Are telescopic rods any good for baitfishing?

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Am revisiting my one-rod policy. There's been a few times I've run out of livies and needed to re-tie my baitfish lure back on and go searching for volunteers.

The reason for the one-rod policy is simplicity. I loath dealing with another rod on the yak when a kingi strikes and runs around the back of the yak and I have to avoid the other rod.

Wondering if a telescopic I can collapse when not in use so it's really short and will never get in my way, might be worth a try. Are they a PITA to collapse and stretch back out again and line everything up on the kayak? Will they work really well for the first two outings then seize up and be useless? Should I just cut down an old rod to about 4' or less and be done with it?
TBreezy

I use an Ice fishing rod. It's about 500mm long, give or take and I store it in the fish hatch of my stealth, out of the way. It has a tiny reel on in and it's great for just dropping a sabiki down at a moment's notice. I got it from Amazon.

I also like to keep the rod quiver to a minimum, but I don't like re-rigging when a situation presents itself. I'd rather be ready to go, so I prefer to have a dedicated bait rod. Some guys use those Shimano Kidstix combos. About $50 from memory and not too long. That would be my second option if I didn't have the ice rod.

I think a telescopic rod could work, but you run the risk of a f*ck around trying to extend and retract it. I dunno, they're relatively cheap, could be worth just trying it out. I think the idea has legs!
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Yeah, cheers. Will probably go with a non-telescopic.

Return to “Tackle and Accessories”