TAS Attack - no orange sliders in Perth!!

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
ajst2duk

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:05 pm

I did grab a good supply of sliders before I made the move to Perth but no-one warned me about a:) giant northern western blowfish aka "bolt cutters" or b:) pelagics with razors for teeth and finally c:) staghorn coral. Just had to order some more from NZ but a little pricy at $15 additional each for postage grrr
If anyone is planning a visit over here anytime soon give me a shout and save some room in your kit for a stash.
Oh yeah - It's every bit as amazing as you can imagine - I need to get out more so I can post some pics and trip reports.
Here'a a taster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just fishing and stuff
Kayak PB's
Snapper 87cm
Kingy 115cm
Now yakking in amazing W.A.

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Shame. I was there recently. How is the fishing in WA versus NZ? May be moving over at some point in the future.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:35 am

Nice fish! :rock:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

ajst2duk

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Fishing is pretty different. There are some monster snapper here but much harder to target than back home. They tend to stay out wide during summer months and come in about this time of year. Aside from that the variety of species is out of this world. I've hooked everything from snook and coral trout to a marlin sized sailfish. The ground out from the west coast can be flat and 10/15m deep far and wide - especially around Perth while up north you start to get into the coral bommies. There is a solid group of kayak fishos over here - prob 90% use hobies in some form. I've been lucky to have met up with some awesome yakkers who have given me loads of help - have really appreciated it. I reckon I'm one step past a novice WA yakker after a year here - that's coming off about 10y experience back home. I've had to get used to coming home with no fish much more often than not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just fishing and stuff
Kayak PB's
Snapper 87cm
Kingy 115cm
Now yakking in amazing W.A.

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:35 pm

cheers. i hear mixed things. seems like when it's good, it's very good, but when it's bad... it worries me when i see people proudly holding up a couple of kahawai/salmon like they are the catch of a lifetime. nothing against kahawai at all, they're a fantastic fish, but you know what i mean.

what about the wind? it's a bloody windy place. do you find that the number of days you can get out in to open water is seriously limited?

edit: about the sliders, talk to this guy: http://www.kavemantackle.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
good gear, low prices. personal service. i'm sure kevin would sort out fair postage to aussie for you - i have no involvement with the business other than being a happy customer.

yakkingbrendon
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution
VHF Call Sign: NIL

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Its been great to have you as part of the local community AJ !
It can certainly be feast or famine here for sure and the wind does suck . But fantastic fishing is only a days drive away .
Did you get to the Abrolhos Andrew Rawlingson ?

Brendon

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:22 pm

yakkingbrendon wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:28 pm
Did you get to the Abrolhos Andrew Rawlingson ?
No. No fishing at all. The guy organising it turned out to be a loose cannon and it all went to shit. I booked a couple of cray dives, but they were cancelled due to sea conditions. Had a great time though, did my best man thing. Impressed by Perth/WA as we are every time. It was nice going to supermarket and not seeing people wearing dressing gowns :rofl:

• Information