View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 2:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Berley Mate Long-life Rapid Berley 

Post Berley Mate Long-life Rapid Berley
Hi Just wondering if anyone has had much experience with this product:

Berley Mate Long-life Rapid Berley

https://www.gofish.co.nz/fishing-tackle/fish-bait-tackle/long-life-berley.html

Its obviously a smaller profile and looks like a lot less mess....which makes it seem ideal for a Kayak.... but appears pricey.

How does it compare to traditional frozen berley ?

How well does it last?

How well does it work?

Thanks for your advice... cheers bruce

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Post Re: Berley Mate Long-life Rapid Berley
I used these years ago and they do work (and last) but they take a while to start working. So long life - yes. Rapid - no.

"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:31 pm

MikeAqua wrote:
I used these years ago and they do work (and last) but they take a while to start working. So long life - yes. Rapid - no.

Thanks for the feedback Mike... yes rapid and long life must be a hard concept to align. :?:

Good to know that they work. I understand they have improved the formula since then too. From what I have read it seems as though these last for several fishing trips. Which if so would mean cost may be similar to normal store bought frozen burley.

I am fishing in mainly shallow water, often only 4 - 6 metres deep. Would be interested in any other peoples thoughts and in particular experience with this.

Cheers Bruce

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:47 am

That is the only burley I use now, gone away from the stinky frozen stuff and just add a few pig feed pallets which are cheap and break down quicker to get the trail going. I only cut off part of the log, maybe a 1/4 or so. Any still left in the burley bag stays in there until next time and doesn't smell bad it just softens up a bit. So one log lasts me at least 4 trips sometimes more.

Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net
Viking Reload

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:01 pm
Profile WWW

Flowrider wrote:
That is the only burley I use now, gone away from the stinky frozen stuff and just add a few pig feed pallets which are cheap and break down quicker to get the trail going. I only cut off part of the log, maybe a 1/4 or so. Any still left in the burley bag stays in there until next time and doesn't smell bad it just softens up a bit. So one log lasts me at least 4 trips sometimes more.

Thanks for that I had not thought of cutting it up nor using pig pellets to help with the "rapid" part of the trail... a great idea.. will certainly give it a try.. thanks

Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:53 pm

I tried this berley today https://www.smartmarine.co.nz/products/baits-lures/bait-berley/64596/berley-pellets-800g/details/ and was quite impressed with it. I could see it on the sounder sinking below the kayak. I could control how much was going out and best of all I didn't use all of it, so now I have berley for the next trip.

I had a bad experience with salmon berley last week and it was floating to the surface which was attracting the gulls, didn't take long before I had 20 birds circling the kayak :headbang:

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:53 pm

jedijay wrote:
I had a bad experience with salmon berley last week and it was floating to the surface which was attracting the gulls, didn't take long before I had 20 birds circling the kayak :headbang:

Salmon berley contains fish-oil which floats.

I use a salmon berley that comes in tins (Brunsco). They have a pull ring style top. I punch holes with my iki spike, and attach the pull ring to a carabiner 1m above the anchor chain. Always have couple of cans in the kayak and on the boat.

I like the look of those pellets. I've heard pig pellets work well too.

ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 am

Once upon a time in a country far away, we used sinking fish feed pellets as "burley". It was bloody good and cheap as chips. Can't seem to buy it in NZ though. I wonder what the salmon farms feed their fish on?

https://www.hinders.co.uk/prod/hinders- ... mm-pellets

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:42 am

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Once upon a time in a country far away, we used sinking fish feed pellets as "burley". It was bloody good and cheap as chips. Can't seem to buy it in NZ though. I wonder what the salmon farms feed their fish on?

https://www.hinders.co.uk/prod/hinders- ... mm-pellets

Salmon eat salmon food. Specifically formulated for them. I'm not sure it can be bought in small quantities.

When I stayed in Resolution Bay Cabins they fed salmon feed to blue cod off their wharf. The blue cod certainly seemed to like it. Mind you blue cod eat almost any animal protein ... e.g. they love bacon rind.

ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 am

MikeAqua wrote:
Mind you blue cod eat almost any animal protein ... e.g. they love bacon rind.

True. I did an overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound. In the evening, they got the rods out for the tourists and baited them up with salami. I thought it was a piss take until the big blue cod started coming aboard!

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ] 

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 2:37 am