Arkles Bay

Go on then, tell us your stories...
TBreezy

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Hey everyone. Figured I'd say hello via a Trip report. Have been lurking a wee while and there's some solid info and advice on here for a newbie, so hello and thanks everyone for sharing.

One thing I didn't count on after acquiring a kayak was how much I would pay attention to the wind. It's becoming a real habit and I'm sure some of you here have developed a sixth sense. I'm picking you've noticed that the wind has been a bit shit for a minute or two these last weeks and after a couple of below average land-based missions I was itching to get back on the water.

I managed to spot the window yesterday and made plans to head out from Arkles Bay to keep out of the NW wind. Drove up from Auckland past a ton of commuters feeling 1 part guilty to 10 parts awesome and hit the water about 7:00AM. Glass flat and warm.

I paddled out to the drop-off between Arkles and Little Manly (I’m sure some of you here know it) and had a little flick with the soft baits but not much going on, so made the decision to have a looksie around one of the small banks out a bit wider. Wasn’t much to see on the sounder but out of nowhere a pretty mellow sort of Kahawai work-up just appeared about 10 metres ahead of me. So of course I flicked a bait right into the middle and hooked up instantly to a nice Kahawai. It was really odd, there was nothing around for miles and they decided to appear right there in front of me, like a gift from the sea-gods. It gave a good solid fight too, I love those fish. Never a dull moment and always welcome at my table, so into the bin she went.

I messed around there for a bit with no takers so made my way back in toward Arkles to see if there was anything hanging around the drop again as the tide had started to move a bit more. Set up for the drift and BAM, a nice Snapper around 460mm on the first pass. Happy with that. Made a half a dozen more drifts through the same patch and managed to score a few single-serve Snapper and a massive Octopus! Had I any idea how to dispatch an Octopus, I would have gladly taken it home for the table but this one was sent home. Maybe someone here knows the best way to take care of an Octopus?

All in all, I’m glad I made the call and hit the small window in what looks like some pretty average weather for the next little bit. It’s nice to have some fresh fish to share with friends and family.

I haven’t been kayak fishing for very long, but am thoroughly enjoying the opportunities it has opened up. Previously I had been land based (and still do sometimes) but the accessibility and convenience of launching etc is so rad. I usually mess around Whangaparaoa or down Whangamata way and have had success on most trips, but am still learning so much about fishing from a vessel.

One thing in particular that I would be interested in hearing from people is how you use your sounders. How much sign is enough for you to stop and have a go at it? And when you do stop, do you cast ahead, drop the lure/bait straight down, or circle back around and drift back over the sign? I’ve only had the sounder going for my last 2 trips and for the fish I caught there wasn’t anything on the screen! What gives?

Thanks for reading, happy fishing.

IMG_0570.JPG

Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:38 am

Good to see some others posting, Great report and good snapper !
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.4kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
35cm Trevally - Te Awanga
Est 30kg Thresher Shark Released - Urenui

Sradich
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:26 am

Awesome effort just shows pays off to try a range of spots and techniques. Re sounder for me it's not about the amount more where it is and the colour so and red or yellow will target and near bottom as like gurnard and snapper :)
Cheers
Steve from Palmy

Stinky inky
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3

Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Nice TR and a solid result, sometimes when the baitfish are being chased they head for objects like logs, weeds or kayaks. Had it happen to me a few times so perhaps whatever the ky were feeding on found you attractive, hence them popping up where you were? Mainly used my FF to find structure rather than fish, caught a lot of structure too :headbang: .
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
Babylonian proverb
So fish more you will live longer....

Ocean kayak 4.3 GREEN

Cobra FnD

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Nice TR mate.

Give it time, soon that 1 part guilty will turn into an extra 10 parts awesome :)
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Good going mate :y:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

TBreezy

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone and for the advice.

Sradich - I'll keep that in mind.
Stinky Inky - that makes sense! I have caught plenty of structure too :D I use a chart app on my phone to find bits of structure here and there also, that comes in quite handy, especially when re-drifting the same area.
Father of Many - I'm sure it will!

On another note, if there's anyone in the Auckland area that would be happy for a new face to tag along on a trip, I'm dead keen. Happy to travel!

Thanks y'all.

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:46 pm

TB - nice TR! That is one fat kahawai, it's almost snapper shaped!

Wind watching does become a bit of an obsession. As for fish finders, it all depends. If I'm struggling, I'll stop and fish any sign that I can convince myself might be a snapper. Other times, I'll wait for big balls of bait and snapper(?) stacked up underneath or beside them. There are no hard a fast rules. Sometimes I fail to get a bite when there is a school of fish so large it fills the whole screen, sometimes I pick up a fish (often a large one) when there is nothing on the screen at all. Remember the fish finder "sees" a cone of water under the transducer, if the fish is outside of the cone, it won't be detected. I've noticed people soft baiting will often park up over sign and then cast away from it :headbang: For this reason, vertical fishing methods (i.e. slow jigging) can really score when using a fish finder.

TBreezy

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:43 am

Cheers Andrew that's great advice

Windcaller
Kayak Model: Profish

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi Tbreezy and all.
Got this bag of tasty trevs in exactly the same weather window from a local Hibiscus Coast spot in a couple of hours. All took small cut baits on a light strayline as softies were generally ignored on the day. Always pays to take an anchor and some smelly stuff in winter aye!
Regarding fish finders, I find the GPS facilty on my combo unit to be as useful as the sonar which as correctly stated gives a snapshot view of below the boat. The trails on the GPS allow very precise navigation particularly to areas that produced takes or showed sign on the previous drift. Likewise, marking sign or structure with a waypoint enables me to go back to that exact point either on the day or in future trips. This is really useful for marking where baitfish hang out and random areas of structure or foul like the one that attracts those trevally in the pic!
Hope this helps, keep on paddlin'.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg

eynon
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:03 pm

awesome :clap:
ZMU8769 - OK Prowler 4.7

TBreezy

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:32 am

Hey, thanks Windcaller, yeah that's helpful. Great haul too mate!

Telecaster
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:04 pm

YUM I haven't caught a trev for ages. Let me know if you want company next time you are chasing trevally! I am on the coast too.

Windcaller
Kayak Model: Profish

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:15 pm

Sure thing Telecaster, it will be good to get to know another Coastie kayaker.
Trevs can turn up anywhere but I have a few spots at my local Hatfields Beach that are more consistent than others due to the ideal habitat and gave up those in the pic. An incoming tide is best with a following wind but fortunately I can see my possies from my house so can check conditions accurately. Spring and Autumn are the best times and bait is usually the go to method, though some days they will snaffle softies with abandon. In my opinion they are quite simply the best fish to put in a curry, bar none! :P

Smeg
Kayak Model: Prowler Trident 4.3

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:32 am

Here ya go mate! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhCWrJzgb8Q Happy hunting!
PB# 57cm Snapper
PB# 54cm Trevally
PB# 59cm Kahawai
PB# 51cm John Dory

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler

TBreezy

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Smeg wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:32 am
Here ya go mate! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhCWrJzgb8Q Happy hunting!
That's one way to do it :D

• Information