Flares !

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:34 am

What do you fellas do with your out of date flares ?

dwmonty
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3862

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:51 am

Some of the marine shops down here take them back if you buy new ones. Coastguard also take them at times to do demonstrations with. The annoying thing is I would actually like to fire one of so that if push came to shove I actually knew what I was doing and didn't need to read the instructions but that is very much frowned upon.

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:55 am

The police take them as well and so does anyone the services life rafts ! There is a crowd in ET not far from you AW that takes them...
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:58 am

Hainesy wrote:The police take them as well and so does anyone the services life rafts ! There is a crowd in ET not far from you AW that takes them...
Who is that mate ?
dwmonty wrote:Some of the marine shops down here take them back if you buy new ones. Coastguard also take them at times to do demonstrations with. The annoying thing is I would actually like to fire one of so that if push came to shove I actually knew what I was doing and didn't need to read the instructions but that is very much frowned upon.
Guy Fawkes night you might get away with it :wasntme:

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Take them into your local Police and ask them to safely dispose of them (being classed with explosives) is the easiest.

My two preferred options are:
Donate to CG for their flare demo days, where you can have a go for a gold coin donation
Or head well inland away from any waterbodies, quick call to *500 to advise you will be firing a flare at (location) then let it rip.

Be aware, that what the labels don't emphasise is that these things tend to drop molten lava - The first one will likely cause bad language (as a result of surprise/awe/fear) , so ensure your Mother in Law is out of earshot!

Wear cotton long sleeves and glasses too.

Have fun!

One of mine is due next year - I'll video it this time for posterity
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:46 pm

awondering wrote:
Hainesy wrote:The police take them as well and so does anyone the services life rafts ! There is a crowd in ET not far from you AW that takes them...
Who is that mate ?
dwmonty wrote:Some of the marine shops down here take them back if you buy new ones. Coastguard also take them at times to do demonstrations with. The annoying thing is I would actually like to fire one of so that if push came to shove I actually knew what I was doing and didn't need to read the instructions but that is very much frowned upon.
Guy Fawkes night you might get away with it :wasntme:
Denray Marine at 96 Kerwyn Ave...I dropped some old flares in there a few months ago ...
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

• Information