Newbie, me :)

Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi all,

I just bought a Kayak, and I'm fitting it out now, hoping to be on the water in a week or so.

I'm in Birkenhead, Auckland, and my rationale in getting a Kayak, was portability, as against a Tinny and outboard.

Also, not only can I get the 'yak on my roof rack, but I can fish, Lake Pupuke (coarse fishing, yes I do :) ), Takapuna and out in the Gulf, the Harbour up to Kauri point, but also there's Waikato River, Lake Taupo, any beach, East and West coasts and any of the other myriad of waters in this skinny land of ours.

I am really impressed with the tech that 'yaks come with these days, the last time I looked seriously at a canoe for fishing, was when the latest and greatest thing, was a sit in, fibreglass canoe, that would fill with water if you weren't careful and it came with - a paddle...

So I'm finding this forum a great resource, thanks to all for the information and ideas herein.

Photo of my new 'yak, (not set up and whilst the photo says "Winner" the delivered model is branded "Fishmaster Kayaks")

I've christened it "Valkohai", Finnish for Great White Shark, hopefully not tempting fate :)

Image
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

manxmann
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:20 pm

Hey and welcome.

I actually bought the same boat 2 weeks ago and after 4 trips I'm very impressed. The only slight problem is the circle hatches are a bit of a pain to open with wet hands but it's not a hug issue, a bit of grip tape sorted it out no problem. It's nice and fast through the water but does sacrifice some stability.

Did you get it from wave passion in Albany?

Happy paddles :D

User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:48 am

manxmann wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:20 pm
Hey and welcome.

I actually bought the same boat 2 weeks ago and after 4 trips I'm very impressed. The only slight problem is the circle hatches are a bit of a pain to open with wet hands but it's not a hug issue, a bit of grip tape sorted it out no problem. It's nice and fast through the water but does sacrifice some stability.

Did you get it from wave passion in Albany?

Happy paddles :D
What colour is yours? I didn't like the red, looked to me like a chunk of whale carcass, beckoning to sharks :) Just like you see in the nature doccos...

I got some spray silicon on the circle hatches and the rubber one up front and they work well enough now, but they were stiff, yes.

Yes, Wave Passion in Albany, I still can't believe the price when compared to the NZ made ones.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Also Manxman, can I ask? Did you get the seat, that is like two pads and clips on, or the seat that looks more like a beach chair and is raised on about 8cm legs?
Cheers

Marc
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Mitch65
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:04 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Espri Angler
Location: West Harbour

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:12 pm

Welcome aboard, quite a few of us regularly go out from Narrowneck, might help to look at posts from Luke1 ( unofficial mayor of Narrowneck) as he keeps telling me.
Viking Espri Angler

Plenty of time to sleep when you die

manxmann
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:25 am

Hey I got the desert camo one. Wasn't too keen on the red either.

The price was pretty hard to ignore. Got the mrs an entry level yak at the same time and they reduced the price somewhat which was good.

Sorry for the slow reply for some reason the Tapatalk app isn't sending me any notifications.

Hopefully see you out there.

manxmann
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:27 am

Marc N wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:12 pm
Also Manxman, can I ask? Did you get the seat, that is like two pads and clips on, or the seat that looks more like a beach chair and is raised on about 8cm legs?
Cheers

Marc
I got the seat that is like two pads and a little backpack on the back. When the sea gets rough it's always good to have a low centre of gravity. It makes the boat much easier to control.

Seems all good. A little padding under the bum wouldn't go a miss though.

User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Mitch65 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:12 pm
Welcome aboard, quite a few of us regularly go out from Narrowneck, might help to look at posts from Luke1 ( unofficial mayor of Narrowneck) as he keeps telling me.
Thanks for the, I'll keep an eye out.

I'm planning to launch at Takapuna boat ramp when my 'yak is ready, as I drop my wife off in Takapuna every morning, as I'm semi retired/

Also, many years ago I used to fish over by Rangi, near a big red navigation buoy, see buoy 11 on this map https://at.govt.nz/media/1157005/harbou ... itions.pdf

I used to come back with all sorts of fish, very productive spot that, there's a bit of a shoal going on N/E a bit.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:24 pm

manxmann wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:27 am
Marc N wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:12 pm
Also Manxman, can I ask? Did you get the seat, that is like two pads and clips on, or the seat that looks more like a beach chair and is raised on about 8cm legs?
Cheers

Marc
I got the seat that is like two pads and a little backpack on the back. When the sea gets rough it's always good to have a low centre of gravity. It makes the boat much easier to control.

Seems all good. A little padding under the bum wouldn't go a miss though.
mmm I got the deck chair version on the basis that I wouldn't be sitting in a pool of water all day.

