Profish 400 setup tips?

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:56 am

Just bought a profish.
Was wondering if anyone had modded viking kayaks so i could see some different ideas on how you set up your sounder / railblaza's at the front plus any other mod's which are interesting

Cheers Blair
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
15.1kg Yellowtail Kingfish - Tongoio Beach
3.1kg Snapper - Oraka Beach Mahia
3.2kg Kahawai - Napier Port
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
1.3kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia
1.3kg John Dory - Taranaki Port
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay

Flowrider
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Flowrider

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:24 pm

I have a reload but one of my favourite mods for anchored up bait fishing was putting starports by the seat area for railblaza rod holders. That way you can adjust the holders to the angle you want. You see every bite and the rod is easy to grab. Pretty sure the 400 has the same space just behind the seat.
This pic gives you an idea

Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:45 pm

It does take a while to get it setup to how it suits you and your fishing style, everyone's a little different I guess.
Me personally think the scottys are better at the front as they are closed in all the way round, unlike the railblazer which is open, the closed style is easier to get the rods in without the butt getting hooked up in the open section of the railblazer.
But I do have the Railblazers mounted just in behind my seat, mounted on friction stays, which enables swinging the rods 90degrees out from the yak, when fishing's quiet I will run a rod out each side, so tip to tip I have about 5meter spread. then use the two soft bait rods out the front. These do not interfere with your paddle stroke, but will if you leave the rods in then paddle :lol:
What I would say is give a bit of thought to it, I have seen some yaks over the years, you would have thought fell out of Railblazers shop window :| every gizmo and gadget possible attached :lol:
DSCF5235.jpg
The rear rod leashes I attach to the small safety leashes on the rod holders, and the front rods are attached to an O ring just in front of the f/f... :y:

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:00 pm

I have no idea - I have a Prowler 4.3

Just wanted to congratulate you on the upgrade - I was wondering how much longer you could fish from the Mission 290...

I look forward to hearing about some more Epic trips.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

Epicskwid

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Not much longer in that tiny thing . if i got into some serious fish they would even fit on it. cheers for the pictures guys. What i want to have is two holders out out side of me just to sit there while bait fishing. It's very slow in this part of the country you wouldn't believe it 30min - 1 hour per eating fish sometimes none
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's

Flowrider
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Flowrider

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Yeah I would second what awondering said also, have a few sessions out fishing before doing too many changes and get a feel for how you would like it set up. Sometimes simple is better... ;)
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:14 pm

I have my front rod holders and FF set up similar to AW. Those rear Raiblazas look like a good idea too. I've been pondering something similar.

One thing I have done is move my FF battery out of the tackle pod. It's actually in a housing that is attached to the underside of the front hatch cover. This gives me more room in the tackle pod and it's very easy to fit and remove the battery.

If I'm not using the FF I leave the battery hatch behind and fit an unmodified hatch cover.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

B0ydie
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:45 pm

After visiting awonderings place once to pick up a rod I saw his set up with the twisty rod holders behind the seat and I did the same it works great wish I had done it earlier

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Profish 400

Epicskwid

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:12 pm

The gear i'm looking to put on is two holders on each side to avoid loading the rods on a high angle . always want them on a slight angle up from horizontal and in reach. And the other thing i was wanting is a nice reachable mount for my camera as i film every time i head out. another thing is if i catch a baitfish good for a livebait it will go down on my 24kg spin set so another holder out the front would be good. the main issue with holders is the butt coming out the end of them and if they will fit. As for a sounder that will come in the future.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 10.09.11 PM.png
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's

MikeAqua

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:42 pm

Those rod holders you have depicted just forward of the seat ... I would be tempted to put them further back, beside the seat. They'll be out of the way and still easy to reach.

Even the rod holders behind the seat are easy enough to reach. That's where I put mine when I'm trolling.

