Berley Mate Long-life Rapid Berley

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
Post Reply
yak64
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 9:12 pm
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628
Location: Haumoana

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi Just wondering if anyone has had much experience with this product:

Berley Mate Long-life Rapid Berley

https://www.gofish.co.nz/fishing-tackle ... erley.html

Its obviously a smaller profile and looks like a lot less mess....which makes it seem ideal for a Kayak.... but appears pricey.

How does it compare to traditional frozen berley ?

How well does it last?

How well does it work?

Thanks for your advice... cheers bruce

User avatar
MikeAqua
Posts: 3297
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:23 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387
Location: Nelson

Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:31 pm

I used these years ago and they do work (and last) but they take a while to start working. So long life - yes. Rapid - no.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

yak64
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 9:12 pm
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628
Location: Haumoana

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:47 am

MikeAqua wrote:I used these years ago and they do work (and last) but they take a while to start working. So long life - yes. Rapid - no.
Thanks for the feedback Mike... yes rapid and long life must be a hard concept to align. :?:

Good to know that they work. I understand they have improved the formula since then too. From what I have read it seems as though these last for several fishing trips. Which if so would mean cost may be similar to normal store bought frozen burley.

I am fishing in mainly shallow water, often only 4 - 6 metres deep. Would be interested in any other peoples thoughts and in particular experience with this.

Cheers Bruce

User avatar
Flowrider
Posts: 934
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:15 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Flowrider
Location: New Plymouth
Contact:

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:01 pm

That is the only burley I use now, gone away from the stinky frozen stuff and just add a few pig feed pallets which are cheap and break down quicker to get the trail going. I only cut off part of the log, maybe a 1/4 or so. Any still left in the burley bag stays in there until next time and doesn't smell bad it just softens up a bit. So one log lasts me at least 4 trips sometimes more.
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

yak64
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 9:12 pm
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628
Location: Haumoana

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:53 pm

Flowrider wrote:That is the only burley I use now, gone away from the stinky frozen stuff and just add a few pig feed pallets which are cheap and break down quicker to get the trail going. I only cut off part of the log, maybe a 1/4 or so. Any still left in the burley bag stays in there until next time and doesn't smell bad it just softens up a bit. So one log lasts me at least 4 trips sometimes more.
Thanks for that I had not thought of cutting it up nor using pig pellets to help with the "rapid" part of the trail... a great idea.. will certainly give it a try.. thanks

jedijay
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:38 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: GT

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 pm

I tried this berley today https://www.smartmarine.co.nz/products/ ... g/details/ and was quite impressed with it. I could see it on the sounder sinking below the kayak. I could control how much was going out and best of all I didn't use all of it, so now I have berley for the next trip.

I had a bad experience with salmon berley last week and it was floating to the surface which was attracting the gulls, didn't take long before I had 20 birds circling the kayak :headbang:

User avatar
MikeAqua
Posts: 3297
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:23 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387
Location: Nelson

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:28 am

jedijay wrote: I had a bad experience with salmon berley last week and it was floating to the surface which was attracting the gulls, didn't take long before I had 20 birds circling the kayak :headbang:
Salmon berley contains fish-oil which floats.

I use a salmon berley that comes in tins (Brunsco). They have a pull ring style top. I punch holes with my iki spike, and attach the pull ring to a carabiner 1m above the anchor chain. Always have couple of cans in the kayak and on the boat.

I like the look of those pellets. I've heard pig pellets work well too.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

User avatar
AndrewRawlingson
Posts: 2328
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:03 pm
Location: Northland

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:42 am

Once upon a time in a country far away, we used sinking fish feed pellets as "burley". It was bloody good and cheap as chips. Can't seem to buy it in NZ though. I wonder what the salmon farms feed their fish on?

https://www.hinders.co.uk/prod/hinders- ... mm-pellets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image

User avatar
MikeAqua
Posts: 3297
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:23 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387
Location: Nelson

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:01 am

AndrewRawlingson wrote:Once upon a time in a country far away, we used sinking fish feed pellets as "burley". It was bloody good and cheap as chips. Can't seem to buy it in NZ though. I wonder what the salmon farms feed their fish on?

https://www.hinders.co.uk/prod/hinders- ... mm-pellets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Salmon eat salmon food. Specifically formulated for them. I'm not sure it can be bought in small quantities.

When I stayed in Resolution Bay Cabins they fed salmon feed to blue cod off their wharf. The blue cod certainly seemed to like it. Mind you blue cod eat almost any animal protein ... e.g. they love bacon rind.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

User avatar
AndrewRawlingson
Posts: 2328
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:03 pm
Location: Northland

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:12 am

MikeAqua wrote: Mind you blue cod eat almost any animal protein ... e.g. they love bacon rind.
True. I did an overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound. In the evening, they got the rods out for the tourists and baited them up with salami. I thought it was a piss take until the big blue cod started coming aboard!
Image

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests