Spare Paddles!

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Defyant
Kayak Make: Q Kayaks
Kayak Model: Skua Lightweight
VHF Call Sign: Defyant ZMU2692

Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just a little BUMP to all that it is a great idea to carry with you a spare paddle!

Not only have I broken a few myself (mostly cheaper ones, but still....) but I have seen others break them during trips and also have had customers who have broken them, and guess what, no spares on board!!!

So if you are planning on going a few K's off-shore alone, or in a group, make sure at least someone in the group has a spare split paddle on board, It could save you the hard slog or tow home!

8)
Defyant ZMU2692
Canoe & Kayak Manukau 09 262 0209

Downtown
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF440

Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:26 pm

Yup good idea I've been carrying a spare for a while just for a little peace of mind, don't want to be left up the creek without a paddle or something like that.

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:24 pm

The only time I've broken one and that was decades ago, I lost 3 strokes (that's all the time it took) between the break, the connecting together the spare and the first stroke with the spare paddle. Think how you are going to stow the spare and how easy it will be to grab it.

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:40 am

I've been carrying a spare paddle for years. The most common use it gets is arriving at a launch destination or fishing comp and discovering someone has forgotten theirs - nothing like being able to help a frustrated no-paddle paddler :lol:

I've also been able to help kayakers on the the water - even best paddles can have problems and on one occasion I lent a $99 spare to someone that had a failure in an expensive $1100 Scottish import!

The spare doesn't have to be anything fancy, but as Mac50L rightly points out, consider where it's stowed so that it can be accessed in all conditions without putting yourself or your kayak at risk. I carry mine under my foredeck bungee's. I have the blades facing me: a quick straddle with my legs over the side, lean forward past my sounder and rod holders to grasp the blade tips and I'm in business. Like any other safety procedure it's a very good idea to give it a practice so you can be sure you can do it comfortably in a variety of conditions.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:35 pm

I've been carrying a roll of duct tape inside the console if my paddle breaks. After reading this article, I'll be carrying a spare from now on.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

R.S.J

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Limitless wrote:- nothing like being able to help a frustrated no-paddle paddler
ha ha And that's why the split paddle I got with the reload stays in the front hatch all the time in case I do forget my good one or break it.

I even started using my other one piece touring paddle playing in the surf after hearing some creaking/flexing sounds coming from my good paddle when broaching .
Last edited by R.S.J on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poodle
Kayak Model: scrambler xt

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:00 pm

How much are they?
You can't catch a fish from the couch

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:10 pm

Alloy 2-piece paddles usually start somewhere around $79 and serve well. I'd chose a fully adjustable glass paddle as a spare, something like this at $139 http://www.vikingkayaks.co.nz/shop/acce ... addle+1508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with the logic that while not quite my lightweight carbon paddle, I'd still be very happy to paddle with it if needed.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

InSalt
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:11 pm

A group of 4 of us were paddling the Hoteo River last weekend in multisport kayaks. 25 km paddle and one guy broke his paddle half way down. We eventually found some old hay bale twine on the bank and bound it up and I had a tow rope if required. He then had a swim in the small rapids as he couldn't lean on the paddle much and had to portage others. Turned a two hour paddle into 4 1/2. Good lesson on being better prepared when in the wilderness. It's an easy paddle with no dangers so we were complacent.

crabman
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ???

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:03 am

My spare paddle was require twice at the Northland comp.
The blade paddles fit inside the reload front hatch and once in place take up practically no room.
I never go out without it onboard. I also carry a drouge in there at all times.
Our situation on Saturday of the comp in 25 knot head winds would not have been pretty without the spare.
In my opinion now since having to get the spare out on a few occasions on the water is that this should almost become a mandotory safety requirement.
How many people carry a spare or have considered doing so??

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:29 am

Definitely worth a bump at this time of year.

I too lost my paddle the other week when the yak sat on it during a rapid exit through a dumpy break out the back of the Cavallis.
Fortunately I was able to continue to use it to get me home, safe in the knowledge I did have a spare if needed.
Paddle.jpg
Paddle.jpg (127.76 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Here's an earlier bit of entertainment (and the one time I didn't take a spare as "I'm only pottering along the coast" - Lesson was learnt!)

It's a long way home paddling Waka-style
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:21 pm

I have an alloy two piece under the foredeck bungy on my P400. I've never actually had to get to it, so I'm not sure how easy that would be. But there isn't a better place for it.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:58 pm

I have many spares but like most I don't take them out with me very often...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

crabman
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ???

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Counting up the number of broken paddles I have witnessed (5)
I recommend that everyone should carry a spare for the minimal cost or at least 1 per group heading out.
I will never be on the water without a spare. Now considering what wooden paddle options are available to use as my main paddle......any ideas??

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:14 am

I've been carrying a spare paddle with me for the last 6-8 months. It stores rather easily in the front hatch of my yak although it has tangled with my lines at times.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

• Information