Land locked for 20 years

Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
eljefe
Kayak Make: cant remember
Kayak Model: will update later
VHF Call Sign: whiskey tango foxtro

Thu May 19, 2016 10:42 am

hi guys and gals,
I've recently returned to NZ and moved to North Nelson after 20 years living in the high andes (above 2500m above sea level) in land-locked Bolivia and boy oh boy do I need to get back into fishing. I grabbed a Prowler Elite 4.5 off a neighbourhood facebook page and some gear and am ready to rumble. I took advantage of the great April weather and got out three times (from the estuary just before delaware bay), but so far have only snagged one edible snapper, and a bunch of junk.

I was wondering if anyone was interested in taking a newbie out and showing them the ropes? I live in Lud Valley and have a flexible work schedule so I can head out at short notice? PM me if you might be interested and then we can trade phone numbers/emails/facebook etc

Otherwise I was wondering if anyone had some general guidelines on which winds (strength ranges and directions) are best for putting in at Cable bay? battling the rip in and out of the estuary is only so much fun so many times (and I guess I get the times and tides wrong sometimes).

Also keen to hear any suggestions rigs and baits for winter fishing as it gets colder.

cheers
Alistair

mullett
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: tetra 12

Thu May 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Welcome to the forum, no problem sending you a message next time I go out, probably not this weekend as weather does not look like it will play the game, cable bay is good.

Patrick
Kingie 89 cm at Kina, Snapper 84 cm at Cable, Blue Cod 45cm at cable,
Gurnard 50cm at Keiteriteri , Khawai 64cm at Kina.

Tetra 12 ( 01/2015- 11/2016)
Trident 4,3 new (11/2016 -

RJ
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: ultra 4.7

Sun May 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Welcome to the forum eljefe
You have picked a nice part of the country to move to..

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu May 26, 2016 3:08 pm

Welcome. A few suggestions.

I try and plan My Delaware bay trips so the tide is going in the same direction as I am paddling both ways.

West or Northwest winds tend to be better at Delware bay if you are close to the island. Otherwise it's quite exposed to the wind.

North East swell really seem sot roll in there.

Snapper season is nearly over. But there are terakihi and Blue Cod in close around the outer end of Peppin Island. Gurnard are still around and are the main fish over winter. heaps of stuff on here about targeting gurnard. Ideally you want sand or silt bottom and to keep your bait moving.

Often you have to anchor burley and just fish through the spiny dogs etc.

If find oily fish bait works well e.g. bonito. Also squid and prawns. Keep your baits moving - cast out into the burley trail and retrieve it back along the bottom with a couple of winds every minute or so. A lure skipped along the bottom also works.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

mullett
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: tetra 12

Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:11 am

Eljefe have you managed to get out and do some fishing? How did you get on?
Kingie 89 cm at Kina, Snapper 84 cm at Cable, Blue Cod 45cm at cable,
Gurnard 50cm at Keiteriteri , Khawai 64cm at Kina.

Tetra 12 ( 01/2015- 11/2016)
Trident 4,3 new (11/2016 -

• Information