anti reverse intermittently (not) working

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
skarramooch
Kayak Model: marauder

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:25 pm

I have a relatively new (<1 year) abu cardinal c174 which has been looked after pretty well, not dunked, and rinsed after every use.

All of a sudden the anti reverse started playing up and not engaging, but it's an intermittent fault, and it engages sometimes. It tends to work better when i'm at home, then plays up when i'm fishing on the kayak :grrrr:

I took the reel apart and had a look, the switch is engaging properly i think, the AR bearing appears to be unbroken.

As an added bonus all of the little metal bits fell out when i tried to clean the bearing, which was a huge joy for me, especially when i lost one of them, searched the whole floor for half an hour only to find it stuck on the grease inside the reel.

When i put it back together, cleaned, and regreased the gears, cleaned and reoiled the AR bearing, it seems loads better, but still fails occasionally.

Whats the most likely cause of the problem? I didn't see any evidence of saltwater getting in, and the AR bearing had only the tiniest bit of black stuff on the edge of it.

What's the best way of me getting it perfect again? Do i need to use a solvent to clean the bearing? Should i have just bought a better reel to start off with?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Cheers, Stu

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:11 pm

Generally you don't use grease on an AR bearing. grease acts as a lubricant and on something your trying to get to stick it doesn't work to well. try cleaning it with a degreaser etc, Mineral oils only for these puppies. AR bearings can be a multitude of things from the bearing. the throw arm, the sleeve to well just generally failed for no reason. I cant remember what the 174 is like inside but will have a nosey tomorrow for you at a schematic.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Wow I was going to post this exact same thing. My c174 started playing up yesterday while out fishing. Pulled it to bits and noticed the anti reverse spring was abit rusty. I did do a pre service but didn't think to grease that up. In my opinion the white plastic locator has way too much play in it? I've had the reel for a month, used maybe 5 times, rinced after each use and stripped/wiped.
Attachments
IMG_20140121_180925.jpg

Northland Kayaks
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: John's Dory V

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:20 pm

And there-in lays the problem :tmi: DO NOT RINSE YOUR REELS - AT ALL!!!
You will save yourself a truck-load of grief.
Yes, back in the late eighties, I was doing the same, and could not figure out why I was having problems... :headbang:
Yes - the manufacturers (some anyway), recommend you "wash or rinse your reel" after each trip.
Yes, kayak fishing is different in the fact that you will get more salt water on your reels, so if you do wash them, try to be careful not to drive water into the reel, and be SURE to spray it thoroughly with Tackle Guard, Inox or the like, to dispel ALL the water. :y:
I have been telling my clients since the early nineties...DO NOT WASH YOUR REEL!!!", Since then my repair work has dropped DRAMATICALLY. When a problem does come in my first question is "Do you wash your reel?" 99% of the answers (on faulty reels) are YES! :@ And there-in lays the problem. ;(
As far as the repair is concerned, as MM says, it can be difficult to ascertain without the reel in hand, as experienced reel repairers like myself & MM have a lot of tricks that only experience can teach us ;)
:beer:
John
Northland Kayaks

skarramooch
Kayak Model: marauder

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:34 pm

thanks for the responses!

Mad Mike, here's a pic of the AR bearing, after I found and re inserted all of the little metal bars

I'll find some degreaser and mineral oil and see if I can get it working well again.

Ruff as Guts, I think it must be a design flaw! my extension spring wasn't even there, but there is a rusty stain on the little plastic white square- it must've rusted out already! Very annoying for a reel which is supposed to be designed particularly for saltwater use

it doesn't appear to be the source of the slipping/not catching AR though, the other (torsion) spring holds the mechanism on the correct place as far as i can tell. I wonder if I can send the reel back after I've taken it apart?

Kayakzone, I will heed your advice and just wipe down gently with a moist cloth instead of dunking in water, I'm still learning how to look after stuff in saltwater, and this is why I still buy cheaper gear!

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Bud I had a play with mine, and you defiantly NEED that spring! Its part number 33. I stretched mine and lost the anti reverse totally. The amount of rust I had on mine after only a month, I'm thinking after a year yours would be gone! :( That other spring holds it out of anti reverse. Im going to look for a heartier spring, maybe stainless?? What do you think Mad Mike??

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:27 pm

Yeah see what you can find to do the job but the spring it a vital part of life. that would also explain the intermittent issue.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

Return to “Tackle and Accessories”

• Information