Destroyer Class Kayak; SUZUKAZE (Trident 4.3 LITE rigged)

Show off your pride and joy or look for ideas and help here.
Yukikaze
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.1/4.3

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:18 pm

Destroyer Class; SUZUKAZE (sister of Yukikaze)

Here is my new USA moulded Trident 4.3, rigged ready for action.
Continuing with my warship analogy I have named her the "SUZUKAZE" meaning Cool Breeze, the last and 10th destroyer made in her class launched in 1937 and survived till Jan 1944.

The Trident 4.3 is listed as 14 foot, or 4.3m, but is actually 4.40m long measured straight, an ideal match to the vaunted Viking 440 serious fishing kayak.
It is listed 30.8kg, I have removed the heavier bulky 2kg multi reversible hatch cover on the console and put on the lightweight factory alternative lid.
Perhaps saved 1.8kg and call her a 29kg boat now, definately still a notch heavier than her sister tho being 30mm wider and 350mm longer.
P1020723.JPG
Not being keen on a heavier vessel I have kept this as light as possible otherwise I believe there is a tendency to favour the easier one to man handle if you have a choice, and I have grown to love my Ultra 4.1 which is fast and manoeuverable.
As mentioned I have used the lightweight lid and set up the battery hold directly under the FF mount in similar fashion to the YUKIKAZE.
I have bolted thru some aluminium angle to stiffen the lid and provide a bungee battery cradle under the hatch to eliminate any holes in the hull. This is simple, clean, convenient and the small battery coupled to the humminbird gives me over a week end of fishing.
P1020721.JPG
The light lid is also a much lower profile and doesnt stick up above the kayak sides and therefore reduces windage.
I have removed the factory console clamps and replaced with my own lighter simple deck bungees and put the factory nylon screws in the spare holes, and mounted a melamine cutting board similar to the Yukikaze armament.
I have mounted the fish finder on a blank black plastic spacer plate which enables me to change fishfinders one day without a multitude of bullet holes in the console lid panel.
P1020725.JPG
P1020722.JPG
On the dash I have the twin turrets of the scotty transom rod holder as per the Yukikaze to enable me to take out four rods of choice.
I have gone with the Viking running rig on this one as its easier to use, and a better colour match (Thanks Viking team :y: )
And aft I have a purpose made TAGIT bag with drogue storage to keep with the light theme.
P1020730.JPG
P1020726.JPG
The main obvoius difference between the NZ made OK 4.3 and the USA made one (besides being 2kg lighter) is in the seating area where the seat lip has been raised to segregate the seating area, and improve comfort to bum and feet. (not tested at time of print but reports are good)
Other differences are the upgraded rudder pedals, the accessory holes behind the seat (used as additional rod holders) are gone as is one of the rear well drain holes to improve hull speed.
P1020724.JPG
One of few negatives of this edition is the paddle savers; these donot have enough room to hold the shaft so I have reversed the original factory positions with the deck line to improve it slightly.
P1020728.JPG
P1020729.JPG
I have a rudder kit ready to go, just havent installed yet or at time of print, but it will feature once I sort out the revised :headbang: bolt footprint onto the NZ bracket .
This kayak looks to have extra room in the cockpit at 750mm beam, no moulded in footrests, with increased storage in the console, and rear well for those Waikato West coast big boy fish.
Although the sulphur yellow maybe boring, it is sharp and fresh, contrasts very nice with the black trim, accessories, and ocean and is probably the best visible colour available which is a biggy in my book.
Decals all supplied by Mental :y: to break up the yellow, and provide some identity, and personality.

Specs:
Estimate 29kg (-1.8kg off list weight for lid change)
75cm wide (measured)
4.37m long (measured)
Capacity 159kg

Very similar to a certain 4.40m rival kayak!

Look forward to getting this in the water, and thanks for reading.
At least you'll recognise the boat when you see it.
Last edited by Yukikaze on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
PROWLER 4.1 "YUKIKAZE"
TRIDENT 4.3 "SUZUKAZE"

love 2 fish
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 400, reload

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Nice work. Im looking forward to seeing it in action
apart of the WAIKATO KAYAK FISHING CLUB

Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:13 pm

Nice ship.
Blazer60
Stealth Fisha 500 ZMW5911

vundu
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: Pro GT
VHF Call Sign: nil

Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:45 am

Looking good, and well thought out. I am sure it will give you good service, and lots of fish. :D

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:57 am

Nice setup.....am sure you'll be very pleased !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

BackBone
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.1

Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:32 am

Really nice setup, king of jealous. Hey quick question how do you find the overall fishability out of the 4.3 over the 4.1? I've got an ultra 4.1 which is great and I'm currently looking for something more offshorish. Something more stable and faster.

