That's not a good sound...

Discussion here that is specific to SiKs and catching/processing fish without (hopefully) joining them...
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:20 pm

I've often wondered how people with these remote car keys get on with salt water, and been pleased I have the old-fashioned type that don't mind getting wet.

Normally, in fact for the last few years, I've always kept my keys on a neck lanyard and dropped them down inside the compression top for safe keeping. Something I hadn't even thought about until today when I was out for a play session in the new toy.

So, there I am in the Greenland T just rolling around (as you do) and whilst hanging around underwater I hear a muffled jingling sound.

My wee brain had enough time to register that it was the sound of my car keys before I saw them flutter past my face dancing towards the bottom, 30m below!

My hand left the paddle, flew towards my face and grabbed the lanyard as it slid over my head, mushing my left ear in its death grip. :whew:

It's amazing how much O2 your brain uses when panicking and with the ride home now secured, my brain turned to other, some would say minor, inconveniences such as:
I was still on the wrong side of the air/water interface.

I stuffed the keys in me gob for safe keeping and rolled up, momentarily considered dropping them back inside the compression top, but thought better of it and in short order the lanyard was half-hitched onto one of the PFD straps and the keys clipped onto the retaining clip in the pocket. Let's see you get out of that!

...I'll be chucking them inside a hatch in future :angel:

HLD
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Greggers
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4457

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Wow... Lucky! :y:

I keep my electronic keys in a small dry bag that goes inside a bigger dry bag that goes inside the centre well... They're never getting wet! :)
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 - "Fins" ZMW4457

destin
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:04 pm

I got rid of the car. Ride a push bike to work and tow the kayak to the beach via human power. :lol:

No keys and nothing to leave at the beach which is great.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

Pawprints

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:19 pm

Good catch :y:

I left a set of keys somewhere in the surf line at Kariotahi beach during my first surfing effort.
Had them inside the center hatch of the 400 shortly before finding out the bungies will not always hold the hatch completely shut during a roll over when there's also a broken loose battery bouncing around in there. :$
I've since redesigned my battery case and now have a webbing strap in place to help the bungies keep the hatch shut no matter what.
I now also leave my keys sitting on top of the ute's gas tank so it's not happening again.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Well!

Had a followup this afternoon of Part 2: The Revenge of the Bad Sound.

Popped out for some casual paddling around the coast around Paihia . I packed the grab bag of comms, flare, spare vhf etc etc but decided (for some obscure reason which still escapes me) to not bother with the spare paddle. Populated area, onshore wind, good weather staying coastal etc...

This would be the first time I've gone out without a spare paddle.

Got about 30 minutes up towards Opua and had been 'Rotary Cooling' as it was stinking hot.

Dipped under to refresh the cooling system and as I brought the paddle through to setup the roll there was a crackling sound and I watched in horror as the blade folded backwards...URK!

Grabbed the now separate blade before it floated down into the depths and hung upside down with a bit of paddle in each hand working out what to do next. I tucked the blade under the deckline and rolled up with the big bit of paddle. I bobbed around for a while trying to figure out why it had broken, as it wasn't the blade I was intending on using for the roll, so not under load.

I did notice water sloshing inside the shaft after yesterdays session, so maybe it was on it's way and only a matter of time. Who knows.

Options were:
Beach and ring for Mrs. Dwarf to come and pick me up. Discounted due to the ear damage I would sustain :worried:
Beach, and walk all the way back to the car (about 8km). Not in this heat!
Paddle back to my mate at Bay Beach Kayak Hire on the foreshore to borrow a spare to get me back to the car - Definitely the least traumatic option :y:

It's amazing how much you take two blades for granted.
Paddling along was fine, open canoe style, but there were a couple of times when a wake caught me trying to brace with a bit of stick :D And then there was the surf landing.
I sat off the beach for a couple of minutes, not looking forward to this - A short, dumping 3/4m swell was thumping the shallows...Maybe I could paddle all the way back? Nah, not a chance.
I timed the attack and came in with the yak already setup for a broach on the good side. Popped the deck and leapt out. Perfect. My dignity was still relatively intact, and I could always tell people a shark just off the beach took my other blade :devil:

Tony was more than happy to loan me a spare motor, and before long I was back into a balanced paddle stroke heading for the car. Orca's sleek and sexy lines and my God-like physique (as in Greek God, not Buddha :P ) only just compensated for the ugliness of the rental paddle - Gawd those Ali/Plastic paddles are heavy lumps :lol:

Loaded the car and dropped the paddle back to Tony with thanks, then on my way home. And 80km round trip for a 30minute paddle (I only count the planned bit).
P1010630.jpg
P1010630.jpg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
I don't know if I'm game to go out a third time :worried:
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Tanglewoods
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: P400

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:59 pm

Just stop going upside down! At least then you can breath while deciding what to do next.

fatbob
Kayak Model: PF 400

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:22 pm

2 weeks ago I've seen my electronic car keys floating in my foot area… Saltwater and old-school retro fitted alarm didn't mix. I had to leave my car at the lot and hitched a ride with a fellow yakker.
Lesson learned: less electronics as possible on board. Now I leave the beepy thing in the car and only take my keys with me ≠ the same as I always did when going for a surf.

K

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:05 am

:doh: Yeah, they say it comes in three's.
Sure is a spot of bad luck there HLD.
I've never carried a spare anything except rod or fishing rigs and thankfully never needed to. Sounds like you know how to test things to the limits :P
.... could be worse, could be working your arse off then bringing work home and reading threads like this at 12.05am with a couple more hours homework to do |(
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

TonesIam
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:54 pm

See, its not all about fishing, great read thank you haha.

glint
Kayak Model: 6m ?
VHF Call Sign: zmz6495

Thu May 31, 2012 4:26 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Well!

Had a followup this afternoon of Part 2: The Revenge of the Bad Sound.

Popped out for some casual paddling around the coast around Paihia . I packed the grab bag of comms, flare, spare vhf etc etc but decided (for some obscure reason which still escapes me) to not bother with the spare paddle. Populated area, onshore wind, good weather staying coastal etc...

This would be the first time I've gone out without a spare paddle.

Got about 30 minutes up towards Opua and had been 'Rotary Cooling' as it was stinking hot.

Dipped under to refresh the cooling system and as I brought the paddle through to setup the roll there was a crackling sound and I watched in horror as the blade folded backwards...URK!

Grabbed the now separate blade before it floated down into the depths and hung upside down with a bit of paddle in each hand working out what to do next. I tucked the blade under the deckline and rolled up with the big bit of paddle. I bobbed around for a while trying to figure out why it had broken, as it wasn't the blade I was intending on using for the roll, so not under load.

I did notice water sloshing inside the shaft after yesterdays session, so maybe it was on it's way and only a matter of time. Who knows.

Options were:
Beach and ring for Mrs. Dwarf to come and pick me up. Discounted due to the ear damage I would sustain :worried:
Beach, and walk all the way back to the car (about 8km). Not in this heat!
Paddle back to my mate at Bay Beach Kayak Hire on the foreshore to borrow a spare to get me back to the car - Definitely the least traumatic option :y:

It's amazing how much you take two blades for granted.
Paddling along was fine, open canoe style, but there were a couple of times when a wake caught me trying to brace with a bit of stick :D And then there was the surf landing.
I sat off the beach for a couple of minutes, not looking forward to this - A short, dumping 3/4m swell was thumping the shallows...Maybe I could paddle all the way back? Nah, not a chance.
I timed the attack and came in with the yak already setup for a broach on the good side. Popped the deck and leapt out. Perfect. My dignity was still relatively intact, and I could always tell people a shark just off the beach took my other blade :devil:

Tony was more than happy to loan me a spare motor, and before long I was back into a balanced paddle stroke heading for the car. Orca's sleek and sexy lines and my God-like physique (as in Greek God, not Buddha :P ) only just compensated for the ugliness of the rental paddle - Gawd those Ali/Plastic paddles are heavy lumps :lol:

Loaded the car and dropped the paddle back to Tony with thanks, then on my way home. And 80km round trip for a 30minute paddle (I only count the planned bit).
P1010630.jpg
I don't know if I'm game to go out a third time :worried:
that would not have happened to a good greenland paddle ;) :D :D
SOF 6mt kayak

Jamie D
Kayak Make: Profisha 525
Kayak Model: Stealth
VHF Call Sign: Warpig

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 pm

I put anything that absolutely cannot get wet in a screw tight Tupaware container, I had to find out the hard way if theres water inside the hull for any reason a dry bag may not be all that " Dry" . Dead phone was the price of finding that out :swear:

spraty
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: whos ya daddy

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

In a dry bag, placed in the hull. Haven't turtled yet :sweat: in order to see if it's as dry as the name states :lol:

• Information