butt-less

Section for the discussion of fishing in the water, be it scuba or free-diving
fatbob
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF 400

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:33 am

Hi guys,

I think I'm in for a second gun and had my eye on either a Cressi Mohawk or a Rob Allen Railgun (either in 110). So I made my research and think the RA would be the way to go, but what I don't know: Is loading a gun with no butt tougher? Do I need to wedge it in my gut? My current gun is an Omer Excalibur 90 (never missed a beat). So here's another question: Should I go for the Sparid or the Caranx? I'm rather on the small side but confident enough to load 20mm. Just don't know if a factory set Caranx is overkill for Wellington waters? :?:

K

Kiwi K
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Old Town Predator 13

Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:55 pm

fatbob wrote:Hi guys,

I think I'm in for a second gun and had my eye on either a Cressi Mohawk or a Rob Allen Railgun (either in 110). So I made my research and think the RA would be the way to go, but what I don't know: Is loading a gun with no butt tougher? Do I need to wedge it in my gut? My current gun is an Omer Excalibur 90 (never missed a beat). So here's another question: Should I go for the Sparid or the Caranx? I'm rather on the small side but confident enough to load 20mm. Just don't know if a factory set Caranx is overkill for Wellington waters? :?:

K
A rounded butt end on your gun will cause you more discomfort but not the end of the world..dont load in your gut but always try and load at your chest against the chestpad and use the one hand push and the other hand pull method. I use double 16mm rubbers on my gun but quiet honestly its more than required kinetic energy...unless open water hunting.

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3

fatbob

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Cool thanks – I've asked the same question in the other forum and all recommended the Caranx, so it was an easy choice (somehow I thought this would be it anyway)

K

Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:09 pm

So far the 1000 $0 Pelaj Venom Railgun has done me OK, which is butless. Have just trying a !8mm rubber to give it a bit more punch. The 16mm wasn't punching through the Big Kingies, so lost all but one. Have kept the 16mm as a second rubber, but if the 18mm goes well I'll replace the 16mm with another 18mm. Tried a 20mm, but just couldn't pull it up :$ :lol: Still lots ta learn. More target practice for one, and quicker, more efficient reloading. Nothing more frustrating than a nice Kingie going past as ya trying ta reload :doh:
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

fatbob

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:41 pm

Chur, I had a lot of discussion around this recently (with my old man, he's done his share of spearfishing in the past). I just ordered 18mm rubbers for my 90 gun, and it should last for this summer.
Now what I'm really getting into is this fella: Sporasub One Air. It will be released in 2-3month and be on sale in May. Comes with a bit of a pricetag, but I'm really, really curious what these proper (non-toyish) pneumatic guns can deliver. Youtube Omer Airbalete and you'll get the picture. Can't wait and if I can convince my partner she may have it in her suitcase when returning form her Eurotrip (not high hopes though)

K
Attachments
4222_one_air.jpg
4222_one_air.jpg (11.43 KiB) Viewed 1914 times

• Information