Cutting through hooks

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Flowrider
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Flowrider

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:47 pm

Lately there have been a few people getting hooks stuck in their hands and other body parts :tmi: . I have tried cutting through a hook with standard side cutters and there is no way, especially if the hook is stuck in you.
So I have ordered a pair of small 8" bolt cutters for this job if the worst happens. If these do the job they can just live in the bottom of my tackle pod and hopefully never have to use them.
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:14 pm

Warm them up and coat them with lanocote or similar, my first pair of sidecutters went over the side, rusted solid.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

aqua bee
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 400 lite

Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:54 pm

I do have to ask how do you test that they will do the job can't imagine someone sticking a hook in their hand for that
Perception swing (blue)
Perception swing (yellow/green)
Viking 400 lite (yellow/black)

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:04 pm

Get hook
Cut with sidecutters.

Insertion into hand is purely optional, but compulsory if you have other body piercings :lol:

(Make sure you try cutting with your weakest hand)
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

dwmonty
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3862

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:56 pm

Would it not just be easier to quietly make your way back to shore and seek medical help?
Luckily the only hook I have ever put in to myself was a small but heavily weighted nymph while fly fishing on a windy day. Managed to embed it in the back of my head. Was a long walk back to the farm house but strangely half way back it fell out. Can only think it must of been as I relaxed a bit the skin loosened enough for it to come out.
Cheers
Dale

Downtown
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF440

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:00 pm

Some good pliers to squash down the barb are another option

Jules67
Kayak Make: Feelfree
Kayak Model: Moken 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4536

Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:32 pm

I had the unfortunate incident hook into me and luckily a boat nearby assisted me getting it out of my finger.

Have used my crimping tool lately to test that I could cut hook if needed, and yes it does work.
Now always carry it with me on the boat/yak just in case.

http://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/shop/fish ... ing-pliers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jules
Wellington
Moken 13

• Information