I was thinking of donating mine to either the mrs or selling it and getting either the 4.3 or reload. It would seem you would have an accurate review over both as you have both.

Thanks mate 8)

Yukikaze

Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi Backbone; I havent fished her yet and only put her in the drink for the first time this morning on flat water so these are first impressions only. The more time/hours you spend in any kayak you become miore comfortable.
I got this for exactly the same reason as you are referring to, and the fact it was only $1799 meant it would be a good investment from the start. I still love my 4.1 as an easy to handle manoeurable vessel.

Firstly I would say it appears no more stable than the 4.1, you can sit in it and rock it side to side very easily like in the 4.1 and feel like you could go if you dont have awareness of water activity around you and you are leaning too far one way- that surprised me as the talk is its more stable but I wouldnt concur at this early stage.
Really its gonna be the same style to fish from I believe as its the exactly same set up just everything is a bit bigger/roomier.
Definately more leg room in length and width, and changing the lid has made it even more roomier, comfortable on the inner thighs.
The rod holder configuration is the same as the 4.1, the console storage is much bigger, the fish bin is bigger, and the longer water line 'should' provide additional speed and sea worthyness in worse conditions.

I am only 5'7" so are comfortable in both, I can also manhandle the 4.3 over my head onto my Nissan van with out too much difficulty. I have got it to below 30kg with the change in lid, but perhaps its still 2kg heavier than my 4.1 the way I put that on the roof.
I would think if you were a bigger build you might struggle in the 4.1 in terms of room?
Rob Fort put some info up earlier on the Trident which was very complimentary,and more comprehensive than mine.
But if you want a straight compare of 4.1 to the Trident 4.3 then I am saying that stability isnt significantly different.
I have paddled a Reload, and found that they are a little more stable in the primary stability, but only because (in my opinion) the seat postion is about 50mm lower and you are actually sitting in the water coming up through the drain holes. Thats what my Scrambler XT was like back in the day, the Trident definately has a higher seating position, probably more so than a NZ made ones.
I have not paddled a NZ made 4.3 so cant comment.
Hope this is of help, pm me anytime for further questions.
20150405_105831[1].jpg
PROWLER 4.1 "YUKIKAZE"
TRIDENT 4.3 "SUZUKAZE"

BackBone

Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Hey thanks Yukikaze, really appreciate your unbiased feedback. I may still lean towards the 4.3 or bite the bullet and get a small boat. I'd rather go for a kayak as I like sitting close to the water and 'earning' your fish for a feed :y:

BackBone

Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:26 pm

By the way both your kayaks are laid out well. I used to take everything with me when I go out for a fish but realised half the gear I didnt use so it was just added weight.

Keeping it lean is the definitely the way forward.

Yukikaze

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:04 pm

The advantage of the kayak is if you catch nothing you still have alot more fun.
Everyone is different and it would be boring if everyone was the same, or had the same, and its great when you meet up to show your pride and joy. Take bits of everyone to make your own.
I love my 4.1 almost better but only because how its set up, but I'm sure when I get the 4.3 out with a similar set up I will love it more its just spending time in it and appreciating the benefits, but really its the same but a bit bigger. It has no real major difference in my set ups apart from extra width and length, which then becomes a selection for the location perhaps, or your just favourite.
Speed and stability are neglible, but way more storage. Cheers.
PROWLER 4.1 "YUKIKAZE"
TRIDENT 4.3 "SUZUKAZE"

Paddle
Kayak Model: Trident Ultra 4.3

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:57 pm

How do you get to those rods up front when at sea? Do you have go go gadget arms?

Looks good though, good luck out there :)
--
Gone Phishing - ZMU8078
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

kinghong1970
Kayak Model: Trident Ultra 4.3

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:43 am

good question... i'm 5'4" and i wont be able to reach those up front...

