Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
TonyEason
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Fish&Dive

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm Tony new to the forum.

I left my job of 18 years to follow my passion for starting a Kayak Fishing business in Auckland.

I'd be really keen to get some feedback and help from everyone.

I've got enough capital to get started with 4 x singles and 2 x doubles to take 8 clients out at a time. I have suppliers for everything so I'm sorted with that. I want to offer:

* A 5hr kayak fishing adventure 7am - 12pm and 2pm-3pm Monday-Saturday launching from Maraetai Beach.
* Fully kitted kayaks with fishing equipment, life jacket, paddles etc.
* A fun-filled adventure catching snapper off Maraetai Beach.

Can you tell me:

1) would you or anyone you know be keen in doing a trip like this?
2) what would you be wiling to pay to do a trip like this? (please choose one price) $47 $97 $127
3) what 3 things would expect to get from the trip?
4) what would make you want to come back again?
5) what would make you not come back again?
5) anything else you think I should consider?

Thanks guys.
I'd really appreciate your support.

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:55 am

TonyEason wrote:

Can you tell me:

2) what would you be wiling to pay to do a trip like this? (please choose one price) $47 $97 $127

Thanks guys.
I'd really appreciate your support.
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum!

I'll get the ball rolling:

Me personally, probably not - I already have a kayak and fish near there regularly. I have a few friends who might be interested as a taster

I think the lowest price point will always be the most appealing, but is that a realistic price to cover your overheads.
I think at your top end, you're starting to compete with a decent charter boat

1) Catch fish, 2) Be warm and comfortable, 3) Have fun

Catching fish. I don't need to catch my limit or haul in a 20lber every second cast, but I'd like to come away with a good feed. A variety of species is always good too.

I can live with not catching fish if it's still fun and the guide is trying to catch fish. If the guide is bored or inattentive to the clients it annoys me.

Is Maraetai the best place to launch from? Or is that just the base and you'd travel if necessary e.g. Waitawa, Orere, Kaiaua? Will it be bait or softbait/lures? Can you keep a close enough eye on four other kayaks ie is 8 people too many? Have you considered the cost of compliance with the relevant Health and Safety Legislation? Will you do all your own gear maintenance - I imagine punters could be quite hard on the gear (rods and reels particularly)?
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Welcome along mate... great to see the passion, I will just grab stuff out of the air here BUT, the compliance costs etc has recently just killed one of the best guiding businesses into touch in the last couple of years, not sure how far down the road you have gone looking into that, if so cool, if not I think you maybe in for a bit of a shock... Ask Rob Fort for more detail, the regs are pretty stupid, Rob can hire a kayak to anyone and away the they go for the day regardless of experience, but if he with all his experience cannot guide them, comes under a different set of laws... someone else in here may have a better understanding of the exact intricacies then myself, but i can remember talking to Rob about it and it really is hard to get your head around some of the rules and regs.... But I would certainly look into that side of things mate...I am not a killjoy honestly :^)

TonyEason

Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:38 pm

thanks for your valuable response.
i will take all your input on board while i conduct my research.
really valuable information and appreciate it.

thanks again.tony

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:37 pm

TonyEason wrote:
Hi Tony. Which one of us hasn't thought about doing something like this? I hope it works out for you. I think the market would be tourists and people wishing to try kayak fishing for the first time. Anyone more advanced would be looking to buy their own yak I would have thought.

1) As above.
2) I don't think the top end price is too much for tourists. Actually, that's pretty cheap for a day out.
3) Safety, appropriate paddle wear, couple of fish always a bonus.
4) As per number 3 and good service (friendly and accommodating, not patronising). Too many businesses in NZ behave like they are doing the customer a free favour.
5) The opposite of numbers 3 and 4.
5) :) Weather is a big thing, it's so bloody unpredictable, I don't know how you'd get anything nailed down. Even more of an issue with newbie kayakers. Maybe less of an issues in the sheltered waters of Auckland? Also, I imagine that looking after a group of new kayak fishers would be like herding cats. It would be difficult to offer tuition on fishing and safe paddling at the same time for more than one or two people. Far harder than taking people out on a charter boat in this respect.

Certainly some challenges, but good luck :)

TonyEason

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:23 pm

Thanks mate.
My wife is a FB marketing expert and will target tourist niche
which should be helpful. Awesome insight and definitely need
to think about how to manage non-english speaking tourists and
how to keep group together and safe.

Really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Cheers. Tony.

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:02 am

You might want to consider targeting groups of experienced kayak anglers in other countries, It would be appealing for them to come out as a group, fish hardcore for a week or so, then see some of the country. I know many yak fishos in the UK that would cut off a reproductive organ just to get in to some decent pannie snapper on soft bait gear. If you could sort out bach/cabin-style accommodation for them, that would work very well. Evening fish filleting and cooking tuition sessions, talking shit and drinking a few beers. Damn, sounds so good, I might join you :D

TonyEason

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:55 am

Cheers for the advice Andrew.
a great idea to target outside anglers and
definitely worth considering expanding to include
accommodation & cooking would add to the overall
experience. love it! thanks a lot mate really appreciate it.

• Information