Kayaks and Currents - Harbour Paddlers especially.

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:11 pm

Whilst there are few places in NZ that have this sort of current, there are plenty of large, shallow harbours that will get close on a big ebb tide.

http://www.riverandocean.com/alcatraz-i ... grandfield
11111.JPG
11111.JPG (90.71 KiB) Viewed 445 times
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

TBreezy

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Damn, that's scary.

While nothing quite at the scale of San Francisco, I watched a kayaker paddle frantically against the ebb tide at the entrance to Whangamata harbour over the weekend to make it back inside. It took them quite a long time, including a few breaks, to go about 300 metres and they insisted on staying right in the middle of the channel where the current was the strongest. It looked painfully tiring and even that was reminder enough to be aware of that stuff, especially in harbours.

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:08 pm

I warn newbie and visiting kayakers off Whangarei Harbour, especially the area around the harbour entrance. It is plain nasty at the wrong time, worse if wind against tide :devil:

• Information