Drilling into fiberglass kayaks

Show off your pride and joy or look for ideas and help here.
DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Bought myself a Stealth EVO 465.

It doesn't have a running rig, so I'll have to fit one.

Whats the best way to do that? Screws, rivets?

I'm not going to be able to get to the other side for a back-plate unless I cut holes, which I don't want to do.

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:02 pm

I've had the best results with hull rivets...

Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Can you fix it to the handles??

Hawk
Kayak Make: Pinnacle
Kayak Model: Elite
VHF Call Sign: Hawk ZMU3995

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:56 pm

DocProfit wrote:Whats the best way to do that? Screws, rivets?
I did this:
viewtopic.php?p=196305#p196305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just make sure it's on the double skinned part. Although some would say it's not an ideal position to screw into, I (like you) had limited options.

cheaterparts
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 525

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:04 pm

I don't know if this helps but I wonted to use existing screw mounts where possible with my profisha mods and so made up some 3 mm aluminium plates to mount pulley blocks on for my running rig - it has worked out ok

I used 20 mm Ronstan blocks both ends that are mounted on the 3 mm aluminium plates - under the plates I made a thin rubber gasket and used longer 10 # stainless self tappers ( 1 1/4 " long from memory )
a few Pee Clips along the side on existing screws looks like enough to keep it tidy

Blocks both ends are held off the Gel Coat so wont mark it over time and I use stainless button head screws on the under side that holds the block mount so if the brackets get smashed into the hull at any time there will be much less damage than a nut

DocProfit

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:20 pm

Looks great!

It's surprising these yaks don't come with at least some sort of mount for a running rig.

dedant
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:02 pm

cheaterparts wrote:I don't know if this helps but I wonted to use existing screw mounts where possible with my profisha mods and so made up some 3 mm aluminium plates to mount pulley blocks on for my running rig - it has worked out ok

I used 20 mm Ronstan blocks both ends that are mounted on the 3 mm aluminium plates - under the plates I made a thin rubber gasket and used longer 10 # stainless self tappers ( 1 1/4 " long from memory )
a few Pee Clips along the side on existing screws looks like enough to keep it tidy

Blocks both ends are held off the Gel Coat so wont mark it over time and I use stainless button head screws on the under side that holds the block mount so if the brackets get smashed into the hull at any time there will be much less damage than a nut
That is nice work. :y:

Glass is Class.. dedant

cheaterparts
Kayak Model: Profisha 525

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:44 am

DocProfit wrote:Looks great!

It's surprising these yaks don't come with at least some sort of mount for a running rig.
I'm not as many of the guys in the north of our country dont even fit them same in S.A. where they are made
here around Melbourne Aust though anchoring and drift shoots are common place for fishing the bays

I'm more surprised that a simple set of brackets like mine seamed a new idea ( or they are here ) since Stealth have been around for some time . I made up a few sets for the local Stealth agent here in Melbourne he liked them as they fit both the fisha and profisha range ( both becoming popular here )

I also made up a bracket that fits a zig zag cleat and it uses 2 screws from the side rear rod holder - this again just uses longer screws and no extra holes needed to be drilled -- i'll dig up a pic for you later if you interested

DocProfit

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:50 pm

Sure, if you can find it. Still not sure what I'm going to end up doing.

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:07 pm

A little tip for drilling holes in fibreglass. Sometime the gel-coat will crack as you drill it.

To avoid this, run the drill bit in reverse to start with until its through the gel-coat layer.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information