Greenland paddle build

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Currently doing a side-by-side build with someone by email, using the method (by our very own Mac50l) found at https://canterburyseakayak.wordpress.co ... -your-own/, thought I'd throw it up here as well.
I have a rack of blanks all precut - I like to do them in batches so I can mix and match the offcuts to give contrasting spines so I apologise for you joining the program in progress :lol:
Can whack one of these out in a weekend from first touch of the saw in summer due to the higher temps giving a faster cure of the epoxy, in winter it takes a bit longer.

The two halves of one side spine (offcut split in half) at top with loom below - Note centre lines.
6.png
6.png (999.73 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
I like to put the dressed sides together as my cuts are usually fairly rough in texture (which equates to more glue)

Tips lined up on centre at one end
66.png
66.png (259.61 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Mark the position of the pieces on the main paddle to avoid excess, or not enough glue coverage
Also mark the edge of the loom on the underside of the offcuts (at bottom), again to avoid glue going everywhere.
Epiglue, when cured, is bloody hard to plane/sand/grind and very easy to lose the soft cedar either side.
6666.png
6666.png (862.05 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Epiglue, medium size pot will do around 4-6 paddles easy
Pans for mixing glue
Iceblock sticks (break one in half, each half to one glue component, then gets thrown. Use a new stick for mix and application)
Pie dishes (or similar)
Gloves (or you will get glue all over your fingers)
$5 Clamps and packing pieces to avoid bruising the wood.
66666.png
66666.png (902.55 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Even coverage on all mating faces. On with a feather, off with a knife as my Gran used to say.
666666.png
666666.png (670.3 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Nice joint with just a hint of glue being squeezed out - Note the gluey fingerprint.
6666666.png
6666666.png (550.37 KiB) Viewed 1736 times

Once positioned, lay gladwrap over it, then put the PVC clamps on, checking alignment.
Then packing pieces and clamp it down. Note lump of lead in lieu of clamp. Have also used fishfinder and car batteries as well as tins of paint in the past.
66666666.png
66666666.png (443.87 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
All done for today.

Second side is a repeat of the above once the stickum has stuck..
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Love your work. I’d love to do one of my own one day when I’m back on my feet. Do you have plans for an Aleutian design?
Keep us posted.

Glass is Class.. dedant

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Because KASK doesn't really exist any more, use this link for the GP making, same article, a website that works -
https://canterburyseakayak.wordpress.co ... -your-own/

It's on my personal website too, if needed.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks Sandy, have updated the original post.

@Dedant, Have toyed with the idea, although prefer the quick and easy std GL blade at this stage.

Glued second side this morning. Start shaping soon - That's the really enjoyable part :inlove:

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:55 am

Nice. Keen to see the project develop. I enjoy the sense of satisfaction in making one-piece GPs, not sure my skill set extends to lamination. I'm more into instant gratification.
Blazer60
Stealth Fisha 500 ZMW5911

Mac50L

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:45 pm

A few things about the laminated paddle. It saves wasting half the timber you buy if using a 2x4 chunk. This also means less work shaping things. You can put the laminates back in the opposite direction and get a stiffer, stronger paddle. A bit like plywood except in this case all of the grain is going the same way or opposite way and not crossways.

All the bits that were on the KASK site are not there any more and are all on the CSKNet site
https://canterburyseakayak.wordpress.com/
or go to Paul Caffyn's site for books and NZ kayak history.
http://paulcaffyn.co.nz/
As far as the web goes, KASK is dead.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:37 pm

Took the blank into work today.
Just under an hour with the spokeshave to rough shape it ready for the sanding.
It weighed in at 1290g here
1.jpg
1.jpg (131.11 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (69.62 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
This shows the offcuts making the spine overhanging the loom (in centre)
3.jpg
3.jpg (63.61 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Image is foreshortened here, but can see some funky grain that materialised - Will likely set this one adrift in the Bay for someone to find washed up.
4.jpg
4.jpg (201.47 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Spokeshave finish - amazing tools.
5.jpg
5.jpg (76.15 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
500 grams of shavings....
6.jpg
6.jpg (274.74 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Would have liked the spines to have been longer, but the curly grain has all but condemned this one for serious paddling.
They will be thinned down at the shoulder, but conflicting grain directions means it'll be a sanding job
7.jpg
With rough shaping completed and ready for sanding, now 60% of the initial weight
8.jpg
8.jpg (94.05 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

Swainsnow
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Pro 400
VHF Call Sign: Not yet

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:10 pm

I am trying this project with advice from HLD. Will post a few ham fisted photos of my progress later which should give hope to all in doubt of their skills. Have rushed ahead on a couple of steps which did not help but am getting the idea and the next one should make more sense. Any goof ups are all mine and nothing to do with great advice I've received so far. I'm new enough at anything like this to have asked what a plane saw was and the spokeshave is still a computer image but hope to get one for the next effort. Am using a sur-form plane device now and have a garage half full of shavings due to using a rough sawn bit of timber and general lack of expertise. None of this has put me off and I'm sure this one will have value even if it is only as a training exercise. Will go the photo battle later today to show what I've done.
Thanks to HLD as otherwise I would be looking at buying a wood stove for this project to fit into.
Where do find such a nice weighing machine?? :beer:

Mac50L

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:47 pm

Swainsnow wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:10 pm
Where do find such a nice weighing machine?? :beer:
Banggood
https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-Electron ... rehouse=CN
AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Urijk-M ... st=ae803_5

What ever you go for do check a minimum maximum weight of 1 kg. You might want to go higher. However your GP should be under 1 kg or the wood you are using is too heavy.

Swainsnow

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Time for photos when I can figure out this system. Scales will wait for a time but I'm sure I will be on the heavy side so can always weight loss if required.
IMG_1087.jpeg
Rough outline of paddle, off cuts split and one side glued.
IMG_1087.jpeg (103 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
IMG_1085.JPG
Clamped, weighted and magic chants uttered while the wait goes on.Ready to attack with sur-form
IMG_1085.JPG (116.54 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
IMG_1092.jpeg
Before sur-form effort. Still a long way to go.
IMG_1092.jpeg (93.51 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
IMG_1090.jpeg
After a bit of work with sur-form with more needed
IMG_1090.jpeg (101.21 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
IMG_1086.JPG
Clamps from PVC pipe. Need to make some wider and don't reccomend skill saw. Used hack saw to keep from breaking too many rings. also need a few more clamps. Could use more expertise also.
IMG_1086.JPG (165.46 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
Now to continue my efforts and prepare for a non museum piece. Grain ran away like HLD's last one and one end of blade has a small spoon feature that will be hard to address but maight make turning the yak easier on that side.
Thanks again to HLD and welcome all advice.

Swainsnow

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:00 pm

A bit late but thanks for weighing machine info. So far have done about it. paddle feels light in comparison to propel I have been using.

Mac50L

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:23 pm

Clamps - good to see you are making them. Cutting - a handsaw or tenon saw (the short one with a stiffener along the top edge). Rotate the pipe as you cut. At he Shed we have a full range of power tools. Unless it is a long cut (plywood panel or some such) I'll pick up a handsaw. Maybe it comes from having (what's left) grey hair.

Spooned end - I have one paddle both ends and on both sides are slightly spooned at the ends. Works OK. It got that way through trying to use a jig and router. Cut set too deep. It does have thicker (than the blade) kwila tips fitted.

• Information