View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:33 pm



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Bite Times 
Author Message

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:21 am
Posts: 248
Location: Auckland
Post Bite Times
I just had a read of this and thought it may be of interest to the forum members.

http://www.predictweather.com/ArticleSh ... &type=home


Image


Thu May 05, 2011 10:25 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:37 am
Posts: 6679
Location: Glen Eden Waitakere City
Post Re: Bite Times
Thanks for that dougie , im quite interested in this and how well it works .
Ive heard good things about it before :y:


Thu May 05, 2011 10:44 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:12 pm
Posts: 1612
Location: Taranaki
Post Re: Bite Times
Yep I'm a big believer in bite times.
You have to take a few things into consideration i.e estuaries, large harbours and the likes are more about current flow/tides etc, but in saying that, tides are moon related :lol:
It effects a lot more things than just bite times although I'll probably get shot down for saying that.
Could end up an interesting thread :lol:


Image

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m


Thu May 05, 2011 11:12 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:14 pm
Posts: 1077
Post Re: Bite Times
You know if that had anyone elses name on it (other than Ken Rings) it would be a lot more believable...

Um - I semi agree with this but not 100%. He seems to be merging a bunch of factors together to strengthen his argument. Unfortunately - if I was to wait for the perfect bite time lining up with health, opportunity, weather etc I would go fishing once a year if that.


Fri May 06, 2011 9:07 am
Profile
Online
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:20 pm
Posts: 6944
Location: West Harbour
Post Re: Bite Times
Here's another article on the same subject that was in the Herald a little while back


viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3254&p=32550&hilit=+bite+times#p32550


"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Image
Image


Fri May 06, 2011 9:32 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:13 am
Posts: 4903
Location: South Auckland
Post Re: Bite Times
Paul in NZ wrote:
You know if that had anyone elses name on it (other than Ken Rings) it would be a lot more believable...

Um - I semi agree with this but not 100%. He seems to be merging a bunch of factors together to strengthen his argument. Unfortunately - if I was to wait for the perfect bite time lining up with health, opportunity, weather etc I would go fishing once a year if that.

Exactly. I agree with what he says, but its not the only time you catch fish. I used to try and line it up but on occation it would stop me going out. So now I go when I can and enjoy it.


Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420


Fri May 06, 2011 10:07 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 pm
Posts: 185
Post Re: Bite Times
The more you believe in Bite Time the more it knocks your confidence when all the "ducks" don't line up. I go out whenever I can and almost never come home without something in the bin. I also subscribe to the belief that one has good days and bad days and leave it at that. There is more to fishing success than being a slave to Bite Time.

Rainbow


Fri May 06, 2011 12:23 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:04 pm
Posts: 497
Location: Te Toro/Waiuku
Post Re: Bite Times
rainbow wrote:
The more you believe in Bite Time the more it knocks your confidence when all the "ducks" don't line up. I go out whenever I can and almost never come home without something in the bin. I also subscribe to the belief that one has good days and bad days and leave it at that. There is more to fishing success than being a slave to Bite Time.

Rainbow


Although I do take bite times into account,I agree with what your saying there Rainbow.
Some thing the bite time booklets and sites often don't tell you is how strong the bite is going to be.
For this I've found that Bill Hohepa's Maori fishing calendar along with how well my goldfish are feeding gives me a fairly good idea of how things will go in that department.
I catch fish almost every time I go out,but the length of the bite time can get down to no more than a 10-15 minite window on those days that the Maori calendar says the fishing will be poor.
Also when my Gold fish are being lazy about feeding,the ocean fish in my area will be much the same.
The popular opinion where I usualy fish is that the fishing is best up to about 1 hour after full tide,,which coincides with the bite times more or less spot on,,,but the Manukau also fishes well at any time of day or tide,,,if your in the right place ;)


Image


Fri May 06, 2011 4:57 pm
Profile
Online
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:20 pm
Posts: 6944
Location: West Harbour
Post Re: Bite Times
Pawprints wrote:
rainbow wrote:
The more you believe in Bite Time the more it knocks your confidence when all the "ducks" don't line up. I go out whenever I can and almost never come home without something in the bin. I also subscribe to the belief that one has good days and bad days and leave it at that. There is more to fishing success than being a slave to Bite Time.

Rainbow


Although I do take bite times into account,I agree with what your saying there Rainbow.
Some thing the bite time booklets and sites often don't tell you is how strong the bite is going to be.
For this I've found that Bill Hohepa's Maori fishing calendar along with how well my goldfish are feeding gives me a fairly good idea of how things will go in that department.
I catch fish almost every time I go out,but the length of the bite time can get down to no more than a 10-15 minite window on those days that the Maori calendar says the fishing will be poor.
Also when my Gold fish are being lazy about feeding,the ocean fish in my area will be much the same.
The popular opinion where I usualy fish is that the fishing is best up to about 1 hour after full tide,,which coincides with the bite times more or less spot on,,,but the Manukau also fishes well at any time of day or tide,,,if your in the right place ;)



Hmmm...maybe the new 4.3 needs a place to put a gold fish bowl ??.. :wasntme:


"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Image
Image


Fri May 06, 2011 5:01 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:12 pm
Posts: 1612
Location: Taranaki
Post Re: Bite Times
I also go out when the weather and time suits. Just because the bite times aren't that great, doesn't mean I won't go out. Just because the bite time isn't flash, it doesn't mean you won't catch fish, however you probably won't do as well.
In saying that, I won't travel all the way up North for a comp if the moon phase is bad.
As Pawprints said earlier, it's more about the length of the bite time. On a bad day it may only be 10 to 15 minutes, however on a good day the bite times almost run into the next. Most of the time the charts only show the main bite time, which is after the high tide, however I believe there is a sequence of 4 bite times. Snapper over 20lb don't seem to bite at the same time that the smaller snapper do.
The bite times that I have noticed, are mainly apparent with snapper and don't seem to affect gurnard or blue cod in the same way. If gurnard and cod are there, they tend to feed. I haven't done enough study (translate as not caught enough :lol: ) on game fish to make comment.
Bite times are also dependent on longitude and latitude, so some charts might not suit your area. Also if you use a watch that has moon phases/bite times on it and you don't set it correctly, then it will be wrong. ;)

Just to add something of interest, the TKFC comp weekend has always been chosen by moon phases for the weather and even though the weather this year wasn't great, it wasn't predicted to be as there were no good moon phases for the weekends around that time. The moon phases predicted that the weather was going to be better during the week, which it was.


Another thing to note is that nations all over the world, had their own ways of fishing and predicting weather (and much more) by the moon phases for centuries, long before they new other nations existed. Early explorers wouldn't set off if the weather was predicted to be bad.

I keep an open mind and with so many nations for centuries predicting weather, fishing, gardening, planting crops etc by the moon, it's too much of a coincidence to discount it.

Now we have all the technology and still can't get it right :lol


Image

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m


Fri May 06, 2011 6:20 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Hainesy and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Mental Limited
[ Time : 0.243s | 13 Queries | GZIP : On ]