Faulty FF, or just me?

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
TBreezy

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Hey guys. Can anyone confirm that this is a faulty unit? It's chopping and changing between depths and lagging on screen. Won't show a depth reading.

It's 3 months old and I have used it maybe 4 times. It was working great to begin with. In the last month I haven't used it at all but noticed this on Tuesday. Thought it was a flat battery, but running another test tonight yields the same result.

Lowrance Hook 3x. I did the transducer mounting with silicone. Have pulled it out and there's nothing weird about the mount.

I have googled but there's not a hell of a lot of info to find on this model and can't even find instructions for a hard/soft reset. I did discover a lot of people have problems with Lowrance units though.

Perhaps it's due to the fact that it is a cheap unit, which sucks because for some of us, that's our only price range.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with other units? Or issues with this particular unit?

Thanks guys.
ff.JPG

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:36 am

Try holding the + and - keys while powering up, then release after a couple of seconds, may have to try different timings , eg instant, 1s, 2s etc
Wild guess based on my Lowrance.

Can you try it on someone elses rig?
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

TBreezy

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:04 am

Cool, will do. Thanks.

I don’t know anyone else with a transducer that I could try it out on unfortunately.

I have emailed the place I bought it from so I guess I’ll wait to see what they say.

Looks like I’ll be fishing old school this weekend!

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:18 am

At least you've still got the warranty to fall back on. :y:
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:53 am

Drop Pointloader here on the Forum a message as he might be able to offer some suggestions
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

woodstock
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:07 am

Check if transducer making ticking sound if not could be faulty.If ticking I would try going out for paddle to about 10 meters and put transducer in water to see if will works (you could have air bubbles in silicone)
If still not working return it and buy a new hook2 4 due in stores December

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

TBreezy

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 pm

woodstock wrote:
Check if transducer making ticking sound if not could be faulty.If ticking I would try going out for paddle to about 10 meters and put transducer in water to see if will works (you could have air bubbles in silicone)

No ticking. I reckon it's faulty. I have ripped everything out and put it back in the box to send it back. Didn't see any air bubbles in the silicone so glad I didn't f*#k that up!

You reckon those new ones are better?

woodstock
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:00 pm

TBreezy wrote:
woodstock wrote:

No ticking. I reckon it's faulty. I have ripped everything out and put it back in the box to send it back. Didn't see any air bubbles in the silicone so glad I didn't f*#k that up!

You reckon those new ones are better?
Yes hook2 4x better unit or go with garmin striker 4

TBreezy

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks guys.

• Information