Police harassment me new to kayaking hauraki gulf

Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
Ryanocean
Kayak Make: Blue
Kayak Model: Solo

Gdday I went out next to coastguard yesterday I had coastguard warn me that its rough than lifeguard said if I went out there I would get stuck in silk up to my knees lies I went out there hardly 1cm depth problem I had was 2 police came and told me I can't go out I was furious told them to bugger they wouldn't and tried to stop me going out it pisses me off how police these days are trying to stop people having fun and then use random checks to pull people over and harass them it needs to stop I don't break the laws I'm a compassionate person love people.where do police have the right to stop kayakers going in the ocean anyone???
Ryanocean
Kayak Make: Blue
Kayak Model: Solo

Also I had done nothing wrong they police wouldn't let me go out caused of weather I went out and went far had wetsuit and lifejacket on even the coastguard welcome me back said u took a bit of. A hard time from police I said i sure did its not on.I also was cleaning the ocean taking plastic of the shoreline I hate people polluting the sea please keep it clean people
HookiT
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Ryanocean wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:14 am Gdday I went out next to coastguard yesterday I had coastguard warn me that its rough than lifeguard said if I went out there I would get stuck in silk up to my knees lies I went out there hardly 1cm depth problem I had was 2 police came and told me I can't go out I was furious told them to bugger they wouldn't and tried to stop me going out it pisses me off how police these days are trying to stop people having fun and then use random checks to pull people over and harass them it needs to stop I don't break the laws I'm a compassionate person love people.where do police have the right to stop kayakers going in the ocean anyone???
From your post, I would a certain that CG and police may of had your welfare top priority. If like in your post, the CG said it was rough, that would of been good enough for me ; Time to head back home. Your say yourself your new to kayaking Hauraki Gulf . Try and go with another person who has some experience. Stay safe.
Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

It is difficult to understand what the conditions were from the way it is written but immediately one asks how much kayaking have you done?

I can say I've had 70 years of ships and boats (dinghies, yachts and kayaks) so I'd expect my comments on conditions would be reasonably accurate. If someone has just started kayaking, knowing what the conditions really are and more importantly, what they will become can be uninformed to put it bluntly.

The comment "hardly 1cm depth problem" isn't English when referring to waves and their size. Much more important is the wind speed and what it will become.

So experience?
SitDown

Couple questions to help me understand what happened to you bro

Where did this happen (location)
What was the seas condition like at this loaction, was it flat calm, bit rough or other. Were there any white caps there as well
What type of kayak were you using

Hope your experience does not put you off kayaking altogether
sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Doesn't sound like harassment to me. If both the CG and police are telling you not to go out, it'll be for your safety as well as theirs.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420
HookiT

Mac50L wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:10 pm It is difficult to understand what the conditions were from the way it is written but immediately one asks how much kayaking have you done?

I can say I've had 70 years of ships and boats (dinghies, yachts and kayaks) so I'd expect my comments on conditions would be reasonably accurate. If someone has just started kayaking, knowing what the conditions really are and more importantly, what they will become can be uninformed to put it bluntly.

The comment "hardly 1cm depth problem" isn't English when referring to waves and their size. Much more important is the wind speed and what it will become.

So experience?
Fark, you must be old,70 yrs of ships boats and dinghies, lol. I'm up there also. Started with my first clinker built dinghy given to me by some clients on my paper round. lol. Sort of got the plan figured myself. Not 'old' just experienced.
Mac50L

HookiT wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:02 pmFark, you must be old,70 yrs of ships boats and dinghies, lol. I'm up there also. Started with my first clinker built dinghy given to me by some clients on my paper round. lol. Sort of got the plan figured myself. Not 'old' just experienced.
Yes. Probably aged 5 years old when I first went to sea dredging the Westport bar. Then a few years later our father built us a 7'6" praam dinghy for use on the Mapua mudflats. I immediately fitted an old curtain for running down wind and then a rig that would allow us to sail to windward, teaching myself how to do it. Racing dinghies, racing and cruising keelers and eventually went down-market to designing and building a number of sea kayaks. Paddled most of the interesting bits of New Zealand, a bit of Australia, Thailand and a few days in Canada up near the bottom of Alaska. The biggest trip, 38 days circumnavigating Vanua Levu, Fiji.

