Kayak Fishfinder - GPS - Sounder Recommendations

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Gavmania
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:42 am

Title says it all

All opinions welcome please - looking to navigate the murky world of marine electronics - fishing out of kayak and maybe small boat once I have sorted the rapidly growing Kayak addiction.

What are people using and what have they used in the past?

I like the lowrance range for price and my uneducated belief they are a low power consumption Sounder - giving you long battery life on the water - As yet I have not owned one so that is purely secondhand opinion....lol

I have used a second hand eagle sounder (black& white) in my dinghy - before it started changing depths and settings randomly (so stopped using it - any suggestions for repair would be welcome).

Cheers in advance -

Note I Did search for fishfinder recommendations but found it hard to find anything so if you guys just post links to previous threads that would be great.

Jordan_jh
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:58 pm

I’m using a humminbird helix. Very happy with it. I’ve 3 lowrance units prior with bad experience of them failing due to water getting in but they were all lower end units

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Question 1: Budget?
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:05 pm

My only advice, is to go as big as you can afford AND can fit (both unit and transducer).

I've had plenty of sounders over the years. 3" to 7" on the kayak, 5" to 9" on a jetski and now a 10" on the boat. In every case, bigger was better.
That said, I found 7" a good size on the kayak, although I'm sure others have gone bigger.
What kayak do you have?
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

gadgetm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8300

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Watching with interest. I was looking at one of these for a reasonably compact option

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/raymarin ... er-package

or one of these

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/marine-g ... transducer

until my old yak walked, taking the electronics budget with it.

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Most fishfinder-GPS units are pretty good these days. What will set one above another is it's durability on a kayak. My Humminbird 597 has come with me from kayak to ski and still going strong. I think the integrated mounts/connectors on the 500/600/700 series is the best produced, but sadly, those models have been superseded. If my unit was to fail tomorrow, I think I would be searching the internet for one of those models despite the technology getting dated. Otherwise, most people seem quite happy with the Humminbird Helix series, but I have no personal experience, so can't comment.

sk8e8

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:20 pm

gadgetm wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:56 pm
Watching with interest. I was looking at one of these for a reasonably compact option

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/raymarin ... er-package

or one of these

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/marine-g ... transducer

until my old yak walked, taking the electronics budget with it.
I'd go the hook2 over the dragonfly personally. Screen resolution is WAY better. Doesn't have chirp so that's the downside.
If you can get a 7 inch version, it'd be even better :)

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

gadgetm

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:29 pm

sk8e8 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:20 pm
I'd go the hook2 over the dragonfly personally. Screen resolution is WAY better. Doesn't have chirp so that's the downside.
If you can get a 7 inch version, it'd be even better :)
Agreed. The Dragonfly 5 has the same resolution as the Hook2, but at almost twice the price for fancier GPS display. For me it will be mainly close to shore stuff and basic GPS function is fine. Being a bit of a weedy character on a small yak I want small and light and within easy reach.

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:41 pm

I see Raymarine comes with a marine chart, does Lowrance do the same ?
My Lowrance did not have one when I bought my yak second hand, to me, very frustrating as I was fishing randomly not knowing the reefs / drop offs
Navionics + changed that

gadgetm

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:23 pm

SitDown wrote:
My Lowrance did not have one when I bought my yak second hand, to me, very frustrating as I was fishing randomly not knowing the reefs / drop offs
Navionics + changed that
I believe that with the Lowrance anything ending in X has no or very limited GPS, so you cannot load charts.

Gavmania

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:45 pm
Question 1: Budget?
weeeeeellll..... I'm willing to look at anything from the $180 (lowrance HOOK2 (sold out on marine deals) up to maybe $500 -

...but If you guys suggest that anything less than that is going to be worth it I'll hold on and up the budget ($600-700?) - fishing without one at the moment so using the lack of Fishfinder to work on looking at the way the water is sitting, going over charts, observing currents and fishing the same areas at high and low tides to find where the weed lines are etc etc.