I'll keep an eye out for your Desert Camp Elite 4.

Cheers

Marc
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

User avatar
mikG
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:21 am
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: FnD
Location: taradise

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Great White? Youve tempted fate and you will probably die


User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:10 am

mikG wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:06 pm
Great White? Youve tempted fate and you will probably die
Yep I thought that too.

Wait until you see what I've got coming for the bow...

Inspired by 'dedant' in this thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22478

I've ordered a set of these: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Cartoon- ... SwMQBZ9pMU

Image

They'll keep the big sharks at bay :)
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

User avatar
eynon
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:32 pm
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8769
Location: Papakura

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:42 am

topwater lure for killer whales :rofl:
ZMU8769 - OK Prowler 4.7

User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:05 pm

eynon wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:42 am
topwater lure for killer whales :rofl:
Yep, mind you, when I was a young fella, I used sail a Laser and an A class Cat up around Kawau and sometimes the Orca would come and swim next to me, they never seemed to be more than curious.

I reckon they are too clever to be taken in by graphics on a 'yak, but I'll let you know if I get eaten :o
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:25 am

manxmann wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:27 am
Seems all good. A little padding under the bum wouldn't go a miss though.
Well I finally got to test my 'yak, health had prevented my excursion for a week or two, and as a 1st test, it all went reasonably well.

I haven't been in a Canoe or Kayak for 40 odd years, and my set up for this boat, has been based on all the good information in this forum and from the vast youtubery resource.

So here's a couple of pics and my observations on how it went. I'd be keen to get comments from any who care to do so and also to compare notes with Manxmann, seeing as he's got the same boat.


Firstly, it's a light boat at ~ 30 kilos, so it's easy to get on and off the car.

Image

Secondly, once on the water, I was surprised about how much water came in via the scuppers. There must have been 10~15 kilos (litres) of water slopping from side to side and back and forth, this, I reckon, contributed to a quite twitchy, unstable feeling. I was able to to to do a reasonable though not long distance paddle from Little Shoal Bay up to Chelsea Sugar Works, without incident or problems whilst I sorted myself out. The 'yak was not slow and I didn't expect that it wouldn't track straight, without the frequent use of the rudder, as I say, I haven't been in a canoe for over 40 years.


Image

Thirdly, well, as seen in the photo, I went fully kitted, my Anchor and Chain and Warp alone must be 5 Kg, add about 10~15 Kg of rods, setline and other paraphernalia, I'm 110 Kg and this all means, I'm close to the stated 'Max Capacity: 158kgs'. So some water up the scuppers is to be expected I suppose. My next voyage will be with just two rods and a handful of gear to see what difference this makes to the trim level. And I could always lose 10 Kg myself. :?:


Image

Lastly, as discussed earlier, I have the seat like a deck chair that sits up off the 'yak by about 8 cm. I felt quite top heavy when paddling, so I'm gonna cut off about 5 cm of the legs on the chair. That and I'll use the scupper plugs that came with the boat and see if this makes a difference to the weight sloshing around in the boat.

Any hoo, I'm reasonably happy, I have to learn, not to take all my fishing gear, with me, all of the time :$
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

User avatar
FatherOfMany
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:34 am
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858
Location: Papakura, Auckland
Contact:

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:40 pm

I've read on the Old Town Predators Facebook group that the industry standard when it comes to max capacity is that you should not go over 75% of it... Dont know if that's just Old Town's excuse, but worth reading up about.

The other thing is that adding the scupper plugs might make your boat a little less stable. You and your gear's weight wants to go down, kayak wants to stay above water... If
nothing else gives, then stability does.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:07 am

FatherOfMany wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:40 pm
I've read on the Old Town Predators Facebook group that the industry standard when it comes to max capacity is that you should not go over 75% of it... Dont know if that's just Old Town's excuse, but worth reading up about.
Thanks for that info, yes I would imagine that's so. If it turns out the 'yak is too small fo me, I may have to get a bigger one :)
FatherOfMany wrote: The other thing is that adding the scupper plugs might make your boat a little less stable. You and your gear's weight wants to go down, kayak wants to stay above water... If nothing else gives, then stability does.
It'll be an experiment, if keeping the 'yak relatively dry makes me less stable then I won't use 'em. It's not the wet that concerns me, it's 15 Kg of water going from Port to Starboard all the time that worries me.

To be fair I thought I would have fallen out the first time, but even for a newbie like me, it was not unmanageable.

