Rips

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
EddieHarris
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:47 am

can rips be a danger when kayaking?

TBreezy

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:39 pm

Just about anything can be a danger.

Strong current can be a danger, especially when anchored - not that you'd anchor in a rip, but if you got caught side-on in there, it could be problematic.

The thing though, is that if there's enough surf cranking for there to be a rip, then you'd have to be pretty keen to head out in the first place. I'd be more worried about the surf.

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:04 pm

Rips can be useful if you know how to read and use 'em.

What I don't like is a strong outgoing tide/current when paddling out across an estuary or tidal river bar that is closing out when the sets roll in. Sometimes it can be tough holding position waiting for the lull. Depending on the sand formations and swell direction it doesn't have to be a huge swell to close out the whole bar here at Mangawhai. Just a few feet can be enough. It's actually surprising how many boaties heading out don't realise this. actually, no, it doesn't really surprise me. Nothing does about this place any more.

The yak and I have parted ways more in the small surf than bigger stuff. Complacency might play a part in that. In the bigger stuff I know one screw up and it's all over so tend to take more care. Besides, once out there the sliders do more damage when there's more lift. Auto-fishing.

• Information