My highest limit would be probably more to do with the size - I have no plans to buy a large boat so the massive screen $1000+ ones are not really what I'm looking for - ideally a mid size with GPS thats easy to log my spots and clear understandable screen to see structure.

I dont completely get the thermocline stuff but happy to learn on the way -

the chirp...splitshot...downvision...downscan all chinese to me at present.

sorry If a bit wordy but thought the more info the better.

Gavmania

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:27 pm

sk8e8 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:05 pm
My only advice, is to go as big as you can afford AND can fit (both unit and transducer).

I've had plenty of sounders over the years. 3" to 7" on the kayak, 5" to 9" on a jetski and now a 10" on the boat. In every case, bigger was better.
That said, I found 7" a good size on the kayak, although I'm sure others have gone bigger.
What kayak do you have?

Fishing out of my Cousins Aquatix Tandem Cobra.

He has lent it to me to see if I like this kayak fishing thing (was fishing out a 10ft Parker with a 2hp - and not doing very well) - I have been out about 8-9 times now and the last 3 were either dawn or dusk and I've gotten back with a feed of 2-3 snaps and a Kawahai last 2 times - and loving it (i threw back a 400mm john dory because I couldn't remember what it was...doh)

Thinking to try some other Kayaks to see if I prefer them more to the stability of the tandem.

One of the fellow members has kindly offered to get me out on his Phoneix Hornet which is 1 I was looking at - may try out the reef Kayaks by Charlie as well.

Gavmania

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Jordan_jh wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:58 pm
I’m using a humminbird helix. Very happy with it. I’ve 3 lowrance units prior with bad experience of them failing due to water getting in but they were all lower end units

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers - that's exactly the info I'm looking for re peoples experiences.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Your $500 would get you a Garmin Striker 5 , basic GPS ( not charts) chirp and down vision.
I had one on my previous kayak and think the picture and the overall quality is superior to the Hook2 unit I have now.
You'll still need a battery and charger plus a few miscellaneous bits a pieces for mounting .

Glass is Class.. dedant

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 pm

gadgetm wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:23 pm
SitDown wrote:
Navionics + changed that
I believe that with the Lowrance anything ending in X has no or very limited GPS, so you cannot load charts.
gps looks fine as with any unit or brand
probably need to investigate if the lowrance you are looking at comes with a basic pre loaded nz chart, it should do, being an up to date release

WEE WILLY
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Frenzy-4.1 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 5277

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Humminbird Wide 100 :y:
Humminbird 525 :y: :y:
Humminbird 597 :y: :y: :y:
Humminbird Helix5 SI :inlove:
None have failed, just kept upgrading.
<*))))><
<*))))><....<*))))><....
<*))))><....<*))))><....<*))))><....<*))))><....
<*))))><.... <*))))><....
<*))))><....

Gavmania

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:46 pm

WEE WILLY wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:54 pm
Humminbird Wide 100 :y:
Humminbird 525 :y: :y:
Humminbird 597 :y: :y: :y:
Humminbird Helix5 SI :inlove:
None have failed, just kept upgrading.
Cheers Willy good info to know.

Gavmania

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:47 pm

dedant wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:31 pm
Your $500 would get you a Garmin Striker 5 , basic GPS ( not charts) chirp and down vision.
I had one on my previous kayak and think the picture and the overall quality is superior to the Hook2 unit I have now.
You'll still need a battery and charger plus a few miscellaneous bits a pieces for mounting .
Thanks I'll add it into the mix - but based on that I'll prob wait and save some more$ really want the ability to mark spots.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:16 am

Striker plus has quickdraw contour mapping. Makes your own chart . All too techo for my low brow knuckle dragging intellect.

Glass is Class.. dedant

sk8e8

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:07 pm

dedant wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:16 am
Striker plus has quickdraw contour mapping. Makes your own chart . All too techo for my low brow knuckle dragging intellect.
Quickdraw is amazing! Onto my 3rd unit with it, and I wouldn't go back to a unit without it.

Extreme 605

• Information