Newbie in South Auckland

Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
Pattyfish
Kayak Make: Fish master
Kayak Model: Elite 4

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:40 pm

Hi folks, boat and land based fished in the past and decided a yak looks like fun...
Mainly looking to use softbaits and lures to keep the mess down.
New to this so any hints and tips are much appreciated, also looking to tag along on a few Auckland trips over winter if possible.
Currently using a fishmaster elite 4. I'm looking to wire it up with a budget fishfinder if anyone has any experience/input that would be great.
Cheers Alastair

SitDown

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:31 am

Welcome to the forum
Get a fishfinder that has gps tracking on it, so you can mark fish when you hook up, then track back to where you were & catch his mates

Whatever fishfinder/gps unit you get, make sure the transducer fits in the scupper under the yak

Pattyfish

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:52 am

Was looking at a Lawrance Hook 2 or a Garmin Striker. Good call on the transducer size as I hadn't thought of that one.

Badfisherman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:58 am

Garmin striker is good but the transducer is huge - doesn't fit very well in a pro fish

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:03 pm

I had Garmin striker 7sv in my fishmaster elite 4, the transducer comes with a 'trolling motor mount' that I used to strap it to, a piece of 2"-ish pvc pipe, cut to fit, in the transducer well and glued in with Selley's AllClear.

The cable went up the hole in the well and the head unit was mounted on the floor just aft the centre console.

I ran the cables into the centre console and cut a wee hole into the hull and had the battery velcroed onto the interior hull bottom beneath the centre port hole .

Hope this helps.
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Pattyfish

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:10 am

Thanks for the replies. Reasonably sure I'm ok for space but want to avoid drilling extra holes as much as possible...
On another note are the no named radios ok to use or is it best to stick to the likes of uniden?

DeltaDivingNZ
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: NIL

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:19 am

I also have a FishMaster Elite4 kayak. It came with a Lowrance hook2-4 with GPS already wired in. I've only used it twice, but seems to be a good entry level fish finder/GPS combo at an affordable price

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/boating/ ... ok2-4x-gps

I'm happy to send photo's of how it is installed if you wish to go down this path.

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm

Pattyfish wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:10 am
On another note are the no named radios ok to use or is it best to stick to the likes of uniden?
What do you mean by no-name radio? I don't think i've seen any VHF radios that weren't a well known brand. I would stick with something well known as it's your best form of communication on the water. Make sure its waterproof. At least 5W and floating are good attributes to have too. I use the cheap yellow Uniden, which is OK (but not great). When it dies, I'll be upgrading to something better.

And don't forget you need a license to use it for anything other than an emergency.

The East Auckland Kayak Fishing Club is relatively local for you. The club has fairly regular club trips (when the weather co-operates :@ ), mostly around Maraetai to Kaiaua (incl Orere Point) but a couple of times a year travel further afield (eg the club has a weekend trip to Oakura this weekend).
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

Pattyfish

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:26 am

I'd found a few budget units on trademe but decided it's the one thing you don't want to go cheap on so I've just got a Cobra MH350 6W. Looks like you can do the license online so I'll check that out tonight.
Thanks for the info on the East Auckland Club, good to see they actively go out!
For those of you with Elite4's if you could send a pic or two that would be a great help.

DeltaDivingNZ

Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:05 am

Casualtyward wrote:

And don't forget you need a license to use it for anything other than an emergency.

Interesting point you raise there - I was unaware of this. Is there no dedicated VHF channel used for general chat etc?

Al
Kayak Model: Profish GT
VHF Call Sign: ZMX8443

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:31 am

I am looking at a 630 launch at Sunkist Bay in Beachlands tomorrow... If U wanted to head out I can show you some spots... :)
Don't let the best you have done so far, be the standard for the rest of your life.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJM0wT ... ZyON0RhYkg
Callsign: ZMX8443
Current Rig: Reload all the way.
Past Rig: Profish GT and Cheap Chinese Kayak.

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:45 am

DeltaDivingNZ wrote:
Casualtyward wrote:

Interesting point you raise there - I was unaware of this. Is there no dedicated VHF channel used for general chat etc?
Yes there are channels for general chit chat (or ship to ship communication with your buddies), but you still need a licence. It's a bit like driving a car, you still need a licence, even if you're only tootling around a carpark.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

DeltaDivingNZ

Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:23 am

Casualtyward wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:45 am
DeltaDivingNZ wrote:
Casualtyward wrote:

Yes there are channels for general chit chat (or ship to ship communication with your buddies), but you still need a licence. It's a bit like driving a car, you still need a licence, even if you're only tootling around a carpark.
Awesome mate thanks for that information.

Pattyfish

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:39 am

Hi Al. Missed your earlier post but if the offer is still there I'm keen to meet up when time/weather permitting...

Al
Kayak Model: Profish GT
VHF Call Sign: ZMX8443

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:35 pm

Pattyfish wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:39 am
Hi Al. Missed your earlier post but if the offer is still there I'm keen to meet up when time/weather permitting...
Sweet as... It's been a bit quiet out there... Bring on spring!
Don't let the best you have done so far, be the standard for the rest of your life.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJM0wT ... ZyON0RhYkg
Callsign: ZMX8443
Current Rig: Reload all the way.
Past Rig: Profish GT and Cheap Chinese Kayak.

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:48 pm

Weather, know your weather, what it is going to become. Here are some websites which could be good, others will suggest other sites too -
https://www.marineweather.co.nz/forecasts
https://www.myweather2.com/Marine/Globa ... kland.aspx
http://www.swellmap.com/boating/new-zealand/inner-gulf

Wind speed - remember 1 knot is near 2 kph.

Your VHF should get a station in your area for weather. No licence is OK if you are using it for listening and emergency. Make sure your battery is charged. Mine had NiCads or NiMH and I went to LiPo because I have the equipment for charging. A vast improvement in hours of running.

Know how to get back on board if you fall off. Practise it. Paddling, use your body (rotation) for power rather than just elbow bending.

• Information