WKFC - Orere Point 26 November

The Waikato Kayak Fishing Club forum for club and member discussions
Smitty
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi Guys

Just a reminder for the next club event planned for Orere Point - 26 November 2016.  

As far as a plan goes, I was thinking being on the water around 7am which should hopefully work in well with high tide around 6am.  Will use channel 8 on the VHF.  If anyone is keen we could stop for a beer on the way back through Kaiaua, or gather back at the beach after fishing, will see what the weather is doing and who is keen. I will update with weather next week.

Cheers
Jason

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:18 pm

Just south side of Orere point around the corner, there has been a massive slip come down, its part of the horse stud and its a mess in there, not sure if its had anything to do with the fishing but its been very poor in that area.... I spent three hours in there last week, not even a bite, nothing at all, headed way out over the sand and picked up some nice gurnard , the snapper are pretty average TBH...
Will be in Fiji otherwise would have been keen to come out...
Cheers AW

Smitty

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up AW, that doesn't sound good at all!

Waikato Kayak Fishing Club - guys - let me know what you think, AW knows this area really well so I'm inclined to take on his advice. Options are we keep with Orere as fishing could change between now and the 26th, or try another spot - maybe Kaiaua which is close to Orere but has the mussell farms, or the other side - Wilsons Bay?

Let me know your preference and we will go with what is preferred.

Cheers

Fishless
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Fishless

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:40 pm

Was in there last week (Thursday), as said fishing was below average, and stopped completely at about 10am.

Always regret putting those mid 30's back in the expectation of something bigger ;)

Nice day out on the water though.

Think i'd be tempted to drive that little bit further and do east/west Coro, but happy to get the paddle wet anywhere at this stage and expect the urge to grow even more with the poor wind conditions this week.
Personal Bests

Snapper - 64 cm
Kingfish - 110cm 17kg
Kahawai - 57 cm

enmei
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:59 pm

I will be keen to join up with you guys, whoever is heading out, I am still fairly new to kayak fishing and would love to the chance to learn a few things and take home a nice feed :) Flounder/Craig was telling me the club had a day trip planned next Saturday when I was talking to him in the weekend as he was giving me some tips.
Profish Reload
Profish 440 evoIV

Waikatoguy

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Smitty wrote:Hi Guys

Just a reminder for the next club event planned for Orere Point - 26 November 2016.  

As far as a plan goes, I was thinking being on the water around 7am which should hopefully work in well with high tide around 6am.  Will use channel 8 on the VHF.  If anyone is keen we could stop for a beer on the way back through Kaiaua, or gather back at the beach after fishing, will see what the weather is doing and who is keen. I will update with weather next week.

Cheers
Jason
Ild be keen to try wilsons bay as it seems to be good fishing on that side and it's a nice day trip.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Smitty

Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:29 am

enmei wrote:I will be keen to join up with you guys, whoever is heading out, I am still fairly new to kayak fishing and would love to the chance to learn a few things and take home a nice feed :) Flounder/Craig was telling me the club had a day trip planned next Saturday when I was talking to him in the weekend as he was giving me some tips.
Always good to have new guys join in the fun.

Will wait for any more feedback in the enxt couple of days and make a call.

Smitty

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:04 pm

Hey, guys, lets go with Wilsons Bay. A little bit further to fish Coro would also be good but I don't want to put anyone off the club outing if they would rather have a closer to home event.

High tide is 5.41am, low tide 11.46am.

Will see what the weather does this week, I think I will aim to leave Hamilton around 5am which will get me on the water around 7am - will use channel 8 if anyone arrives earlier or later.

I'll update post end of the week with weather/tsunami outlook!

Fishless

Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Will see you on the water ;)
Personal Bests

Snapper - 64 cm
Kingfish - 110cm 17kg
Kahawai - 57 cm

enmei

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:05 pm

I plan to be there also, once I find out where Wilsons Bay is :) I'll be leaving from Te Awamutu.

I just bought a new rod/reel today and finally got myself a VHF.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Profish Reload
Profish 440 evoIV

Waikatoguy

Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:51 pm

Will you on the water to.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Smitty

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:46 pm

enmei wrote:I plan to be there also, once I find out where Wilsons Bay is :) I'll be leaving from Te Awamutu.

I just bought a new rod/reel today and finally got myself a VHF.

Hi Enmei. Hopefully you have location sorted? You can google Wilsons Bay Thames and it will give you the location, its jusy before the road starts heading up the hill over to Te Kouma. As per photo below, there is a track down to the water and at high tide it will be an easy launch and current will drift you northwards. Parking is on the side of the road. Coming back in at low tide will be a bit more tricky with rocks but manageable, or if you come in with someone else you can help each other. More than happy if you want to buddy up with me or if you see any of the other guys when you get there they will be more than happy to pair up which would be good if your relatively new to the sport, or call us up on channel 8. I am driving a black Honda CRV towing a boxed kayak trailer. Ph 027 687 8802.

At this stage weather is looking okay but will update later in the week.

Any question just let us know.

Cheers
Jason
Attachments
Wilsons bay.PNG
Wilsons bay.PNG (585.49 KiB) Viewed 1700 times

enmei

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:27 pm

Cheers Jason. I did do a Google search to see where it is and I know spot, driven past plenty of times. And from I can see I take it people park down by the water?

Profish Reload
Profish 440 evoIV

Fishless

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Nah, park roadside, though if there are few going it maybe a little tight.
Personal Bests

Snapper - 64 cm
Kingfish - 110cm 17kg
Kahawai - 57 cm

Smitty

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:12 am

Apart from a possible shower, forecast looking good. 5-6 knots first thing building to possible 12 knots late morning and a bit more breezy in the afternoon, so morning fish is the go.

From those I have heard there will be 5 of us, Fishless, Waikatoguy, Enmei, myself and Phil, see you guys there.

Cheers
Jason

enmei

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Smitty wrote:Apart from a possible shower, forecast looking good. 5-6 knots first thing building to possible 12 knots late morning and a bit more breezy in the afternoon, so morning fish is the go.

From those I have heard there will be 5 of us, Fishless, Waikatoguy, Enmei, myself and Phil, see you guys there.

Cheers
Jason
Flounder is also coming along, he's only 5 minutes from me and hes offered to take myself and my kayak in his vehicle. I'm going through my stuff wondering if there is anything else I need. :)
Profish Reload
Profish 440 evoIV

Fishwife

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:45 pm

Will always be something else you need.

I'll be there too :)

• Information