Ultra 4.3 rudder maintenance

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
yak64
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:19 pm

Well with large swell and high winds kayak maintenance seems a good back up plan. Wanting to pull apart the rudder assembly on my ultra 4.3.....as it seems a bit sticky... are there any things I should be wary of or are there useful tips others would be happy to share.

I was also wondering re recommendations on lubricants....thanks in advance!

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:05 pm

How did you get on?

There really isn't much you can do maintenance wise, the design means everything is pretty tight so it doesn't need much dirt/salt/etc in there and it tightens up pretty quickly, any lube tends to attract the dirt so doesn't help that much... I found a really good flush out with fresh water after each trip was the best thing but it was always stiff going down...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Mental wrote:How did you get on?

There really isn't much you can do maintenance wise, the design means everything is pretty tight so it doesn't need much dirt/salt/etc in there and it tightens up pretty quickly, any lube tends to attract the dirt so doesn't help that much... I found a really good flush out with fresh water after each trip was the best thing but it was always stiff going down...
Agreed.

I use a 2200Psi water blaster.
Get all the sand, salt etc out and no issues.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

yak64
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:22 am

Mental wrote:How did you get on?

Thanks for that... I had wondered if that was the case, I haven't actually sorted it yet but will take your advise on board... cheers

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:21 pm

yak64 wrote:
Mental wrote:There really isn't much you can do maintenance wise, the design means everything is pretty tight so it doesn't need much dirt/salt/etc in there and it tightens up pretty quickly,
With all those lightening slots in the side panels it looks like a design made to attract grit and sand. Is it possible to dismantle it, glue plastic (2 litre milk bottle plastic) over those side slots? That type of plastic is slippery too which could help. Even without gluing the disks on it might help just fitting them.
http://www.outdoorplay.com/core/media/m ... 6b7f1d7ad7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least the rudder design I use (90 degree slide-up, not 270 rotation) doesn't have that problem though both myself and the designer, after separate trips in the Abel Tasman did a small modification to stop sand jamming anything.

• Information