Touring visit from UK kayaker.

Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
Jon Rundle
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: prowler
VHF Call Sign: labrax

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:17 am

resized 58cm.jpg
resized 58cm.jpg (65.79 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
kitley mullet.jpg
kitley mullet.jpg (80.93 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
kitley flounder.jpg
kitley flounder.jpg (116.87 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
H Guy's,
Tried to think of a better subject title but that say's it all unfortunately.
I work in the Ambulance service here in the UK and following an accident I suddenly have a month's leave thrust upon me. Have family in Wellington where I'll start and end but trying to make a fishing tour out of the trip.Heading up North for Kingfish to start with out of a charter but much prefer kayak or small boat fishing.
Are there spots where I could hire a kayak and explore/fish basically anywhere around both Islands, thought about buying one to strap to the car but it's just not practical in the three weeks I'll have travelling.
Have included some UK pics just to prove my credentials.
All the best
Jon

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:52 am

Welcome ,you could try Rob Fort from Coromandel Kayak Adventures if you are in that area ,there is also a number of others around the country try the Google approach for a wider spectrum, I'm sure others will be along soon with more help ,best of luck , hope you enjoy our beautiful country and keep up with the TR's as you go will look forward to watching your progress, stay safe :y: cheers Kerry

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

Kayak Adventures
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: To many models to name
VHF Call Sign: ZMS6165

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi Jon, yes if you are in the Coromandel Town area during your visit we have fishing kayaks available all kitted up and ready to fish from. Fish finder, softbaits, tackle, dry gear and rods/reels available also (bait/salt-ice shop next door) and plenty of advice on where to get into some fish - you won't want to go home! :-)
Cheers
Janet & Rob
All the best from the team

Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coromande ... 33?sk=wall

Stockists of the worlds best brands! Fishing Kayaks, Accessories, Watersport Clothing, Spearfishing Gear and Fishing Tackle

Jon Rundle

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Sounds great,thanks for both your replies.
Jon :clap:

Fishless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Fishless

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi Jon,

I'm a Cornish lad, you are going to blow your top when you hook into some nice fish over here, think I giggled the entire time I hooked my first decent snapper and kingy. Can't go wrong with Coromandel and Robs the guy to see to find out the local hotspots at the time, north shore has good action as well, west coast can be choppy but if you brave it or get a good day, no where will disappoint.

On that note don't dismiss the fresh water here, some large trout abound in the lakes and rivers, you can pick up a visitors game licence cheap.

Good luck and give us a yell, never know may get some locals to join in at the time :)

Fishless.
Personal Bests

Snapper - 64 cm
Kingfish - 110cm 17kg
Kahawai - 57 cm

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:35 pm

If you are in Auckland , I may have a kayak you can use ( rod&reel , etc too )

Glass is Class.. dedant

Jon Rundle

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:52 am

Thanks Fishless,
I saw you were a Brit when looking back on old posts. Not many fish left here in the UK that test a drag,had to get a beefier reel that I hope will be used. I was planning on getting a licence and having a go at trout when in the South,would have to be where spinning is allowed as I just cant fit the fly gear in as well.

AntN, What a generous offer. Have got the fishing gear,will give you a shout if down that way

Thanks both

Jon

yakkingbrendon
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution
VHF Call Sign: NIL

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:25 am

Definitely go to Coramandel and catch up with Rob .
I managed to squeeze in an afternoon with Rob a couple of years ago whilst visiting from Australia and had a great experience just wish I had longer .
Plotting to go out with Rob on one of his mother ship trips one day .
Here is my trip report to give you a taste .
http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... =8&t=18520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jon Rundle

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:46 pm

Inspiring post,thanks for the link.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi Jon,

Just tripped over this thread.
There's a yak available to you in the Bay of Islands too if you make it up this far.

Enjoy the fishing!
HLD
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Jon Rundle

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:15 am

/attachment]
Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Hi Jon,

Just tripped over this thread.
There's a yak available to you in the Bay of Islands too if you make it up this far.

Enjoy the fishing!
HLD
Aaaah! I missed this one and would have bitten your hand off if I'd seen it.
I did get to Paihia and fished for two day's on a charter. Had good snapper and Kingfish plus the experience of Bronze whalers taking hooked Kingie's. This was the most fishy spot I've ever experienced,went to the Hole in the Rock and further around. I was gobsmacked when I realised the broken water around the structure was actually shoals of thousands of fish made up of different species,my flyfishing mates would have been drooling. I would have loved to have had the freedom of spinning with light gear for these whilst having a live bait out on another rod but being on a charter had to conform albeit it was only my daughter myself and one other so plenty of space.
snapper.JPG
kingfish.JPG
head of kingfish.jpg
Can only imagine how much better it would be from a Yak.
I made it to Coromandel as well,couldn't believe how almost everyone has a boat behind the car or on the
driveway. Made contact with Rob but was advised the effects of the cyclone would make it unadvisable to even try at that time.Had similar down near Nelson when I tried going out on a small boat.
had a go off the rocks in that area with lures but the water was very cloudy and I didn't get a touch.
So even though it wasn't my choice of vessel at least the charter let me see the fabulous abundance and quality you have over there.
Back in Devon now and just had a hail squall blow through. I watched the gust take off the roof of my birdtable and it blew my Prowler 13 six feet uphill!
Thanks for your help and offers. I will return but it must be longer next time.
Jon

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:24 am

Looks like you got a good taster. When are you moving over? :rofl:

Jon Rundle

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:42 am

If only! One of the first things the family said on my return was " We are NOT moving!" .
I was going on about it so much they got it in first before it was suggested. Saying that I do love my bit of England:
google earth image of Noss Mayo.jpg
I tried not to join in with all the Brits I met abroad saying England is going down the pan but the truth is that it is and it will only get worse. I guess the fact the population is so relatively small helps people in New Zealand be so friendly? I came away feeling that if we had to design a land to be like an Ark for a sinking UK then we'd come up with your country.
Anyone visiting South Devon in the UK,get in touch and I'll try my best to show you my patch.
Cheers
Jon

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:09 pm

I'm sure we could find you a new family, one that's more understanding...
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

• Information