Something else worth looking at is a railblaza in the middle of the rod holder behind your seat. Handy place for a light pole to be able to reach it to turn it off.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:54 pm

Epicskwid wrote:The gear i'm looking to put on is two holders on each side to avoid loading the rods on a high angle . always want them on a slight angle up from horizontal and in reach. And the other thing i was wanting is a nice reachable mount for my camera as i film every time i head out. another thing is if i catch a baitfish good for a livebait it will go down on my 24kg spin set so another holder out the front would be good. the main issue with holders is the butt coming out the end of them and if they will fit. As for a sounder that will come in the future.
Mate those holder there will be a bloody nuisance and will interfere with your paddle stroke :!: dont do it :lol:

Those ones I have placed just behind the seat make the rods quite lateral and I tend to swing them around until they are in my peripheral vision :!:

The scottys have no swinging gate bit on the bottom like railblazers so the butt will not go through the holder.

Epicskwid

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:13 pm

All part of the plan :lol: i will be testing out these holder positions before they get put it
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:33 pm

Wicked man !!Just in time for the new season, a few Mahia trips coming up and I'm sure you will feel much more secure out wide in a bigger yak, well done ! You know my workshop setup, so if you need any assistance call me , otherwise between you and the old fella , I 'm sure you will get it sorted. Its a huge buzz setting up a new boat, so enjoy every minute of it . Shame the weather isn't playing the game just at present , but thats how it rolls .
I remember when I took delivery of my kayak after work one evening , and I was so excited, I went straight to the Port from Pandora Kayaks , and the minute I got there it absolutely pissed down! Not to be deterred, I waited for the rain to pass , and had a couple of beers. As night approached , the sky cleared, and I jumped into my unfamiliar kayak, and paddled out. The fine spell lasted about 10 minutes , and in the failing light I paddled home , admittedly from only about a couple of hundred metres out ,in a torrential down pour!Half pissed, and wet to the skin , In a craft I was unfamiliar with , and in the dark ,I decided that this was the sport for me!!! It hasn't failed to deliver!

piwikiwi
Kayak Model: PF400

Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:42 pm

The mount on the baitboard you have shown is also the spot for a fishfinder so keep that in mind.

petecanaan
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:46 am

Good stuff epicsquid!
Loving my 400. Ditched my rudder to make loading easier. Only takes a couple minutes to reinstall when i want it. Battery under front hatch. Seem to need all the the storage for tackleboxs.... and lunch!
Ive only put one rodholder on, up the front for trolling. Due to the lack of holders I find myself fishing more actively with rod in hand using lures/strayline/softies... and a lot less anchoring n dropping ledger rigs.
You goin to love ya new yak! :rock:

mullett
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: tetra 12

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:58 pm

I know it's not a Viking, but I think this is the set up you after. I found it on the Scoty website and it works well
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (221.93 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
Kingie 89 cm at Kina, Snapper 84 cm at Cable, Blue Cod 45cm at cable,
Gurnard 50cm at Keiteriteri , Khawai 64cm at Kina.

Tetra 12 ( 01/2015- 11/2016)
Trident 4,3 new (11/2016 -

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:38 pm

That pic reminds me of my first kayak fishing setup. I thought it was pretty cool at the time. Seems like an age ago now!

Epicskwid

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:12 pm

This is what the final setup looks like . Just added the tubes today
Two rod holders behind me and the camera nicely in reach in front. don't need a sounder for the current moment . i have a rough reading when i put the anchor down (count the seconds) and if i'm getting bites theres fish there!
Attachments
PA010027.JPG
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's

TouringNevada
Kayak Make: Sportsmaster
Kayak Model: 3.7
VHF Call Sign: N/A

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:38 pm

Flowrider wrote:I have a reload but one of my favourite mods for anchored up bait fishing was putting starports by the seat area for railblaza rod holders. That way you can adjust the holders to the angle you want. You see every bite and the rod is easy to grab. Pretty sure the 400 has the same space just behind the seat.
This pic gives you an idea

Thats a very nice setup. I bought a reload about a month ago not sure how to modify. Can you share some more photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeAqua

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:09 am

I'm making a couple of PVC tubes with end caps (filled with epoxy) that fit in the rod holders and screwed starports to those. That way I can have adjustable rod holders portable around the boat.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

• Information