.

If you are happy with yours or know of a great set, can you let us know what brand and where from please? Thanks.

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Have a look at the Boomerang braid snips. I know you said you want an all-in-one tool, but I’ve yet to come across one that does the job with braid after a bit of use.

kingiFiddler

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks for that. I know what you mean and have wondered if that might be a better option. Years ago I used to hang a set of nail clippers off my PFD when on the boat but they never held an edge for long. I've just ordered a few cheap clippers to see if that works out a better option.

That said though, along the lines of trying to simplify as much as possible, I'm still wondering if there is one tool that can cut, split, and help de-hook. It doesn't have to crimp. If going with just the one tool, there has to be spare cutter inserts available for it. I can't see why they couldn't be 4-edged (or at least 2-edged) like the inserts on my wood thicknesser. When one edge gets blunt, just loosen the set screw and rotate the insert 90 degrees for a fresh edge. Failing that, then as you suggested, a good pair of clippers as a separate tool.

If I had to guess I'd say 70% of the use when on the water would be cutting, 25% de-hooking and 5% split rings.

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:05 pm

I've been thinking about this too, since I've been fishing in my 'yak I've lost one knife, one Iki spike, one hook degorger and a head torch over the side.

I've sorted the knife stowage, and can use it for iki, now I'm going to find a decent set of pliers, that cut etc etc and work out how to keep them safe.

This place has all sorts of implements, I might order one.

https://www.banggood.com/search/fishing ... rtType=asc
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:28 pm

Bugger it, I just ordered a pair of these, from eBay :

At $2.85 free shipping and a couple o weeks waiting for delivery, if I lose 'em, no worries, shoulda ordered 5 pairs I suppose.

VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

kingiFiddler

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I have seen that generic style on ali-express. Had to laugh how marine deals had 'em for about $15 but could get three of 'em here online for that price. Will be keen to see what you think of 'em and if they hold up for you.

Whilst I have a few things ordered, they are more experimental and I'm still thinking one tool to rule them all is the go. Just don't know where to get it from yet. Will probably wait until can test the stuff I have on order and if that doesn't work out then try and find one tool for the multiple jobs.

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:45 pm

I have these black magic ones and I'm fairly happy with them.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/black-ma ... -gunmetal
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:58 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:35 pm
Have a look at the Boomerang braid snips. I know you said you want an all-in-one tool, but I’ve yet to come across one that does the job with braid after a bit of use.
Those snips are probably one of the most useful things I have bought , awesome little tool, had mine for years now and still going strong :y:

kingiFiddler

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:28 pm

MikeAqua wrote:

thanks. Every tried buying replacement cutters for them? What about replacement plier tips? Are the tips stainless steel? Do they work OK on even small split rings?

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:10 am

kingiFiddler wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:28 pm
MikeAqua wrote:

thanks. Every tried buying replacement cutters for them? What about replacement plier tips? Are the tips stainless steel? Do they work OK on even small split rings?
I've never needed to replace the tips on them. I can't remember having any issues with small split rings but TBH I don't change them a lot. The other pliers I really like are these little ones from Shimano.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/shimano- ... ing-pliers

Big enough for removing deep seated hooks from most fish, cut the line well and work with small split-rings, like the ones on wax wing lures.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information