Reload side scan - sounders install tips and ideas

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
phishpula
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish
VHF Call Sign: Phishpula

Sun May 28, 2017 8:49 am

Looking at getting a side scan setup on my Viking Reload. My understanding is the Hummingbird helix can work with protrusion from the bottom as per hainsey setup. How are others doing this as there must be a few more guys with this setup now? What problems are people having with these on Kayaks. Lowrance Ti looks good but wont fit :(
Snap 84 Trev 75cm Kingie 98cm gurnard 58cm
Previous rides: mission flow, Profish 440 & 400, stealth evo 495 reload. Red orange reload blue black reload. 2x yellow black reload

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon May 29, 2017 4:13 pm

Limitless posted these up on Instagram today >

Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon May 29, 2017 5:01 pm

You'd have to be careful ...
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Mon May 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Having side scan on kayaks is about juggling compromises (as with most other accessories). For best performance the transducer needs to be deeply submerged (in kayak terms) to "see" below wavelets and associated small bubbles that create surface clutter, this ultimately limiting side imaging performance near the horizontal plane (remember, even a small runabout with transom mounted SI transducer will position it deeper than a kayak keel, and bigger boats even more so). Likewise the transducer cannot be fully recessed into a protective socket/scupper as this limits sideways "vision" angles.

A solution could be to create a new hull with a suitably broad recess sideways from the transducer socket. While this would allow the transducer to recess more deeply into the socket for protection it adds considerable drag due to the turbulence created. In addition it will also position the transducer closer to the surface and all the associated signal clutter issues. The cross-axis recess also creates other problems on and off the water that would tend to accelerate wear, especially in surf or hard landing situations, and on roof racks.

The experimental path I'm exploring is to fit a Lowrance TotalScan transducer to one Reload Tackle Pod (just completed) and a Humminbird Helix Gen 2 to another (as soon as I've saved enough funds). I'm spending personal money on this project (not Vikings, and I'm not sponsored) so I'm not beholding to anyone. This means I can do what I like with the setups looking for best results, and there won't be any conflicts when reporting the results.

Using my old Humminbird 798 and compact SI transducer has given excellent performance on fresh water, especially in glassy conditions. This shows SI can work, but since this instrument has been well superseded I'm looking to update so all the information gained is current. Being picky, and because I demand high performance from my sounders, I find that SI transducers mounted level with the kayak keel can quickly have surface clutter issues once breezes more than ruffle the surface.

Aside from the length of the Lowrance TotalScan transducer ensuring it won't fit the Reload Tackle Pod socket (it must be installed below the keel), I believe the deeper position will improve side imaging performance and limit surface clutter(again think how deep a boats transom sinks when it comes off the plane). To avoid grounding on the transducer during launch or retrieve the Tackle Pod can be lifted into the cockpit.

I also have plans for additional testing: I will be adding a protective keel strip to my old Reload forward of the transducer socket. The oval front hatch provides perfect internal access for fastening and this could be a way of adding bump protection. I need to explore the effects on kayak handling (especially manoeuvrability and bow-steer habits) and durability before making any recommendations.

Long story short: testing has begun :geek:
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

MikeAqua

Tue May 30, 2017 8:45 am

What about a system that allows the transducer to be raised or lowered?

Then it could be tucked up out of the way for launching and landings and lowered when in deeper water.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

Limitless

Tue May 30, 2017 10:22 am

MikeAqua wrote:What about a system that allows the transducer to be raised or lowered?

Then it could be tucked up out of the way for launching and landings and lowered when in deeper water.
That's part of our development program for future kayaks. Unfortunately the amount of re-tooling needed to try and introduce such a feature on current models is too expensive. It would require changes to both kayak mould halves, and to the associated Tackle Pod moulds as well.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage

MikeAqua

Tue May 30, 2017 11:37 am

Limitless wrote:
MikeAqua wrote:What about a system that allows the transducer to be raised or lowered?

That's part of our development program for future kayaks. Unfortunately the amount of re-tooling needed to try and introduce such a feature on current models is too expensive. It would require changes to both kayak mould halves, and to the associated Tackle Pod moulds as well.
I an imagine. I remember what mussel float tooling used to cost :o and they are simple.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue May 30, 2017 11:45 am

Limitless wrote:

I'd say you have a pretty good solution there already, correct me if I'm wrong but with the Tackle Pod can't you pop/prop it up while you launch then drop it in proper once you are off the beach, then do the same when coming back in..?

Having the clear sides like there was on the Prowlers allowed for the side scan but the transducers still took a beating when launching, landing, and even loading on the car sometimes :$
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Tue May 30, 2017 3:02 pm

maybe something like a trailer jockey wheel lifter but not as heavy duty. wind it up when not in use and wind it down when out a bit. only need to drop it about 100 or 200mm. have the top of the pole level with the top of the pod and the winder folds down inside. alternately a telescopic rod of some sort
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

MikeAqua

Tue May 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Spring to hold the transducer in against the hull and an air bag with a hand pump to push it out.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

Limitless

Tue May 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Mental wrote:...
I'd say you have a pretty good solution there already, correct me if I'm wrong but with the Tackle Pod can't you pop/prop it up while you launch then drop it in proper once you are off the beach, then do the same when coming back in..? ...
That's exactly how I'm using it on this new setup: have the Tackle Pod tipped up with the transducer resting on the sloping front hatch (rubber cusion ;) ), and an easy drop-in once the water is deep enough. I'll give everyone some feedback once I've done a few trips using a variety of launch conditions.

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue May 30, 2017 7:17 pm

After doing my install of the Humminbird Helix 7 SI a little while back I'm definitely interested in seeing how I could improve my setup !

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22089&hilit=Humminbird" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

TouringNevada
Kayak Make: Sportsmaster
Kayak Model: 3.7
VHF Call Sign: N/A

Tue May 30, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi any one tried the railblaza transducer mount for elite 7 Ti transducer on the side. I think i saw someone with that setup from side holder.
Keen to try that but dont know if it will work well or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limitless

Wed May 31, 2017 7:32 am

TouringNevada wrote:Hi any one tried the railblaza transducer mount for elite 7 Ti transducer on the side. I think i saw someone with that setup from side holder.
Keen to try that but dont know if it will work well or not
I've done a mock up here at the Viking Factory and it certainly looks as though it will work, I haven't yet had an opportunity to do a field test though. The primary disadvantage is the extra drag created by the arm over the side of the kayak. The primary advantage is the Railblaza system makes it easy to position the transducer deep enough for optimal performance while being able to remove it to protect from grounding. This is the option I will be going to if I find for some reason mounting the TotalScan transducer below the Reload Tackle Pod proves impractical.

phishpula
Kayak Model: Profish
VHF Call Sign: Phishpula

Wed May 31, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks to all for this info.

There will be some further testing in the name of science...watch this space :)
Snap 84 Trev 75cm Kingie 98cm gurnard 58cm
Previous rides: mission flow, Profish 440 & 400, stealth evo 495 reload. Red orange reload blue black reload. 2x yellow black reload

• Information