Yukikaze

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:20 am

As I mentioned I havent actually fished from this as yet so it could be subject to some refining as with any boat you set up.
If they were too hard to reach then I would turn the rod holders to facing back, this is the same set up as I have in my 4.1 Yukikaze, the cockpit is 200mm longer in the Trident but they are a little close in the 4.1 and only just escape my paddle stroke. On the 4.1 that is why I have the rod holders mounted forward of the transom, and to the rear on the trident which would reduce that 200mm difference down to about 100mm in terms of reach. A certain amount of flexibility is required on a kayak full stop, whether putting large fish in the bin behind you, reaching, or grabbing a rod forward or aft.

I prefer the rods in front of me when I fish, and I like to take 3-4 rods with me set with specific tackle.
Once fishing they can be moved back to the middle rod holders if more convenient but I do prefer to keep them more forward, with my legs out!
The 4.3's commonly have a rod holder mounted in this position, and being on the transom they are actually positioned closer to me than the direct single mount, alternatively if i mount them the opposite side I can grab the rod butt.
Everyone is different, but I mostly fish drogue to front, lines straight down, rods forward, so I am watching everything in front of me, not wondering what is behind.

Thats my comments on that one boys, this is the best position on the yak for rods in my book.
PROWLER 4.1 "YUKIKAZE"
TRIDENT 4.3 "SUZUKAZE"

Yukikaze

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:09 pm

In a dry run in the garage they are a little hard to reach they way I have them mounted them in the pics above.
And upon reflection/fine tuning, just ordered a pair of Scotty 479 Rocket launcher type rod holders for the transom mount.
I will aim them up back towards me, so I can grab the top of the butt, and with the rocket launcher type the butt doesnt slide down thru so will be easier to grab. The beauty of having them the original way was the butt of the rod sat down into the extended foot wells which reduces the top heavy effect to the kayak. Aklways got to be conscious of keeping the centre of gravity as low as possible.

"Rocket launchers" - how appropriate for the Suzukaze :y:
PROWLER 4.1 "YUKIKAZE"
TRIDENT 4.3 "SUZUKAZE"

Yukikaze

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:29 pm

20150427_155225[1].jpg
Installed the rudder sleeves and cable, drilled the 3/8" holes, all thru about 4mm thick of plastic hull.
20150427_155311[1].jpg
Feed a wire and magnet thru rod holder, to pick up sleeve with drill bit attached to grab.
20150427_161214[1].jpg
Sleeves and wires installed, the fishing out was easy, got both on first attempt.
The hardest part was actually pushing the grommets into the 3/8" holes, so they should be well sealed.
Next; to install the rudder bracket, rudder, and connect pedals.
PROWLER 4.1 "YUKIKAZE"
TRIDENT 4.3 "SUZUKAZE"

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:31 pm

Looking good Yukikaze, did you get the rudder finished?
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Yukikaze

Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:49 pm

No Jas I'm a bit like you with 100 other jobs on the list (more important?)
But I think I've done the perceived hard bit. :beer:
I also have my Scotty rocket launchers good to go, should be ready for the WKFC weekend at Snapper Aroha!
PROWLER 4.1 "YUKIKAZE"
TRIDENT 4.3 "SUZUKAZE"

Yukikaze

Mon May 04, 2015 3:12 pm

20150503_112458[1].jpg
Lots of bullet holes??
No, decided to turn this bracket upside down and start again drilling holes for the rudder bracket as the USA hole centres are different for the rudder brackethole template.
The bottom pair of holes are 4mm further apart, and further apart downwards too hence why easier to turn upside down and start over otherwise they would be too close and might look more unsightly.
All epoxy coated and good to go, and once on you won't tell.
PROWLER 4.1 "YUKIKAZE"
TRIDENT 4.3 "SUZUKAZE"

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Mon May 04, 2015 7:19 pm

Looks awesome. Rods at the front will be easy yo reach with a quick shuffle.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

BackBone

Mon May 04, 2015 11:11 pm

Hey Yukikaze. I'm hoping you've had time to paddle and fish the 4.3 now. Are you able to give a comparison about the pros and cons of each of your kayaks please. This would help immensely, thanks in advance :beer:

Return to “Rigging and Rigged Kayaks”

• Information