I've done an awful lot of sailing and boating in my years, and this is a new but manageable experience.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

User avatar
eynon
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:32 pm
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8769
Location: Papakura

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:46 am

im the same weight as you, dont seem to have any stability issues in my prowler 4.7 or the viking espri but the espri does sit lower in the water and i feel i dont get very good speed.

things are abit wobbly if i havent been kayaking in ages but not as bad as my first time, found that hopping off on an island or beach after some paddling helps when getting back on again.

have oneway scuppers under the seat but leave the others open, sometimes if there is some swell the water will come in abit heavy.

i recommend the keto diet. meat and greens with no carby stuff.
ZMU8769 - OK Prowler 4.7

User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:22 am

eynon wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:46 am
im the same weight as you, dont seem to have any stability issues in my prowler 4.7 or the viking espri but the espri does sit lower in the water and i feel i dont get very good speed.

things are abit wobbly if i havent been kayaking in ages but not as bad as my first time, found that hopping off on an island or beach after some paddling helps when getting back on again.

have oneway scuppers under the seat but leave the others open, sometimes if there is some swell the water will come in abit heavy.

i recommend the keto diet. meat and greens with no carby stuff.
Thanks for the comments. I guess that before I bought the boat I looked at the "Max Capacity: 158kgs" and thought, "plenty to spare", but I didn't take into account all the gear I should have left behind. And it is a smaller cheaper 'yak, so now I have an incentive to lose some weight and not take all my gear with me.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

dedant
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:11 pm
Kayak Make: Jackson Kayaks
Kayak Model: Kraken
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052
Location: West Auckland

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Marc N wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:22 am
eynon wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:46 am
im the same weight as you, dont seem to have any stability issues in my prowler 4.7 or the viking espri but the espri does sit lower in the water and i feel i dont get very good speed.

things are abit wobbly if i havent been kayaking in ages but not as bad as my first time, found that hopping off on an island or beach after some paddling helps when getting back on again.

have oneway scuppers under the seat but leave the others open, sometimes if there is some swell the water will come in abit heavy.

i recommend the keto diet. meat and greens with no carby stuff.
Thanks for the comments. I guess that before I bought the boat I looked at the "Max Capacity: 158kgs" and thought, "plenty to spare", but I didn't take into account all the gear I should have left behind. And it is a smaller cheaper 'yak, so now I have an incentive to lose some weight and not take all my gear with me.
With the huge storage available AND being a tackle junkie with OCD and ADHD..I carried what felt like 30kg extra on every fishing trip with my Viking Predator( 440 )!
You know who has just too much gear when you're setting up before everyone else has arrived at the carpark and still loading gear after they are in the water!! :$ ( the joys of the Tackle Pod :y: )
I am determined to pare down my floating tackle warehouse when I'm next on the water....watch this space!
Oh the best way to get familiar with a fishing method ie, softbaiting, is to only take the tackle needed for that method, that way you can concentrate on learning technique not swapping rods, terminal tackle, baits etc etc. ;)

I am lookig foward to fishing with you, "the toothy twosome " :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG (103.36 KiB) Viewed 129 times
Image

Jackson KRAKEN dedant

User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:32 pm

dedant wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:06 pm
Marc N wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:22 am
eynon wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:46 am
im the same weight as you, dont seem to have any stability issues in my prowler 4.7 or the viking espri but the espri does sit lower in the water and i feel i dont get very good speed.

things are abit wobbly if i havent been kayaking in ages but not as bad as my first time, found that hopping off on an island or beach after some paddling helps when getting back on again.

have oneway scuppers under the seat but leave the others open, sometimes if there is some swell the water will come in abit heavy.

i recommend the keto diet. meat and greens with no carby stuff.
Thanks for the comments. I guess that before I bought the boat I looked at the "Max Capacity: 158kgs" and thought, "plenty to spare", but I didn't take into account all the gear I should have left behind. And it is a smaller cheaper 'yak, so now I have an incentive to lose some weight and not take all my gear with me.
With the huge storage available AND being a tackle junkie with OCD and ADHD..I carried what felt like 30kg extra on every fishing trip with my Viking Predator( 440 )!
You know who has just too much gear when you're setting up before everyone else has arrived at the carpark and still loading gear after they are in the water!! :$ ( the joys of the Tackle Pod :y: )
I am determined to pare down my floating tackle warehouse when I'm next on the water....watch this space!
Oh the best way to get familiar with a fishing method ie, softbaiting, is to only take the tackle needed for that method, that way you can concentrate on learning technique not swapping rods, terminal tackle, baits etc etc. ;)

I am lookig foward to fishing with you, "the toothy twosome " :lol:

Yes we may have to muzzle them if the water visibility is too good, we might scare off the fish :o
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests