Shortening the rod butt for kayak fishing

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
lespresso
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:18 pm

IMG_0093.JPG
unable to find a rod off the shelf with a short butt section i took the hacksaw and razor blade to the rods i bought

i left 110-120mm of foam grip plus the butt cap

a razor blade to cut off the excess foam grip, then wrap masking tape on the now exposed blank to build the diameter up so the butt cap just fits over it, and then araldite the butt cap in place

i expect everyone has their personal preference in such things, but i find the standard distance from the bottom of the reel seat to the end of the rod annoyingly long on a kayak and the exposed blank section between the two foam grips at the base of the rod can result in failure of the blank after extended abrasion against the edge of the rod holder

the rods cast a lot better with the weight of the reel lower down, and it sits lower in the rod holder making it more secure
Ocean Kayak Trident 15 (2017)

bobcat9
Kayak Make: Prowler 4.1
Kayak Model: ultra4,1
VHF Call Sign: ZMT 6538

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:24 pm

I agree- I shorten the butts on all my rods.

Downtown
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF440

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Reels closer to the water doesn't rock my world but each to their own as you said but yours have come up looking good :y:

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:35 pm

Pro`s and cons for both, I do not like them at all when its rough, my reels get hammered by salt water, but when I know its going to be calm I do like shorter butt rods,you don't get as much leverage with these.
Some fellas like the reel seat well up the blank on OH so they get the butt under the arm pit :!:
I have been asked for reel seats to be placed 500mm from the Gimbal butt :y: The norm is usually around 300mm to 350mm....

• Information