Kayak Chris's 2 Minute Form

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:14 am

2 min form.pdf
(384.28 KiB) Downloaded 712 times
Right guys, after reading the recent post about a Kayaker missing and it taking 9 days for him to be reported missing, I have modified my 2 minute form slightly.
This 2 min form is specific to Kayakers unlike many you may find.

The idea is for each trip you fill it out and give it to a family member or someone you trust sso that if you dont return they know when to raise the alarm, and have all the info to give the SAR team a fighting chance of finding you.

Two things to note,
1) you can fill in most of the detail info and photocopy it after so that the form is almost ready to go each trip, and you just need to fill in the trip specific parts.

2) you will note there is an expected return time, and a "if I havent made contact By.... contact emergency services" section.
The difference between the two sections is....
I plan to fish from 6am to 1pm at the stage of the report, but the fishing was so bloody good I lost track of time and stayed out til 4pm (so we dont want CG getting a lot of calls about you while your happly out catching your limit), but if you havent heard from me by 6pm, then there is a problem....

Let me know if there are things you feel should be added, or if you have any questions, and Im happy to modify.
Cheers

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:56 am

...And mine (I'm sure I've posted it before, but this sort of info doesn't hurt)
Battle Yak Intention Sheet.pdf
(628.36 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
And here's how I use the reference to the maps on the back:
map.JPG

I also include weather and tides to a) force me to check them, and b) gives SAR operations an idea of what I was expecting to happen.

Escape routes are my primary bolt-holes if it turns to snot, IF you find yourself using an escape route, don't do what one guy did and make camp to sit out the weather and not advise anyone - there was no cell coverage due to the big hill behind him which he didn't think to climb to get the I'm Safe message out. :headbang: He wasn't Mr. Popular when we had the debrief.

I list ALL gear, and cross off what isn't going out - Quicker than writing it out, allows flexibility and also serves as a checklist.

Also listed is detailed descriptions of kit, and I have a photo of the kayak and major gear to hand to SAR (A picture really is worth a thousand words, particularly if the searchers aren't yakkers)

Experience is another aspect that is valuable, Mrs. Dwarf doesn't go out if there's ripples on the water, so rough to her is nothing to me - If interviewed, her impressions and assumptions could be way off the mark and a massive red herring. I've come across it many times on searches where the informant has no clue of the missing persons capability and they have on occasion made statements based on what THEY would do - which was complete opposite to the missing person.

Identifying the fact that I have solid first aid and survival training along with what I would do (tether and stay with yak) and medical are all issues that are considered when planning a search.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

YAKuZA
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8741

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:58 am

I have just written it on my form but how about putting the coastguard number on there somewhere? :y:

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Good idea. :y:
Enables the 'watcher' to do a check via VHF if concerns held prior to activating SAR.

Now added to mine.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

dhuefish2
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Espri

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks KC and all others great info ,will down load and put to good use. :!:

Lister
Kayak Make: Tahe & Viking
Kayak Model: Wind 585 & 440 pf
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 4211

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Just noticed this, makes my "white board" semi redundant. Will post this near phone in hall. Many thanks

I like technology. I especially like to hit it with a big stick!!!!

We don't hate the fat B*tch. We just can't find anything about her to not dislike

ZMW4211. Proud paddler of PF440

sharkey
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish,espri,prowler
VHF Call Sign: sharkey

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:44 pm

:y: Nice 2 min report Chris

Brown Boy
Kayak Model: Predator

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:04 am

Thanks Chris, something for a newbie like me to start implementing.

nige
Kayak Make: mission
Kayak Model: catch 420
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9509

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:57 am

I finished work early one day last week ,so decided to go for a fish .I didn't tell the Mrs what I was doing and just went .When I got home she was already here and boy did I get told off for not telling any one where I was going .So I printed off your form and said will this do ,thinking she would say that's a bit over board ,but no she said that is perfect .So now I put this on the fridge .
Thanks ,now my butt doesn't get chewed off for not telling of my intentions .
Also today I passed my VHF license 100% and have a call sign .
Cheers thanks.

fritter
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4166

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:05 pm

Well done on the vhf licence Nige.

Blazer60
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:18 pm

Nice, thanks.
Blazer60
Viking Reload ZMW5911

munkisquisher
Kayak Model: 2+1

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:55 pm

This is a great idea.

I also run Glympse on my phone, it's an app that broadcasts my position to my wife. http://www.glympse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It helps that I stay in Wellington harbour where the phone signal is good.

• Information