Got most of it covered now -BUT

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:14 pm

Yeah old keep it simple stupid KISS me has had an offer he couldn't refuse and acquired some more of them there Electronics for the kayaking.
new toys 001.jpg
Probably easily justified at any stage of my long and illustrious Aquatic Adventures but resisted some gear due to the exorbitant cost the purveyors of some Safety Equipment as (Conspiracy theory my mates say!)
But yeah finally get a fine bit of -" What Price do you put on your life" as that's the marketing usually employed and discover some existing gear is still being ridiculously price gouged for servicing -say $200-260 for a battery replacement and service on the Personal locator Beacon,(when second hand one I got expires in a few years).
But thats not all they say we check em and replace the seals and aerial !!
Yeah right but meanwhile a few of us savvy well travelled paddlers have figured that the closed shop and promotion by some authorities endorsing certain NZ coded PLB's and such is baloney and source them from Aussie at less than half what the previous lot were -Go figure.
NB the one pictured is second hand , re registered to me now
here-//beacons.org.nz/Registration.aspx
Last edited by paddlesnap on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HookiT
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:45 pm

Amazing you never had that sort of gear before hand PS. A person like yourself who paddles whenever by themselves always needs some form of solid communication. It is almost the first line of defense against the odds.

What next ? :y:

paddlesnap

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:05 pm

;) Yeah mate , always had the trip logged( tell someone where you'e going and roughly ETA return) , Waterproof bagged Cell phone (Samsung Waterproof HD with good battery life), A bagged VHF also for second means of communication ,Flares, Dive torches,strobes, all around White Light on pole for caught out late etc. plus grab bag of survival stuff ,Warm clothing change signal mirror , compass etc).
Often fire up the Garmin handheld GPS and keep track of things (always interesting when downloaded afterwards also).
So not adverse to good essential gear but I am definitely adverse to being ripped off -
Cheers

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:37 pm

I hear ya PS. If I multiply my hourly rate with the time I spent uhm'ing and ah-ing about the best deal for a PLB, I must have paid a fortune for mine! The prices of some of these things do get under my skin as well!
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:26 pm

For sure PS. Blatant rip offs/ over charging feature prominently in this day and age. Trouble is the clowns try to justify the charge. Buggar me, not all of us in this world are as thick as pigshit. :lol:

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:07 pm

Is that an Odeo flare ?

paddlesnap

Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:53 pm

awondering wrote:Is that an Odeo flare ?
Yerr mate , works Ok must give it a whirl one dark rainy night and see what it's got.

Yeah Hookit but customer prevails in the end .

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:32 pm

paddlesnap wrote:
Yerr mate , works Ok must give it a whirl one dark rainy night and see what it's got.

Yeah Hookit but customer prevails in the end .
So where did you pick it up from mate ?

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:52 pm

PLBs and EPIRBs and overseas purchase (quite OK) is here in this article -

http://www.kask.org.nz/plb-or-epirb/#more-192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was thinking, so many kayaking trips I've done over the years, no electronics (maybe a broadcast radio for weather forecasts), no paddle plan ever filed. Yet as far as safety goes I fitted seat belts to the first car I got as soon as I got it decades before it was mandatory. As soon as I could get one, I've always worn a bicycle helmet. I did have to wait until I did a 3500 km tour in USA as there was nothing reasonable here in NZ. Again, this was before they became mandatory. Hmmm....

Yes, I now carry a VHF, Uniden Atlantis 250 and refitted with LiPo batteries in place of the low capacity NiCads. Cell phone? No, no coverage.

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:36 am

Yeah and sometimes you've been seen towing a pram (dingy) when you do the big trips eh :rofl: :lol:

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:40 pm

Big k wrote:Yeah and sometimes you've been seen towing a pram (dinghy) when you do the big trips eh :lol:
It, the pram dinghy, is near 60 years old and in the shed for a repaint at present. It is what I used to teach myself how to sail. I had to figure how you rigged a sailing dinghy too, no one to ask, no internet to look things up on. Books? Yes we had those (no, not etched in stone).

It was a Flying Dutchman, Olympic class sailing dinghy, I used once for a cruise and towed the kayak for day tripping.

paddlesnap

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:36 pm

Lister had them as a package on here , selling all his gear .
All quality gear so a bargain , great for him to offer them on here.
I saw them in Safety at Sea (Beaumont St. Westhaven) for $260 but they are a rip off ,also with the dearest quote to redo PLB batteries hence my gripe .
The battery change was $260 also -
They just send them off to Bright Ideas( $200 ) in East Tamaki and add their cop.

Burnsco do them cheaper , but still pricey-

http://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/fishing/s ... -led-flare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

• Information