What rod and reel for marlin & tuna from a yak?

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
AndrewRawlingson

kingiFiddler wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:11 pm Please don't take this the wrong way and I mean no disrespect to you or anyone reading this that choose to comply to any such rules but I've no interest in complying or getting anything weighed. Just want to knock the bugger off and live to tell the tale.
My regular fishing buddy is quite an accomplished game fisherman. He doesn't care either. Marlin gets filleted on the boat straight after capture and packed in ice. He doesn't understand why people leave their fish cooking in the sun all day for the sake of a photo or trophy :D
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Yeah Andrew, to each their own but looking after the meat is yet another, of many, good reasons to have a boat available on yak marlin hunts. I've been very fortunate to have a few people say they'd be keen to shadow or assist with their boats if in the same area next Summer, which is fantastic.

Have narrowed down reel options to the speedmaster 16 2-speed. Has the capacity (I'm not going to run much of a mono topshot, if any), can double up for jigging duties, is lightweight enough, plenty of drag (more than I'll ever need in a kayak). In my searching to learn how they are holding up I stumbled upon the article on fishing net about Greg Potter's recent marlin and as luck would have it, that was the reel he used. I don't expect them to last like a talica or higher end reel, but given how little use it will see and my limited budget, it looks like the go.

Rod is still a bit more of an undecided but plenty of time to figure that out. Lots and lots of water needs to flow under the yak before I get to that point.
grant ashwell
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution

I've done this stuff a few times now using both spin (Stella) and overhead (Accurate Boss) I think that the O/H would be the most suitable first time up. I don't use swivels-30lb braid, 50m top-shot of 30lb then 3 to 4 m of 50lb hard fluorocarbon. Trouble with the spinner is that the line twist when so much line goes in and out is considerable but I don't want a swivel in the way. For me the overhead has more heavy cranking ability. I use the O/H on the downrigger and spinner on the flatline. Sometimes the fish gets a bit wrapped and the flouro resists the abrasion. I don't think that a soft tip rod gives enough movement when the fish jumps but the stretch in the mono takes care of that..Point and wind like mad to keep the line taunt. Having a heavy rod behind you on hookup is problematic-not only can you not tell if the bait is doing OK (alive, weed, enquiry) but it will be very difficult to get out of the holder. I think that your fish are potentially bigger than ours. My biggest is est 110kg but most are 50-80kg blacks. I use shorter rods-Shimano T curve 200 or similar. Having the best quality tip and guides that you can afford helps reduce friction and wear. Try and fight the fish to the side a bit. It tires it more quickly than just getting towed around. Good luck.
kingiFiddler

Thanks Grant,

Not a fan of swivels either but there have been times were I get really bloody sick of retying FG knots on the water when sharks are around. Worst session this Summer needed four replacement leaders and new FG knots. On the last shark that day I was determined to not lose an inch of trace or the hook and got it yak side before it launched and nearly got me. Still got battle scars down the side of the yak from that one.

With a swivel clip and bite leader, I can just clip a new leader on and get back to it, so haven't ruled them out.

The mono topshot is a tricky one to work out. Stretch somewhere in the system seems a good thing, but it comes at the cost of line capacity on smaller reels (am considering seriously the difficulty of getting the rod out of the holder when it's go-time so thinking small OH if can get away with it). I recently bought a used Fin Nor Marquesa 20A on a 24kg Shimano triton rod and will be trialing it on a few sharks before deciding whether or not to keep it. The rod feels a bit too soft and I'm not sure if the reel will have enough capacity if there's 50 or more meters of mono topshot on it. Will probably be about 550/600m overall and am told that could evaporate on the first run on a good fish. Whilst we have an advantage in that we can wind ourselves back to the fish (not that I want to be getting too close or over a green one), we can't really chase them down to get line back in a hurry.

There are guys on boats that use a braid topshot. Some even all-braid from spool to hook. There's almost zero stretch in such systems and they don't seem to think it's a problem. It allows them to use smaller reels and still have adequate line capacity. Something to think about. But being a newbie, I am wondering if stretch is even more important to me than an extra 150-200m line capacity in reserve.

Would you use a roller tip with braid? Have been told don't bother unless it's a great roller tip, but then I've seen fights where the fish is deep and the mainline is running over the guides and heavily loaded tip heaps of times in those get-a-little-give-a-little types of tussles. Makes me think the roller tip might produce less wear in that scenario as long as it's a good one.
grant ashwell
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution

I just use the triple surgeons knot between mono and leader. I have never had a failure and believe that it is better to tie an average knot well than a great knot poorly. I carry 3-4 x4 meter lengths to change on the water and it is quick and easy. I chase my fish as this is one of the benefits of a Hobie. I believe that a set of SIC guides or better is more than adequate for the job. This season I played a large fish for 2.25hrs on the line previously described before it wore through on the fish's body so it's all pretty durable as we can only exert so much pressure from a yak. I don't remember ever giving more than 250m though as I said, I pedal hard in pursuit. I was spooled once for 700m but that is only once in 20yrs of doing this stuff.
kingiFiddler

Great info and thanks very much Grant. Much appreciated.

Return to “Tackle and Accessories”