Dodgy inline fuse holder

Discuss anything electronic or electrical, lights, sounders, GPS etc..
AndrewRawlingson

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Have had a few troubles with my FF lately. It would switch off/factory reset every time I hit a wave. To cut a long story short, I replaced all the connections twice, did some soldering and applied liquid tape only to find out that it was the bloody inline fuse holder. It was the standard push-in type that you can buy in Burnsco etc. My temporary fix has been to remove it altogether, I think the FF was at more risk of damage with it than without it. Will replace when I can find something more robust.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:02 pm

I had similar issues, came down to a thin film of oxide on the contacts. Now I goob the things up with silicone on installation, and if it ever blows, I'll just cut it out and resolder a new, permanently siliconed holder in.

I too ran without a fuse for an embarrassingly long time - until I came across some horror stories (cooking the FF was the least of their problems)
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:37 am

I use mini blade fuses and solder them directly onto the wire. Followed by two layers of heat shrink with liquid electrical tape in between. I leave the little window on the fuse's top surface exposed so I can see if it's blown.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

vr4king

Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:36 pm

I had a problem with mine not turning on and tacked it down to a massive voltage drop across said fuse...Removed fuse its all good now..

• Information