Help a dunce day -

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
RCB
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish400 Lite

Thu May 09, 2013 10:04 am

So after a productive trip to Orere over the weekend, the trip home proved a bit of a disaster. I loaded my chill pod into the back - I should have paid attention to the slurry levels. While driving back I thought I could hear what sounded like sloshing |( , but I happily ignored thinking rather of all the fun it was catching tea, you can imagine the horror when I opened the back and found the whole the back of the car soaked with a bloody icy mess :( Gear out and towels and shampoo and whatever else I could manage to soak/clean up the mess :headbang: alas, the following morning when I got in the car to go somewhere my worst fears were confirmed :puke: :puke: , off to the local to see what I could find and the best I could manage was a can of some anti-bacterial anti bad pet smell spray and go, the smell now is a mix of heavy chemical and 4 day old fish guts :n:

Any suggestions on products/services I could use now would be most welcome - The wife is not happy.

Now repeat, you will bring your ice box on your next trip a 1000 times! :|

YakSolo_333
Kayak Make: Mirage
Kayak Model: 580
VHF Call Sign: ZMF3333

Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 am

Time for a new car?
Enjoy every craft that can float, don't have one, have them all

Paddling Perfection BreakSea (Demo) /Prowler 4.7 (x2)/Wahoo fishing Ski/Mirage 580 Expedition/Preception Streamline/Perception Swing /Cobra triple[/center]

https://www.facebook.com/YakSolo
https://www.facebook.com/oceankayakers
https://www.oceankayakers.com

Hawk
Kayak Make: Pinnacle
Kayak Model: Elite
VHF Call Sign: Hawk ZMU3995

Thu May 09, 2013 10:26 am

Had a similar thing happen a couple of months ago.... but with some remaining berley juice (stinky much!). Fortunately it was just on the carpet liner in the boot, so was easily removable.

I first used the waterblaster to clean off the bulk of the smelly bits then let it dry. I then I used a Prestone product that had an odor neutraliser in it from Repco. This was quite a long process over a few weeks, as you spray it, rub it in, then leave it for a couple of days, and repeat the process until the smell has subsided. Good dose of Hawkes Bay sun certainly seemed to help too.

This is the one I used:
http://www.prestone.com/enca/node/386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can you remove EVERYTHING from the boot? Spare tyre, carpet etc? Then you should be able to give it a good clean inside, then attack the carpet separately over a longer period.

RCB

Thu May 09, 2013 10:27 am

YakSolo_333 wrote:Time for a new car?
I wish. But I doubt I could sell this one in it's current state ;)

RCB

Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 am

Hawk wrote:Had a similar thing happen a couple of months ago.... but with some remaining berley juice (stinky much!). Fortunately it was just on the carpet liner in the boot, so was easily removable.

I first used the waterblaster to clean off the bulk of the smelly bits then let it dry. I then I used a Prestone product that had an odor neutraliser in it from Repco. This was quite a long process over a few weeks, as you spray it, rub it in, then leave it for a couple of days, and repeat the process until the smell has subsided. Good dose of Hawkes Bay sun certainly seemed to help too.

This is the one I used:
http://www.prestone.com/enca/node/386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can you remove EVERYTHING from the boot? Spare tyre, carpet etc? Then you should be able to give it a good clean inside, then attack the carpet separately over a longer period.
Most things yes but not the carpet, and this poxy weather isn't helping either. Thanks for the info though, I know I am in this for the long haul. There are worse lessons to learn in life.

Jeff666
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Thu May 09, 2013 10:38 am

RCB you need Ozone sure you can buy in slow release cans (like flea bombs). Or if you are technical you can make your own generator.
Old Town Predator 13
On the way The Old Town Predator PDL

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Thu May 09, 2013 10:39 am

Ooh yeah thats bad. I almost did the same thing on my last trip, but thankfully I noticed it was spilling out before I put it in. That said, it was going into my trailer so wouldn't have been QUITE so bad :whew:
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 am

RCB wrote:So after a productive trip to Orere over the weekend,

Missed that TR mate :^)

RCB

Thu May 09, 2013 10:43 am

Jeff666 wrote:RCB you need Ozone sure you can buy in slow release cans (like flea bombs). Or if you are technical you can make your own generator.
Ta, is it something picked up from Bunnings? Google wasn't helpful

Paddletoad
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 am

Waaaay too expensive to buy, they can be rented though.

http://www.odarid.co.nz/ozone-generator-rental.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RCB

Thu May 09, 2013 10:59 am

awondering wrote:
RCB wrote:So after a productive trip to Orere over the weekend,

Missed that TR mate :^)
No photos either :P

Good day out though, not that I have ever had a bad day at Orere. One of my highlights was been out in 13m looking across the Firth and seeing the storms come through, awesome site! Fortunately no lightning either :sweat: wish I had a camera. At one point I was sat in middle of two showers, they couldn't have been more then a couple of clicks apart. The fishing was good, caught loads, kept 7 snapper 1 KY...

Jeff666
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Thu May 09, 2013 11:04 am

Trying to find you a unit from work RCB will pm you if i get one today.
Old Town Predator 13
On the way The Old Town Predator PDL

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Thu May 09, 2013 11:19 am

Take the Carpet out !!!!! Regardless of what you do or spray if there is fluid trapped under the insulation which by the sounds of it there will be, you will not remove the smell. Once the car gets hot inside it will stink something chronic for years to come if its not removed. It will also stay wet in there and cause rust if not all dried out.. It may require you to replace the insulation as well because that crap cant be cleaned properly.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

RCB

Thu May 09, 2013 11:46 am

Jeff666 wrote:Trying to find you a unit from work RCB will pm you if i get one today.
Thank you

RCB

Thu May 09, 2013 11:57 am

MadMike wrote:Take the Carpet out !!!!! Regardless of what you do or spray if there is fluid trapped under the insulation which by the sounds of it there will be, you will not remove the smell. Once the car gets hot inside it will stink something chronic for years to come if its not removed. It will also stay wet in there and cause rust if not all dried out.. It may require you to replace the insulation as well because that crap cant be cleaned properly.
It's a good thing the wife doesn't read this forum. I just have to check the extent of water distribution, hopefully it didn't get into every nook and cranny, the carpet itself has a rubber underside which would have kept most of the awfulness on the surface, no doubt whatever I couldn't get out has soaked into the fibres. My mate now tells me there is a valet type service where they run a UV light over the car, apparently it removes everything from the smell of smoke to the smell of death. I have a few options including Jeff666 kind offer so, hopefully all good.

Peace
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: SOT Fishing Pro
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5048

Thu May 09, 2013 12:57 pm

Get in contact with your insurance company ASAP don't muck around trying different chemicals

Flowrider
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Flowrider

Thu May 09, 2013 3:00 pm

I did the same thing just over a year ago. It took several attempts at cleaning with different products and I never really got the stink out by cleaning, it just took time to gradually get less stinky (or my sense of smell got damaged :lol: ) After about three weeks I discovered a pool of murky smelly liquid in the back door handle molding :puke: :swear: Luckily it is a banger of a car I use mainly just for me not carting the family around or I would have been in big trouble.
I am now careful to keep the liquid level low when travelling with the pod and try not to go too sharply around corners.
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Thu May 09, 2013 3:18 pm

I had a similar issue last year, left the bung open on 4.3 icebox

Took the carpet out and hosed down to remove excess juice and gunk, scrubbed it all down on the driveway with hot soapy water (this will make you want to :puke: ) rinsed again and then washed with 50:50 water and white vinegar, rinsed again and left in the sun for a few days and the smell was gone.

Hope it helps
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

• Information