Got me a trailer

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Finally the wind is at my back. Been chasing jetski trailers for the last couple of years for high speed kayak portage along tarmac (and making that lift at the end of a long day a lot easier).
I found another Ski trailer locally (as opposed to Wellington....Dunedin.... Belgium) a couple of days ago that was (as usual) too expensive and too short...
When I mentioned long kayaks, he says, " I just bought a double to replace the two singles. What about this one?".
Perfect! 4.7m, Lightly sprung, WoF and Rego and for only five Rutherfords. :rock:

Let the modifications begin!
Already ripped the winch and jetski bunks off.
Bit of sandblasting and paint on the rims to it look pretty and I'm set for summer.... Right chuffed.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (106.58 KiB) Viewed 924 times
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Nice. I do think a trailer is the way to go, despite the associated hassle and cost.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:51 pm

Yeah, trailers certainly have a place. I only cartop at the moment because I have a clapped out Toyota and my 'other' trailer is a hulking 300kg beast with springs that aren't kind to glass yaks - and you know you're dragging nearly a half tonne of steel when towing.

Saying that, if I'm doing a remote launch at some secluded northland bay, I'll usually cartop it, purely for the ease of getting the boat in there without worrying about parking/turning...or whether the trailer will still be there when I get back. :P

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:21 am

Nice buy. It took me ages to eventually buy a trailer down here too.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Nice !... yep, I’m firmly in the trailer camp as well !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Finally HLD,

I can't reverse with mine yet, but man, so much easier! Especially as you say, that final lift at the end of a long day of fishing. I just have to rest my kayak's nose on the support bars and it gentle slides onto the trailer.
Plus, wonderfully convenient for storage.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:51 pm
Yeah, trailers certainly have a place. I only cartop at the moment because I have a clapped out Toyota and my 'other' trailer is a hulking 300kg beast with springs that aren't kind to glass yaks - and you know you're dragging nearly a half tonne of steel when towing.

Saying that, if I'm doing a remote launch at some secluded northland bay, I'll usually cartop it, purely for the ease of getting the boat in there without worrying about parking/turning...or whether the trailer will still be there when I get back. :P
Mines been parked at all sorts of beaches around Northland on the weekends for the last 10 years or so and no one has ever touched it and before you say it no it is not a piece of crap trailer and I have never had a lock on it.....

You will love having a trailer!!!

Cheers!!

Hairy Little Dwarf

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:15 pm

Yer, the times I do trailer it, it's far too easy!
It's been stripped down for a touch up to get rid of some light fungus and a repaint, and then I'll give the insides of the RHS a soak in fishoilene. Hopefully done by the end of the weekend.

Took the winch post into work and swapped it for a whole wild pork :clap: Love the North.

gadgetm
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8300

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:24 pm

FatherOfMany wrote:
Finally HLD,

I can't reverse with mine yet, but man, so much easier! Especially as you say, that final lift at the end of a long day of fishing. I just have to rest my kayak's nose on the support bars and it gentle slides onto the trailer.
Plus, wonderfully convenient for storage.
I had one of those embarrassing moments a couple of years back. Doing a load of tidying up and dumping stuff, trailer load after trailer load. At one stage I stopped in the road to back up the driveway and had to think how to do it. Had been so long since I'd backed up without a trailer I'd forgotten how to do it.

I feel the need to build another trailer or two, three doesn't feel like enough. Multi purpose job, clip on sides, clip on yak raks, ...

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Stripped, Sandblasted, treated and painted.
Redid the ugly twisted wire and insulting tape joins - well, ran a whole new cable, all nicely soldered and sleeved with hot glue heatshrink.
Took a leaf out of the springs to tone them down to around 250kg, I'll see how they ride with a boat on it (all 30kg) - Might end up swapping them out for a single leaf unit.

Bolted the mudguards on, only to realise that the axle was directional and I'd put it on back to front :swear: :swear: An 30 minutes later all was good again.

Next stage is to make a number plate mount (I hated the outrigger upstand) and plug the drain holes to give the inside a good fishoilene soak.
Then run a couple of Unistrut rails along the main members for the Horizontal bars for the cradles, allowing me to add/move extra bars to suit different hulls when carrying multiple boats

Undecided whether to refit the jockey, a fair bit of extra weight which would help load the towball which with such a light beastie isn't a bad thing.

Don't even know it's there when towing, unlike the 1500kg GVM monster :whew:
112.JPG

bigreddog

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:21 am

Can't wait to see that loaded up for a trip!! Great price too

I've got to wonder though, how many roof rack lifts could you do for the amount of work that is taking? The last trailer I tidied up killed my back!

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:55 am

FatherOfMany wrote:
I can't reverse with mine yet...
An honest comment. It took me about a year of regular use to get OK, another couple of years to get reasonably competent. I still don't try anything too clever, but there's less anxiety than there used to be!

• Information