SIK Torres

Discussion here that is specific to SiKs and catching/processing fish without (hopefully) joining them...
Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi all, Been offered a price on a trademe listing for $2050, looks in good nick from pictures but says the following...

QK Torres Sea kayak. VG condition. Kevlar construction. Great expedition boat (I've crossed Cook Strait in it). Comes with Sealine inflatable seat, spray deck and travel cockpit cover. Just haven't got time to use it. Stored inside, small ingress of water in aft compartment (minimal) that I haven't yet traced. Minor scratches on gel coat of hull - but this is a well looked after kayak. Fast, stable and comfortable.

Does this sound like a good price? and would it be a major to fix the small leak?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =710159455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:31 pm

PS should be along shortly to answer your questions :y:...

YakSolo_333
Kayak Make: Mirage
Kayak Model: 580
VHF Call Sign: ZMF3333

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:08 am

Looks like a reasonable price and fixing a leak should not be a problem, go for it before ps Bird you out

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Enjoy every craft that can float, don't have one, have them all

Paddling Perfection BreakSea (Demo) /Prowler 4.7 (x2)/Wahoo fishing Ski/Mirage 580 Expedition/Preception Streamline/Perception Swing /Cobra triple[/center]

https://www.facebook.com/YakSolo
https://www.facebook.com/oceankayakers
https://www.oceankayakers.com

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:13 am

Should be easy to find the leak too. Just flood the compartment and see where it comes out.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:31 pm

8) Yeah Douugie , nice Kayak ,was tempted but let it pass .

Mine had slight leak in the rudder recess where it folds up and because of the tight compound curves etc, sometimes the glass layup resin gets bubbles in those spots and after a few years and pressure of waves , dings from rudder etc some seepage.
Ohh yeah check the rudder quadrant for damage the pintle may have suffered and allowed the rudder to hit the recess which it should'nt , and they can flog out if used roughly of bashed about (Bit of a major :?: )

I just found it was minimal after tracing it and applied windscreen sealant silicone to picked out gelcoat in leak area from outside but serious stuff needs internal patch to beef up and reassurance.
Hatch covers can and do leak so the "Fill her up " with some water supported properly(to spread load) rotate slowly and check everything-
Some of the later ones were laid up by a different crew and may vary in quality (goes for everything) and the later plastic hatch covers not as good as the earlier Kajaksport rubber ones .

Also because of hull length sometimes the ends are difficult to get seam joints A1 so check them also (had this on my ones bow after some Big wave surfing stress)
Check the planing chine edges they are often chipped and same gelcoat can have small air bubbles on sharp edges and you gradually find them over time and use , then put gelcoat repair in before the hull gets worse .
Hardly a concern for a kayak spending minimal time in the water-more aesthetic and such.
Check the area underneath the bulkheads as if using a trolley in the wrong place the hull flexes and can stress crack there, I spread the load on these areas with more flange layup and they are aware of this as I see the new composite SKua has a curved bulkhead herringbone style to spread the load over more hull lengthwise :!:

Easily repaired by someone with a few fibreglassing skills .

To be honest I was offered a similar tidy one , no leaks for $1800 but you still need to customise seat etc and could'nt be bothered at the moment , and the work takes a fair bit .

Plus mine is going real well and how I want it.

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback all :beer: sounds like a few things to be aware of and Definitely sounds like I would have to get a professionals advice on it, and have a quote on any repairs to be made.

Will continue to keep an eye out, one thing I need to do is trial some boats in plastic and composite over 5 metres in length, and go from there.

In the mean time will continue fitting out the shearwater for fishing and get used to the whole sea kayak fishing gig which I have to say I am enjoying alot more as far as the paddling goes :rock:

Cheers,
Douugie

• Information