Additional buoyancy inside hull of SOT

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
VitalArtifact
Kayak Make: Aquastar
Kayak Model: Kingfisher

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:55 pm

Hey guys,

After my hull filled with water within minutes of being out at eastern beach channel marker (due to poor workmanship on a cheap yak's fittings and my failure to check them prior to a maiden trip- DOH ) , in windy onshore conditions - resulting in two turtles and re entries in choppy swells for me and my 14yo son, and a very hairy paddle back to shore with a slowly sinking yak !!! :(
- not the best time and place to practice re-entries and getting tangled in paddle leashes and fishing line!!
Lost a lot of new gear and my son's eagerness to join me again- lol...

Got me thinking of additional buoyancy to add to inside of the hull; without too much weight being added...

Seen a couple of members on here mention have some type - any one have some tips for me?? HLD?

Thought of bubble-wrap type packaging materials or polystyrene beans, but would like to hear what others have done and what is proven to work??

Any tips appreciated!
Cheers fellas

gadgetm
Kayak Make: TBA
Kayak Model: TBA
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8300

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:40 am

I used to have something like these in my old white water yak. Had short ones in front of feet and longer in the stern. Could deflate and put gear in instead if need be.

http://www.canoeandkayak.co.nz/shop/Acc ... +Bags.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:45 am

Wine cask bladders work well . You just need to drink a few (read 50) casks of wine.
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Yaktofish
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9666

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:28 am

You may want to check out there is a TR on here already which talks about just this..............

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... uoyancy%2A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload
Ocean Ultra 4.3

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Wine cask bladders - laminated, tough and fun to collect :beer: :beer: :beer: :drunk: :puke:
Each one gives ±3kg lift, so don't need many

Avoid beads (messy) and expanding foams (absorbent).
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

VitalArtifact
Kayak Make: Aquastar
Kayak Model: Kingfisher

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:42 pm

Awesome thanks for that! Lots of wine sounds like a great idea to me

• Information