Another case study highlighting the value of a VHF

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Limitless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Tue May 20, 2014 8:26 am

Here's another example of why all of us should have a VHF... http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north- ... ar-7138851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got a few interesting reactions when doing the pool sessions at the Hutchwilco Boat Show this year, especially so blatantly drowning my handheld on my PFD when mimicking being separated from my kayak (the reason I have two, still carrying the handheld even though I have a big fixed 25W set mounted in the kayak). Properly maintained they're reliable (mine typically give more than 3 years service before I consider replacement) and can make such a difference when needing assistance.

Stephen Tapp
Viking Kayaks
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Yaktofish
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9666

Tue May 20, 2014 9:10 am

Indeed we should never be without a VHF. One just never knows when something like this could happen. Great that he had a kayak buddy nearby to assist.
Viking Reload
Ocean Ultra 4.3

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue May 20, 2014 9:58 am

Limitless wrote: I have a big fixed 25W set mounted in the kayak
Do you have any photos of this set up you could share? I'm about to upgrade the VHF on the boat, which mean I will have a spare I could transfer to the kayak.

I'm particularly interested in where you have mounted the antenna, run cables etc and if you have the main unit exposed or inside the hull or a tackle pod.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Limitless

Tue May 20, 2014 10:46 am

MikeAqua wrote:
Limitless wrote: I have a big fixed 25W set mounted in the kayak
Do you have any photos of this set up you could share? I'm about to upgrade the VHF on the boat, which mean I will have a spare I could transfer to the kayak.

I'm particularly interested in where you have mounted the antenna, run cables etc and if you have the main unit exposed or inside the hull or a tackle pod.
Hi Mike,

just finishing off testing of different configurations and will publish the information in the next week or two. Learnt a few interesting things such as greater potential for interference with/from high frequency (455 and 800 kHz) sounders than traditional models. Also some interesting differences in cable shielding that influences mounting options.

I'm using an iCom fixed radio, and have been testing with the following sounders:
Humminbird 798 SI
Lowrance Elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Dragonfly
Simrad NSS7 (Gen 1 non CHIRP)
Simrad NSS7 Gen 2 CHIRP

Here's a shot with the Reload Tackle Pod lid open showing the radio mounted vertically. The cables are laying in the bottom of the pod for easy access during testing, in a completed install they will be p-clipped under the pod lip.
Attachments
Reload_VHF_1stInstall.jpg
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage

Nakian
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 6728

Tue May 20, 2014 6:54 pm

I've been interested in this too, think you mentioned the existance of it aeons ago.
Size batt and where kept?
ta for the info.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Blew the dust off this one from the vaults for a bit of related and dated discussion...
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Limitless

Wed May 21, 2014 8:54 am

Nakian wrote:I've been interested in this too, think you mentioned the existance of it aeons ago.
Size batt and where kept?
ta for the info.
I'm looking to carry out some big expeditions with the Viking Reload hence the need for better comms (more powerful VHF combined with better antenna = ability to file trip reports over considerably greater distances). To power the radio and the new Simrad Gen 2 sounder/plotter I've opted for a pair of 10Ah LFX batteries (LiFePO4). Current testing indicates this will give me an approximately 20 hour endurance running the sounder full time and filing hourly TR's.

Currently I'm mounting both batteries in through the front hatch to allow more space in the Reload Tackle Pod. This allows for necessary fishing tackle and the need to carry food etc. for long missions.

If using this system for normal fishing missions I'd opt for a single 10-12Ah LFX battery mounted inside the rear of the Pod. That should have more than enough capacity unless spending lots of time on the VHF.

Limitless

Wed May 21, 2014 9:03 am

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Blew the dust off this one from the vaults for a bit of related and dated discussion...
:lol: :lol: I keep forgetting how long I've been doing this :tmi:

Here's an image from back in the Swing days showing an iCom CommandMic behind the sounder (VHF was mounted in a dry box through the front hatch) and the antenna on the bow. Also notice the well used PLB under my arm - the days before the new frequencies and GPS integration - sooooo pleased I never actually had to use it!
Attachments
DSC00649.JPG

MikeAqua

Wed May 21, 2014 9:04 am

Thanks Limitless, look forward to seeing the results of your R&D.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

Rockpool
Kayak Model: 2+1

Fri May 20, 2016 3:44 pm

I have a question about having a fixed 25w set ,I hope this is not a change of topic..

If you need the 25w for range and you are carring a smaller 5wt unit on your pfd and happen to get separated from the kayak....

Will the the larger set piggyback your coms at 25wt from the smaller set (mayday etc)or just act as a speaker.
I hope you can understand the question I am asking.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Fri May 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Good stuff - Trip leader on Sea kayak club group paddle on Sunday used his well used Voyager to contact Coast guard radio to lodge trip , I reminded him to set it on 5W instead of low it was on, as we were up at Martins Bay , but they came back loud and clear and received his Trip details clear . Always good to do things properly and we all had Handheld Vhfs , Cell phones , 2 GPS etc.

blair

Sat May 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Out of interest has anyone used an external aerial on a handheld. The one I have in mind is a screw in aerial attached to a 1m pole to give extra height. It works well in the bush but wondering what kind of distance it could add on the water

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

MikeAqua

Thu May 26, 2016 10:24 am

Potentially relevant to this discussion is the emergence of 'black box' VHFs.

The main unit goes below deck somewhere safe/dry and the hand piece contains the display and controls and connects via a flush-mount socket

For example GME:

https://www.gme.net.au/catalogue/fixed- ... x750b.aspx
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Fri May 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Hmm, perfect for the jetski too :y:
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

• Information