Doubling over braid??

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
dreden
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi team,

What are your thoughts on when it is and when it isn’t necessary to double over your braid with a bimini twist or similar? Really want to avoid it if possible but don’t want to lose fish because of it???

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:51 pm

I generally double braid on the basis of reducing point-load on a 'single' strand.
There are, however, many dynamics in effect on loaded cordage, point contact pressure and surface area etc.
When on the yak, I choose to double so as to introduce some level of redundancy in my knots, plus easier to tie at sea (for me)

Ultimately, you will always lose fish to the weakest link, whether manufactured or introduced. Don't overthink it, unless you're specifically looking to bag trophies.
Gear your tackle for the intended/expected target and you'll generally be good. The one unexpected outsider that defeats your preparation will be your new baseline for next time.
In saying that, I've been 'schooled' by a good Kingy in 2 metres of water - Not fished for, and certainly not expected. However my "fat snap" sessions will not change due to that one-off event.

As a footnote: I only fish with $25-wonder Shimano FX4000's now, unless on a specific dragon-slaying mission.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

TBreezy

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:54 am

I've never doubled over the braid, but I only ever use an FG knot to join braid to fluoro and it seems unnecessary to double the braid over. I don't think the knot would work as well if you did, anyway. And no, an FG knot is not difficult to tie on the yak.

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:01 am

I always double over braid when I'm tying a uni-to-uni knot, as an insurance policy. I know a bloke who has caught multiple 20lbs, never doubled over his braid until our recent trip. I was like "Dafaq!" :rofl:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Return to “Tackle and Accessories”

• Information