Gadgetmans Espri

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
gadgetm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8300

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Since my old yak grew legs and walked I had to get another one. After a good look around and asking for some opinions from other members I was on the lookout for a Tetra, Espri or Hornet. The main criteria being light weight as I'm not that young, not that I'll ever admit it, and when I jump on the scales I need a friend to help me make the needle move. Most of the time it is used it will be carted on the roof racks of the 4x4 which I can just reach by rocking up on the balls of my feet (a portable step is in order). The market is pretty limited down here and the first thing that popped up was a Viking Espri, so the Espri it is.

First thing was to add some side handles so an old seatbelt, aluminium bar and stainless machine screws were used to solve that. Next the Fish finder was fitted, with the transducer glued into the hull with silicone. The mount for the display was placed between the legs for easy reach.

Also added a rear hatch for easier access and an anchor trolley.

Next was a look at the boot.

A bit on the small side, so I rummaged around the shed and found some ply, cut it to shape and glued and nailed some 40mmx10mm around the edge. Sliced it through and added a couple of hinges.

Lots of rasp and sandpaper work then followed in the 30+ degree heat to shape all the edges to get a neat fit with less than 0.5mm gap all around. After a few coats of cheap matt acrylic I added some weather seal to the bottom edge to make it fit even neater and less abrasive.

I want to keep it all light so the boot rack will be removable to I can still put the vessel on the roof racks. Will use webbing straps cam locks and saddles to hold it in place, as well as to hold a box of gear on top.

Setting up a long line for it too. Might leave that for another thread.

gadgetm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8300

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:38 am

I made a fairly compact long line set up for the yak. I wanted short traces so it was a DIY job, since I couldn't find any anywhere that came close to the specs I wanted. For the trace rack I cut a length of PVC downpipe and cut 6mm slots in each end. Then I tied on the hooks and then the long line clips to the correct length. Fairly happy with the way it can out and only had to retie 3 on the rack.

I then tied a shark clip to the end of 25m of 3mm dropper and wound it onto a $10 electrical cable reel, tied on the back bone and wound that on, and then added on the second dropper and finished with another shark clip. Cheap and cheerful. I can put a little conduit into a rod holder and put the centre of the spool over the conduit to make it easier to feed out and bait up. If I want to lock up the spool I put one of the holes in the spool over the conduit. Simple and very effective. The spool floats too.

I found a suitable plastic box to put everything into and drilled holes all over it for attachment points, drains and so rope lines to clip gear to. Again, the whole crate is buoyant with everything attached.

Last edited by gadgetm on Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:34 pm

Nice , Chamfer the outside edges, spray it blue , & it'll look like part of the yak !

• Information