Anyone for golf?

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:30 pm

As some of you probably know I have a new job , so instead of sitting about with gardeners , tree surgeons and tractor drivers at smoko, I have found myself hanging with people who look after Kiwi, Tuatara , and fish. The smoko conversations are quite different .
Well some are , ....we cover sport , local gossip, music , blah ,blah , then since most of us are fisho's of varying genre, we cover spearfishing , surfcasting , kayak fishing , the weather , and on it goes .
Today however my boss dropped a beauty in the mix .! something I had never thought of , and a good idea in my mind.
We were discussing fishing over shallow foul ground , and my contribution was to use a tennis ball , and thread your trace thru that but Kerry reckoned a golf ball was better, since it neither sinks nor floats . You put a screw eye into it and feed the line thru that . Could be a good stray line trick in the yak,good bit of weight for casting, and that sort of" ambient" weight in the water, a livie on a couple of metres of trace, a whole Pillie or Anchovy.Hmmmm, theres potential there !

2can
Kayak Make: Ocean Ultra
Kayak Model: Ocean 4.3
VHF Call Sign: zms8337

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:03 pm

All golf balls I've hit into water have sunk so don't think it would work. The older rubber balls may be different story.

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:50 am

Yeah, thats the point , they sink ,but at a slower more ambient rate, and bobble about when they get down there, unlike a lead sinker on a stray line.

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:02 am

As a young diver in the 80's the club I belonged to use to dive in the springs at Hamaurana golf course to collect golf balls. That was turbulent environment 'dancing sands' etc and balls stayed put so they
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:55 pm

Interesting.
I imagine 99.999% of water hazards on courses are fresh, but in salt...
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

• Information