The key to the whole thing at sea is knowing what is likely to happen, not what the conditions are at present.

If someone says "Don't go out." and the conditions are good, they probably know bad weather is coming. The OP, from his writing, knows nothing of this so he abuses the police who are trying to stop him getting into trouble and the rest of us having to pay to get him out of it.

He then says "I'm a compassionate person love people" and promptly goes and abuses people, the police, who are trying to protect him.
HookiT

I spent many hours of my youth fishing from the jetties at Westport,day and night we use to live across the road from port. Used to buy threepence worth of cats meat from butcher, caught many big eels and Kahawai. Cock a bullies galore off the slip way.
AndrewRawlingson

Whatever the situation, you're still allowed to be an idiot aren't you? Legal caveat being that you are not breaking the law, and moral caveat being that you are not endangering anyone else directly.
Mac50L

HookiT wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:02 am I spent many hours of my youth fishing from the jetties at Westport,day and night we use to live across the road from port.
I presume you went to North School. We had the two story house on Queen St.
Here, our Men's Shed treasurer went to South School before leaving for Auckland for work.
Basically a "Small World" thing.
Mac50L

AndrewRawlingson wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:00 pm Whatever the situation, you're still allowed to be an idiot aren't you? Legal caveat being that you are not breaking the law, and moral caveat being that you are not endangering anyone else directly.
It is illegal to kill yourself and if you fail to do it, someone has to rescue you which costs money, meaning someone has to pay.
We don't know how many others you are endangering when they go to save you from your own stupidity.
AndrewRawlingson

It's not illegal to kill yourself. As for the rest, where do you draw the line and who decides?
peteatkina
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Rough....
Sounds like you shouldve pulled out your fone, vhf, epirp and other safety equipment n explained you were preped for the conditions that you had checked on a forecast pre launch!
Coast Guard only had your interests in mind.
Police hate being videoed. Fone out. point randomly n ask questions!
Next trip will be better!
Mac50L

peteatkina wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:39 amSounds like you should've pulled out your fone, vhf, epirp and other safety equipment and explained you were prepped for the conditions that you had checked on a forecast pre launch!
Except it is unlikely he had any of that and it doesn't sound like he knew what the forecast was otherwise it would most likely have been mentioned.

The mention of a "wave depth of 1 cm". This is a dead flat calm and waves are measured in height. Were the waves actually 1 metre high? There was no mention of wind speed which is the most important item.

Can someone explain what "in silk up to my knees" means.
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

ahh, the silky sounds of Diarrhea

and being up your knees in it
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

None of any of the above is important. What really counts is if you caught any fish and got pics to prove it. You could have risked being as dead as this website is generally, and unless you got pics of the fish it counts for naught.

It could be an argument for greater social policing by a 'woke' citizenry but why aren't the police shutting down every pub or social gathering in a pre-emptive strike against drunk driving deaths? As Andrew mentioned, where do we draw the line, especially if we are going to say it's OK to stop someone going out on a rough day.
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

There's a Hunting forum, on which a chap was recently making dramatic posts with a complete disregard to the English Language.

His ( I assume male) general demeanour was that of a screaming baby with no concept of punctuation and the entitlement of a 13 yr old whose phone has been confiscated.

He was drummed out, then this Ryanocean turns up here, with a similar screaming one sentence post.

Or there could be two of them....

:)
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish
Mac50L

Marc N wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 amHis ( I assume male) general demeanour was that of a screaming baby with no concept of punctuation and the entitlement of a 13 yr old whose phone has been confiscated.

He was drummed out, then this Ryanocean turns up here, with a similar screaming one sentence post.

Or there could be two of them.... :)
Is there a problem with education and schooling? The simple use of English and writing it? Actually the first post had 2 sentences (one fullstop) but no capital letter or space to make it obvious so it looked like a single 100+ word sentence.

The most important item, what the predicted weather was has still not been addressed. There was no fishing mentioned.
Pannie Hunter
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Scrambler XT

I'm hardly an old hat at kayak fishing, I've only been doing it around 7 years, but I've never drawn the attention of the Coast Guard or the police. Maybe I'm just lucky........or maybe I'm not reckless?

There are plenty of nice flat days to get out on the water. There's no need to put yourself in a sketchy situation.